• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

.45 ACP Velocity loss in 4" barrel???

This is a discussion on .45 ACP Velocity loss in 4" barrel??? within the XD-45ACP Discussion Room forums, part of the XD Talk category; I have the XD 45 Compact. Is there a big drop off in velocity with the 4" barrel compared to the standard 5" barrel? I ...

Old 02-05-2011, 01:47 PM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 35794
.45 ACP Velocity loss in 4" barrel???

I have the XD 45 Compact. Is there a big drop off in velocity with the 4" barrel compared to the standard 5" barrel? I know the .45 ACP is already a slow round and have heard of sub 800 FPS rounds in the 4" barrels. I don't want to use +p due to the added recoil. I use 230 grain Speer Gold Dots in my gun, anyone know what these chrono out of in the 4" XD's? Thanks.
TexDeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-05-2011, 02:04 PM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 50861
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexDeuce View Post
I have the XD 45 Compact. Is there a big drop off in velocity with the 4" barrel compared to the standard 5" barrel? I know the .45 ACP is already a slow round and have heard of sub 800 FPS rounds in the 4" barrels. I don't want to use +p due to the added recoil. I use 230 grain Speer Gold Dots in my gun, anyone know what these chrono out of in the 4" XD's? Thanks.
Lots of info on "Ballistics by the Inch" that's fun to read but the below answers your question on barrel length.

Can you imagine the drop off in a 4" V10 port?

BBTI - 45 Auto
mistercoffee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:23 AM   #3
XDTalk 15K Member

Member #: 38192
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercoffee2 View Post
Lots of info on "Ballistics by the Inch" that's fun to read but the below answers your question on barrel length.

BBTI - 45 Auto
Interesting read. Thanks for the link.

(Thanks, Huey Lewis)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
tom_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:17 PM   #4
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 1382
Here is a study using a 3" barrel, Colt Defender. I would suspect velocities would be 50-75fps higher, using a 4" barrel.

Looks like a standard pressure Winchester Ranger would be around 850-875fps in a 4" barrel.

Some Short Barrel .45 ACP Velocities... - THR

Ronald Reagan, June 6th, 1984, Normandy France

XD9Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:31 PM   #5
XDTalk 15K Member

Member #: 3721
You loose about 50 fps per inch. Quality HPs are made to expand and penetrate reliably between a certain velocity window in order to take into account 1" or 2" barrel difference.
Quote:
Battlestar Galactica Book Of Pythia
"All of this has happened before, and all of it will happen again."
Quote:
People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome. River Tam Serenity
agalindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:48 PM   #6
XDTalk 100 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercoffee2

BBTI - 45 Auto
Thanks for the info. I still can't get the 4" barrel and slower velocity out of my head. Will you get enough penetration with the 4" barrel?
Anyone have a chrono out of the XD?
Old 02-07-2011, 11:25 PM   #7
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 28164
You will be fine. Think of all those folks/agencies/off duty LEOs out there carrying 3" and 4" Glocks, 1911s, XDs, etc. Lots of FBI and other agency statistics out there showing gel penetration of 16-19" out of a 4" barrel depending on the brand of ammo.

Nothing to worry about.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:19 PM   #8
XDTalk Member

Member #: 44875
Quote:
Thanks for the info. I still can't get the 4" barrel and slower velocity out of my head. Will you get enough penetration with the 4" barrel?
Anyone have a chrono out of the XD?
I guess it's a personal thing with what makes you comfortable. I own a Glock 36, USPc45, and a Kimber Ultra CDP II and I have owned a Glock 30 and Sig P245. With the CDP II I use 185 grain Gold Dots or Critical Defense. With the others I never worried about using ang particular load. If you use 185 grain Gold Dots in the XD45 compact there should be no significant velocity loss.
g26s239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:59 PM   #9
XDTalk 100 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Rod
You will be fine. Think of all those folks/agencies/off duty LEOs out there carrying 3" and 4" Glocks, 1911s, XDs, etc. Lots of FBI and other agency statistics out there showing gel penetration of 16-19" out of a 4" barrel depending on the brand of ammo.

Nothing to worry about.
Where are these reports? I heard the 4" XD shoots 230 grainers under 800 FPS. That is pretty slow, does anyone know how these bullets perform?
Old 02-11-2011, 12:23 AM   #10
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 28164
Quote:
Where are these reports? I heard the 4" XD shoots 230 grainers under 800 FPS. That is pretty slow, does anyone know how these bullets perform?
There are FBI and other penetration and balistics tests all over the net. Just google it and you will get pages that all say different things. Here are a couple.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/handgun_power_chart.htm
45 ACP Stopping Power
http://demigodllc.com/~zak/firearms/fbi-pistol.php

Remember, the .45 was designed to be a large slow round so the majority of FMJ rounds are moving between 800 and 900 fps which is more than enough for SD ranges. As mentioned earlier, there are plenty of options for 185 and 165 gr .45 SD rounds that will get you more muzzle velocity but that doesn't necessarily translate into more penetration, or more importantly, more energy or more effectiveness.

If you are really looking for a high velocity round then .45 may not be the round for you. You can always look at +P but then you have to balance that will the additional recoil and it's affect on your accuracy and follow up shots. Other calibers (9mm, .35, 10mm, .40, etc) will have more velocity but, as mentioned before, that is only a part of the overall effectiveness of any particular round.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD-45ACP Discussion Room

Search tags for this page
.45 ballistics from glock 36
4 1/4 45 acp barrel ballistics
4 45 acp velocity
4 xd 45 acp velocity

45 acp ballistics barrel length

45 acp barrel lenght
45 acp barrel length vs velocity

45 acp velocity vs barrel length

45 out of a 4 inch barrel
does a 5 barrel 45acp have less kick than a 4.25 barrel 45 acp

glock 30 ballistics

glock 30 chronograph
how much velocity is lost per inch on a pistol
velocity loss from 7.25 barrel to 4
velocity of .45 from 4 barrel
xd 45 with 4 in barrel
Click on a term to search for related topics.