• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Failure to load. Ammo jams nose-down in magazine.

This is a discussion on Failure to load. Ammo jams nose-down in magazine. within the XD-45ACP Discussion Room forums, part of the XD Talk category; That is what you need, one that always go bang when needed. Don't worry so much about the brand as long as it works as ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD-45ACP Discussion Room » Failure to load. Ammo jams nose-down in magazine.

Old 05-08-2006, 08:53 AM   #31
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 8960
That is what you need, one that always go bang when needed. Don't worry so much about the brand as long as it works as needed. I have been lucky my Beretta, CZ's, XD, and Rugers have all been reliable, not so for others. These are the ones I count on and carry the one I like the most.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:34 PM   #32
XDTalk Member

Member #: 9832
I went to the range on saturday and the results were encouraging. I blew through 60 rounds of 200gr Gold Dot +P(this is good, accurate stuff!) and 50 rounds of 185gr +P Golden Sabres. The gun never missed a beat, and yes, I was using my "bad" marked magazine frequently to try to duplicate the problem. After the hollowpoints were spent, I ran 200 rounds of Blazer aluminum cased ammo(not accurate, but zippy!). The gun was flawless. I did double taps, rapid fire, limp wristing, and slow fire. This session put my XD at around the 1100 round mark.

I was using noticeably hotter ammo this trip(The Blazer definitely felt stronger than WWB-although my pistol never failed with that either), and because all of my XD's failures were using standard pressure 230gr. hollowpoints, I'm inclined to believe that the gun is designed to handle more modern, higher velocity ammo. I'll keep posting on this thread as I find out more about what works in my gun and what doesn't.

Under the advise of a very experienced buddy, I'm sending the marked magazine back to SA for immediate replacement. Here's hoping that this is the end of my XD's problems. Saturday's session was laugh-out-loud fun, and the more I shoot this gun, the more I love it.
-D
Old 05-08-2006, 04:10 PM   #33
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 8960
Careful the more you feed it the more it eats.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:23 PM   #34
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 10223
While doing pre-purchase research, I found that a lot of people are having the same issue with the Taurus 24/7 Pro in 45ACP...
Old 05-26-2006, 01:40 PM   #35
XDTalk Member

Member #: 8613
OK, I was reading the Kimber section of the 1911forum and came across this post. It sounds like the exact problem some of us have had with the XD-45ACP. Below is the link to the post, but since you'll have to scroll down to find it, I'm including the entire post quote below. If you read the post, the person has some good ideas about what might cause the nose-down jam problem and how to fix it. According to this poster, the gun cycles too fast and the mag can't keep up with the demand for ammo. Looks like a stronger mag spring or a stiffer aftermarket recoil spring might fix the problem - Basically, either speed up the feed from the mag, or slow down the cycling of the gun.

Quote:
FTF Nose dive jams on 4" Kimber
I had terrible problems with nose dive feed jams. This was with HP as well as WWB FMJ ammo. After $2,000 in shipping, custom work and test ammo (mostly Hydrashok test ammo) and a year of screwing with it, here's the cause and cheap fix.

Problem:

The gun was cycling too fast for the magazine (Wilson, Kimber, CMC Powermag, Mec-Gar...) to lift the cartridges into proper position before being caught by the returning slide and pushed nose down into the frame just below the feed ramp.

Solution 1:

Switch to Tripp Cobramags. The incredibly powerful spring in those magazines and the higher height of the top round solved the feeding problem. They do, however, stick out quite a bit from the grip. They hang down the same as a Wilson 47D, but flair out wider. My solution for when I wanted more concealability was Tripp's upgrade kit placed in Wilson magazine tubes with the slim basepad. This gave me the improved spring and follower and a completely reliable 7 round, nearly flush fit magazine.

Solution 2:

The new XP spring from Wolff designed specifically for the 4" Kimbers slowed down the cycle time enough that now it runs with all the magazines, even a Wilson 47D loaded 8+1 with Gold Dot (widest HP mouth I had) hollow points. I have no doubt it would also run with Corbons, but I didn't have any for tesing and since I prefer the GD, I didn't want to buy them just for the accademic exercise.

Conclussion:

It's now a COMPLETELY RELIABLE $3,000 Kimber Eclipse Pro Target II. If you have the same problem and can learn from my experience, you can solve the same problem for $100 worth of magazines or $8 for a spring.

Happy shooting.
http://www.1911forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117851
jimmylozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 05:03 PM   #36
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 8980
Solved Nose Diving

Like most with the XD45, I have experienced FtF because of nosediving at the feed ramp.
Never encountered the problem while shooting WWB FMJ 230 gr. The WWB JHP 230 gr. would take a dive faster than a bad boxer in debt to his bookie.
I think I got lucky. Before going through the high-dollar purely serious defense rounds, I tried some Remington JHP 230 gr. -- 200 rounds of this through the the XP today and no FTFs.
For now, I'll carry these

All bleeding stops, eventually.
Detachment Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 11:27 PM   #37
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 1869
Before anything else, I'd try opening the feed lips on the magazine a little bit so the cartridge sits higher.
The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the National Guard.
United States Code, Title 10, section 311, paragraph (a)
The Tengu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 12:16 AM   #38
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 8027
I had similar problems with my Ruger P97.
Replaced the recoil spring with a Wolff extra power.
Also installed a Wilson 8 round kit (follower + Wolff extra power spring)
in the mags.
Now it's a keeper, shoots everything!

nunnya
nunnya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 01:20 PM   #39
XDTalk Member

Member #: 9832
That's funny. When mine was FTF'ing it had nothing to do with my grip...it's the magazines. If you have an FTF, send in the faulty mag and SA will replace it. It really is that easy. This gun has a stiff recoil spring and it needs a stiff, good magazine spring to work properly. Mine eats everything now, and I've even tried to limp wrist it...no jams...(knock on wood)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD-45ACP Discussion Room

Search tags for this page
.45 acp cartridges nose diving in 7 or 8 round magazines

.45 acp nose diving

.45acp bullet dive when leaving magazine
1911 45acp bullets nosediving in mag
1911 fixing diving rounds

1911 jam nose down

1911 nose down failure to feed

1911 nosedive fix

ammo fail to load

bullet nosed down in magazine

how to fix bullets diving in a magazine

how to fix sig sauer 2022 magazine nose dive
nosediving ammo 45 acp
what does it mean to have a round nose dive in magazine
what to do about nose diving bullet jams
xd 45 bullet nose dives into feed ramp
Click on a term to search for related topics.