• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

To Clean... Or Not To Clean?

This is a discussion on To Clean... Or Not To Clean? within the XD-45ACP Discussion Room forums, part of the XD Talk category; Ok, so here's my dilemma... I'm extremely thorough and and religious about cleaning my gun after spending time at the range. I've always noticed that ...

Old 03-27-2010, 12:58 PM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 28771
Thumbs down To Clean... Or Not To Clean?

Ok, so here's my dilemma... I'm extremely thorough and and religious about cleaning my gun after spending time at the range.

I've always noticed that the first 5 or so shots are horribly misplaced and it's not just my grip, stance and sight picture, they're very misplaced. After some lead builds up in the barrel, everything is great, spot-on, etc... even with different bullet brands, types and weights.

This gun is also my carry gun, it's on me everywhere but the shower, and even then, it's sitting on top of the toilet. If the time were to ever come where I need to use it, any little bit of accuracy would help.

So I'm thinking I'll take a lesson from my rifle shooting, and leave the barrel dirty. As long as I'm using non-corrosive ammunition, I'm fine, right?

Anyone else notice this about the XD-45 (Service/4in.)
Subprimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-27-2010, 01:39 PM   #2
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 21370
Try firing a few rounds from a bench rest or have someone else try the first five. I really suspect is the shooting not the gun.
NRA Life Member
digitalexplr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 03:24 PM   #3
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 7918
lol
ok, what do you THINK is happening after just 5 shots that makes a 4" barrel noticeably more accurate at defensive distances?
It's you getting used to the trigger pull.
Easy way to check, clean the gun as usual then shoot 10 or twenty shots and put it away for a week ( I sincerely assure you the XD will be fine in that condition for oh, say years ) take it to the range and take your shots.
Uzi, Sterling MK6, GSG-5.
Bersa Thunder 45, CZ75-SP01 Tactical, CZ75 Compact 40, DW CBOB 10mm,USP Custom Combat40, SA-1911,
XD-9 Service, XD-9SC Black, XD-9SC Bi-Tone, XD-40 Service Bi-tone, XD-45C Dark Earth, XD-45C Tactical Black,
Sig P228x2, Sig P220, Sig Mosquito, Steyr M9, Walther P-22, Beretta 92FS Inox
Kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 03:38 PM   #4
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 43664
Clean it ! A clean gun is a happy gun.

I also lost all my guns in a terrible Boating accident. There seems to be alot of accidents these days.
southern thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 03:42 PM   #5
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 28771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaboom View Post
lol
ok, what do you THINK is happening after just 5 shots that makes a 4" barrel noticeably more accurate at defensive distances?
It's you getting used to the trigger pull.
Easy way to check, clean the gun as usual then shoot 10 or twenty shots and put it away for a week ( I sincerely assure you the XD will be fine in that condition for oh, say years ) take it to the range and take your shots.
Ok, without sounding rude or patronizing...

Having spent several years as a US Army Sniper, we would not take a clean barrel on a mission. There are several factors at play... you ever heard of leaded gasoline? It's because lead makes a very good lubricant between two metal parts. Also, it fills in the pits and lands in the rifling, creating a smooth, rifled bore. I'm assuming that plays well in the pistol category as well, but I just wanted to ask if anyone else had experienced this, since I never seemed to notice before with my 92F or HK USP 45.

I guess this forum is like the others, a bunch of internet experts with no qualifications. Sorry for wasting the bandwidth on this attempt at a discussion.
Subprimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 05:07 PM   #6
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 39443
1. Define horribly misplaced (how far off target and at what range).

2. I would hazard a guess that most of us internet experts are shooting FMJ and are getting copper buildup in the rifling and can't speak to the lead fill you speak of. And the HK is using a Polygonal barrel, no rifling to fill.

3. We are OK with wasting bandwidth.

4. Kaboom made an honest attempt of an answer. He felt that it probably suggested a trigger pull issue but then made what I feel is an honest scientific approach to the equation, get the gun dirty, come back another day and see if a dirty gun shot from a cold start improved the problem. If so, it proved your theory.

