• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

a few ?'s from a rookie wanting to improve his 4"

This is a discussion on a few ?'s from a rookie wanting to improve his 4" within the XD-45ACP Discussion Room forums, part of the XD Talk category; I've put a few thousand rounds through my 4" .45 XD and now i want to change a few things. I've been checking out Springer ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD-45ACP Discussion Room » a few ?'s from a rookie wanting to improve his 4"

Old 08-23-2011, 11:51 PM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 62536
a few ?'s from a rookie wanting to improve his 4"

I've put a few thousand rounds through my 4" .45 XD and now i want to change a few things. I've been checking out Springer Precision. I've never done ANY customization to a pistol before, so i wanted to get a few pointers/tips from you guys first. 2 questions

1: Are there any disadvantages to reducing the strength of my recoil spring? I've seen a few that have a 16lb rating. My first thought when i pulled this gun out of the box was, "Man! I get a workout just pulling the slide!"

2: I may be spoiled from my kimber, but i feel the trigger has alot of travel in it. I dont mind the pull weight so much, just the distance. SP has a trigger kit for $130, is it worth it? Could I install it?

Thanks guys!!!
Heelsby20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-24-2011, 12:56 AM   #2
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 28164
Springer makes a good kit as does PRP and they provide good instructions and will help if you need to call them. That said, the kits will improve the trigger by reducing the travel but don't expect it to be a 1911 trigger. The trigger job will get it close just don't expect it to feel exactly like the Kimber. if you've never worked on a gun before and are not familiar with doing safety checks then sending it in is a good option.

I'll let others chime in on the spring change. Too light can cause different issues but mine are Compacts with a captured spring assembly. No idea about the spring rates in the Service model.

Welcome BTW!
Old 08-24-2011, 02:07 AM   #3
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 27336
Unless you are shooting reduced power reloads, keep the stock recoil assembly or a new option, go with the Canyon Creek 22# spring and guiderod. Do not know of any 16 lb spring for XD45, That is way too light. If the spring does not hold the slide in-battery long enough for the pressure to drop, you can have high pressure gasses discharged into the slide and out the port. This will also really slam the slide open and could lead to long term damage. It can also mess with the entire slide function timing for ejection, mag pushing up next round and slide pickup to chamber the new round. As a quick check, ejected brass should ideally fall 3-6 ft from the ejection port. Most full power ammo in the XD45 4" will throw brass about 8-10ft even with the stock spring, so would not recommend going lighter. The Canyon Creek springs seem good for those needing to tune the pistol for shooting low power ammo and then switching back to higher strength springs for SD ammo. The stock assembly will have a longer life (more cycles) than the specialty springs.
Either Springer or PRP, both make a good easy to fit trigger kit. If you can work a file and emory cloth you can do the job. Mixing of kit parts is not recommended. Instructional videos are around. I think Canyon Creek also carries trigger modification parts, but not familiar with that. Springer has disassembly/assembly videos stickied on the forum. .
Trijicon / PRP / PistolGear barrels / SuperTuck
NRA Endowment Member SAF Member
ThumperIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:40 PM   #4
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 62536
Thanks for the facts. You've definitely pointed me in a better direction. I've done a bit more research, which backs both of you. I've know my xd has a 2 spring captive recoil system, which i think is the reason its so darn hard to rack. Will going to a single spring make for easier racking but still allow it to lock up properly? I plan on ordering the Canyon 22# kit after the reviews i read. If its not for me, then its only a $33 mistake (i've made worse).
As for the trigger, i think i'm going to go for it and try the springer kit eventually. I do shoot a bunch of .45's, so most of my money goes towards more rounds... LOL. I'll spend the $130 on the trigger when i feel i can install it seamlessly.
Heelsby20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:54 AM   #5
XDTalk 35K Member

Member #: 15886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heelsby20 View Post
Thanks for the facts. You've definitely pointed me in a better direction. I've done a bit more research, which backs both of you. I've know my xd has a 2 spring captive recoil system, which i think is the reason its so darn hard to rack. Will going to a single spring make for easier racking but still allow it to lock up properly?
In a word ... NO !!

You'll need the same spring rate (compressive force) for the gun to function as it currently does ... See Thumper's explanation !!

I'd stay close to stock, but ... If you really want to spend the money and change the spring, go for it.

Myself, I'm still running the stock spring, in a stock gun - XD9 Fails - The title is sarcasm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heelsby20 View Post
I plan on ordering the Canyon 22# kit after the reviews i read. If its not for me, then its only a $33 mistake (i've made worse).
As for the trigger, i think i'm going to go for it and try the springer kit eventually. I do shoot a bunch of .45's, so most of my money goes towards more rounds... LOL. I'll spend the $130 on the trigger when i feel i can install it seamlessly.
Concerning the trigger, all I can say is many people like the Springer kit, and you'll not really go wrong with a Springer, Canyon Creek, or Powder River unit ... This is based on many reads of what others have said about these units, and most importantly their ability to install the kit, properly.
AZXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:32 PM   #6
XDTalk Member

Member #: 60296
I really thought this was going to be a thread about an ad for a little blue pill you got in an e-mail.

Since it's not, I'll research triggers too.

XD .45 ACP, 4"
Sig Skeeter .22
Ruger GP 100, 4"
Daisy .177
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

vicridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 08:55 AM   #7
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 42421
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicridr View Post
i really thought this was going to be a thread about an ad for a little blue pill you got in an e-mail.
roflmao!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
Staticxd00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:33 PM   #8
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 58908
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicridr View Post
I really thought this was going to be a thread about an ad for a little blue pill you got in an e-mail.

Since it's not, I'll research triggers too.
I'm so glad I'm not the only one that went there, but good job on the more mature answers above. This forum consistently impresses me with its members willingness to help others. Take a bow fellas.

Co-founder of the Zombie Response Unit, Texas Div.
-XD .45 5" Tactical w/ Thumb Safety
"Better to have one and not need it, than to need it and not have one." -Wise Man
ZRU_Project is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD-45ACP Discussion Room

installation, recoil springs, trigger