• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Failure to load. Ammo jams nose-down in magazine.

This is a discussion on Failure to load. Ammo jams nose-down in magazine. within the XD-45ACP Discussion Room forums, part of the XD Talk category; I'm wondering what the problem with my XD 45 ACP Service could be. The brass is ejecting fine, but I'm getting occasional "nose down" jams ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD-45ACP Discussion Room » Failure to load. Ammo jams nose-down in magazine.

Old 04-23-2006, 05:41 PM   #1
XDTalk Member

Member #: 8613
Failure to load. Ammo jams nose-down in magazine.

I'm wondering what the problem with my XD 45 ACP Service could be. The brass is ejecting fine, but I'm getting occasional "nose down" jams of bullets in the mag, which keeps the slide almost all the way open. It's a real easy thing to clear it. I just pull back slightly on the slide and release it and the bullet loads, and firing continues as normal.

I wonder if the magazine springs are losing the ability to keep the bullets pushed up properly because it usually happens toward the last few bullets (I keep the mags full all the time). I don't know, maybe the recoil spring has a problem and the slide is not coming back forcefully enough.

I've had three brands of ammo jam in this way. It's happened the first time with Golden Sabre, then with Fiocci, then with WWB. The gun worked fine for quite a while, and has only had this problem in the last 100 rounds (700+ through total).
jimmylozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-23-2006, 06:12 PM   #2
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 8427
I had the same problem with my XD45ACP after hand surgery. I had a friend shoot 2 full mags and he had no problems. After building up my grip strength, the problem went away. YMMV
fynky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 06:58 PM   #3
XDTalk Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fynky
I had the same problem with my XD45ACP after hand surgery. I had a friend shoot 2 full mags and he had no problems. After building up my grip strength, the problem went away. YMMV
I guess that would be like limp-wristing, only it slips at the grip instead. The last time it happened, I had shot some some 300 gr 454s through my Ruger Alaskan, so maybe my grip on the XD suffered as a result. Maybe I'll try some of the products people put on their grips (grip tape, etc.).
Old 04-23-2006, 07:02 PM   #4
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 8960
Check your follower, is the upper edge of it at the bend on the mag feed lips? If not it is putting your bullets too low for feeding. Someone else sent his mags back for this reason.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:11 AM   #5
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 9337
i've also had this similiar problem....

i've only shot two brands of ammo....winchester and cci blazer.

only the winchesters jammed in this fashion. with what you guys said it could be the mag. maybe the blazers don't have a problem because they aren't as heavy?
johnnyphaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 12:10 PM   #6
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 3040
Less than a FIRM grip can also cause this problem......have you let anyone else shoot the pistol to see if it happens to them?

IMHO I'd try that before I'd start sending stuff back to Springfield.

Skygun9
Les Baer Thunder Ranch (match gun)
Springfield XD-45acp Service (new fun gun)
skygun9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 06:37 PM   #7
XDTalk Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skygun9
Less than a FIRM grip can also cause this problem......have you let anyone else shoot the pistol to see if it happens to them?

IMHO I'd try that before I'd start sending stuff back to Springfield.

Skygun9
I'm going to try the grip additions to see if they help. But, how is it that a limp grip can have you end up with the bullet pointed nose-down about 20 degrees in the magazine and the slide jammed on it's butt? I'm not doubting it could be a grip problem, I just want to understand physically how the lazy grip can cause such an angle of the bullet in the magazine. Since the slide is jamming on it's way back over the bullet (just about an eighth of an inch forward of fully back), how does a firm grip prevent the bullet from going downward and jamming on the front of the magazine instead of angling up onto the feed ramp?
Old 04-24-2006, 09:35 PM   #8
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 8206
Unlikely it is limp wristing. I had a follower with a rough edge causing it to stick on one of my mags.

Clean and inspect your mags. Make sure that the follower slides to top smoothly.

Usually limp wristing will give you a FTE. I tried to limp wrist mine to get it to fail and couldn't.
HKP2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 11:38 PM   #9
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 9974
Having same problem...

My 4" was having the same exact problem with Hydrashoks. I sent it to SA, and they recut and polished the ramp. I got it back, and it still had FTF with Hydrashoks. I tried Golden Sabers, and STILL had FTF.

At this point, if the problem was properly diagnosed and corrected, I would never be able to trust this gun as a reliable carry weapon. I will probably buy a Glock in the same caliber. I don't understand the big deal about the XD in .45 ACP. After all, the Glock 21 holds 13+1 rounds of .45 ACP.

Furthermore, if it is limpwristing, would you want a weapon that you have to consciously make an effort to attain the correct grip before you fire in a self defense situation?

I am interested in selling the XD if someone wants a good deal. It fires ball ammo just fine.
steelguitarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 01:18 AM   #10
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 8698
I too have had a nose down feed failure, and as you stated it was easy to correct, by pulling back on the slide. I noted a comment about ammo types, Winchester being the round type mentioned as a cuplrit, this is the type I have always used in ball ammo. I have used this ammo in both my Kimber and Colt 1911's without any proublems. I am currently using LSA lube, the type used in the M-16, very lightly inside the mag's as a experiment and I will be frank I don't like this solution due to dirt sticking to the inside so I am open to any suggestions.
markl1057 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD-45ACP Discussion Room

Search tags for this page
.45 acp cartridges nose diving in 7 or 8 round magazines

.45 acp nose diving

.45acp bullet dive when leaving magazine
1911 45acp bullets nosediving in mag
1911 fixing diving rounds

1911 jam nose down

1911 nose down failure to feed

1911 nosedive fix

ammo fail to load

bullet nosed down in magazine

how to fix bullets diving in a magazine

how to fix sig sauer 2022 magazine nose dive
nosediving ammo 45 acp
what does it mean to have a round nose dive in magazine
what to do about nose diving bullet jams
xd 45 bullet nose dives into feed ramp
Click on a term to search for related topics.