5. Yup, this forum is like the others. And you are free to use them and leave us XD idiots to blindly find our way on this forum.
Old4Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 05:21 PM   #7
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 20873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old4Eyes View Post
1. Define horribly misplaced (how far off target and at what range).

2. I would hazard a guess that most of us internet experts are shooting FMJ and are getting copper buildup in the rifling and can't speak to the lead fill you speak of. And the HK is using a Polygonal barrel, no rifling to fill.

3. We are OK with wasting bandwidth.

4. Kaboom made an honest attempt of an answer. He felt that it probably suggested a trigger pull issue but then made what I feel is an honest scientific approach to the equation, get the gun dirty, come back another day and see if a dirty gun shot from a cold start improved the problem. If so, it proved your theory.

5. Yup, this forum is like the others. And you are free to use them and leave us XD idiots to blindly find our way on this forum.
Well said. I too know of "snipers" who saw a few too many movies.
masmergadol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 05:44 PM   #8
Old Timer

Member #: 42039
I don't see that much of an issue, for a defensive weapon.
But as never shot pistol IDPA or USPSA etc. ???
When I was shooting black powder comp. definitely.
S.B. silhouette - some rifles shot better w/ a little fouling.
Big bore rifle- maybe.
But just shooting a lot of steel plate w/ pistol, sorry I have not seen any difference.
I would though be interested in your findings.
I think KABOOM might have been on to something.
Old 03-27-2010, 07:36 PM   #9
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 7918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subprimal View Post
Ok, without sounding rude or patronizing...

Having spent several years as a US Army Sniper, we would not take a clean barrel on a mission. There are several factors at play... you ever heard of leaded gasoline? It's because lead makes a very good lubricant between two metal parts. Also, it fills in the pits and lands in the rifling, creating a smooth, rifled bore. I'm assuming that plays well in the pistol category as well, but I just wanted to ask if anyone else had experienced this, since I never seemed to notice before with my 92F or HK USP 45.

I guess this forum is like the others, a bunch of internet experts with no qualifications. Sorry for wasting the bandwidth on this attempt at a discussion.
I dont actually care whether you are rude or patronizing, when it comes to guns and other technical things, I care about the facts.

The changes that occur in "fouling" of the barrel ( yes I have heard of leaded gas ) in a barrel will affect velocity which makes a HUGE difference at long ranges whether it be pistol or rifle, but at distances of say 25yds or so ( at most ) I'd doubt that even a 25% velocity change makes enough of a diff to miss a vital area in a human. If I had my ballistics proggys installed I could check, I'm sure someone else can do the drop change calcs.

The internet seems to be mostly populated by:
#1 ( by far ) Fighter pilots.
#2 Dodge Viper drivers/owners.
#3 Snipers.
#4 Normal folks ( wtf THAT is lol )
Uzi, Sterling MK6, GSG-5.
Bersa Thunder 45, CZ75-SP01 Tactical, CZ75 Compact 40, DW CBOB 10mm,USP Custom Combat40, SA-1911,
XD-9 Service, XD-9SC Black, XD-9SC Bi-Tone, XD-40 Service Bi-tone, XD-45C Dark Earth, XD-45C Tactical Black,
Sig P228x2, Sig P220, Sig Mosquito, Steyr M9, Walther P-22, Beretta 92FS Inox
Kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 07:42 PM   #10
XDTalk 20K Member

Member #: 26776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaboom View Post
The internet seems to be mostly populated by:
#1 ( by far ) Fighter pilots.
#2 Dodge Viper drivers/owners.
#3 Snipers.
#4 Normal folks ( wtf THAT is lol )
Honestly made me laugh out loud. Kaboom FTW!!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD-45ACP Discussion Room

accuracy, clean, dirty

Search tags for this page

cbob not grouping

Click on a term to search for related topics.