• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

XD or XDm compact 45?

This is a discussion on XD or XDm compact 45? within the XD-45ACP Discussion Room forums, part of the XD Talk category; I'm planning to get a 45 ACP compact and can't decide if I should get the XD 4" or the XDm 3.8". Problem is, I'm ...

Old 12-24-2011, 03:57 PM   #1
XDTalk Member

Member #: 66849
XD or XDm compact 45?

I'm planning to get a 45 ACP compact and can't decide if I should get the XD 4" or the XDm 3.8". Problem is, I'm in California and can't get or try the XDm so I can't directly compare. I do know I like the XD. I can get the XDm version if I pay more using the single shot exemption thru a special FFL, which I'm willing to do if it's "better" than the XD.

Anyone have experience with both who can comment? I hear the ergonomics on the XDm are slightly nicer but honestly would really appreciate a more informed compare and contrast. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by sothoth; 12-24-2011 at 03:57 PM. Reason: typo
sothoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-24-2011, 04:02 PM   #2
XDTalk Member

Member #: 64569
Quote:
Originally Posted by sothoth View Post
I'm planning to get a 45 ACP compact and can't decide if I should get the XD 4" or the XDm 3.8". Problem is, I'm in California and can't get or try the XDm so I can't directly compare. I do know I like the XD. I can get the XDm version if I pay more using the single shot exemption thru a special FFL, which I'm willing to do if it's "better" than the XD.

Anyone have experience with both who can comment? I hear the ergonomics on the XDm are slightly nicer but honestly would really appreciate a more informed compare and contrast. Thanks in advance!
if you look around you can find dealers that will sse the xdm. you might also be able to find someone to ppt an xdm.
shooterfpga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 04:06 PM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 56640
I don't have either but will share my opinion. I have a 9mm xdm compact. If you have the cash or credit available and the price difference over the life of the pistol isn't too much for you then I would get the XDM compact .45. That is what I plan on getting eventually. I think the XD's are really nice and almost bought on but I am happy I didn't so I can get the m series again. I love my xdm compact.
hobie16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 04:10 PM   #4
XDTalk Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie16 View Post
...I would get the XDM compact .45.
Thanks for the suggestion. Specifically why do you prefer the XDm?
Old 12-24-2011, 04:10 PM   #5
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 64775
i first got the xdm the i got a xd service 45. save your money and get the xd. i wish i had got the xd to start with.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke.

WE DON'T CALL 911 !!!
shootinnc1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 04:44 PM   #6
XDTalk Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootinnc1988 View Post
i first got the xdm the i got a xd service 45. save your money and get the xd. i wish i had got the xd to start with.
So you prefer the XD or you just think the XDm isn't worth the extra money? Any specifics you can share (accuracy, ergonomics, reliability, appearance)?
Old 12-24-2011, 05:03 PM   #7
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 16215
Having handled both the XD-45c and the XDm-45c, I can say that I greatly prefer the XD-45c. The XDm-45c has a shorter grip and my pinky doesn't fit on the grip. That means that you either have to purchase an extended magazine butt-plate or you get used to wrapping your pinky under the bottom of the grip.

My EDC is a 5" XD-45 and the thing I like about the XD-45c is that my grip, draw, aim, and fire mechanics are identical to my primary weapon.

Really, for me, it comes down to liking my pinky to have some purchase on the grip.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

"Legalize The Constitution" - Bumper Sticker

"Every tool is a weapon - if you hold it right" - Ani DiFranco
Pugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 05:15 PM   #8
XDTalk Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugs View Post
I greatly prefer the XD-45c. The XDm-45c has a shorter grip and my pinky doesn't fit on the grip.
Just think of sticking out your pinky like it's tea time in england and you're being polite and dainty.

Since I don't conceal carry in CA (which is sort of a foregone conclusion here) like you I'd also prefer a reasonably sized grip, meaning one I can grab with all fingers. Thanks for that input, I otherwise would have guessed the grip is the same length.
Old 12-24-2011, 05:22 PM   #9
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 16215
Quote:
Originally Posted by sothoth View Post
Just think of sticking out your pinky like it's tea time in england and you're being polite and dainty.

Since I don't conceal carry in CA (which is sort of a foregone conclusion here) like you I'd also prefer a reasonably sized grip, meaning one I can grab with all fingers. Thanks for that input, I otherwise would have guessed the grip is the same length.
Keep in mind that's with the shorty compact magazine. Both weapons come with a full sized magazine and magazine sleeve that makes the grip the same length as a XD/XDm standard sized pistols.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

"Legalize The Constitution" - Bumper Sticker

"Every tool is a weapon - if you hold it right" - Ani DiFranco
Pugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 05:24 PM   #10
XDTalk Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugs View Post
Keep in mind that's with the shorty compact magazine. Both weapons come with a full sized magazine and magazine sleeve that makes the grip the same length as a XD/XDm standard sized pistols.
I think the extended mag is 13 rounds, right? If so, I can't use that here either. Lovely, huh?

So without the extended mags, they're both about the same as far as grip size?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD-45ACP Discussion Room

Search tags for this page
springfield xd 45 compact vs xdm 3.8 compact 45
springfield xd 45 compact vs xdm 45 compact
springfield xdm 45 compact vs xd 45 compact

xd 45 compact vs xdm

xd 45 compact vs xdm 3.8
xd 45 compact vs xdm 45

xd 45 compact vs xdm 45 compact

xd 45 vs xdm 45
xd compact 45 vs xdm 45 compact
xd compact vs xdm 45
xdm 45 compact vs xd 45 compact
xdm 45 compact vs xdm 45
Click on a term to search for related topics.