• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

how long will a mag last?

This is a discussion on how long will a mag last? within the XD-45ACP Discussion Room forums, part of the XD Talk category; I've got an XD45 and an XD45C. For the past couple of months, I've had them loaded to the gills, in the safe, for easy ...

Old 10-27-2009, 05:05 PM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 39218

I've got an XD45 and an XD45C. For the past couple of months, I've had them loaded to the gills, in the safe, for easy access should trouble come knocking. (I'd have 'em in the nightstand, 'cept that I've got kids in the house and can't take the risk.)

Anyway, it occurred to me that keeping the mags fully loaded was probably going to do them in early... So, I totally unloaded them, and figured I'd go for the HD shotgun if ever there were a need. However, having my XDs unloaded seems like a waste.

So, looking for opinions on how long I can expect an XD mag to last when loaded to capacity, and left that way for long periods of time. One option is to load one of them, and leave the other unloaded... and then switch 'em periodically, like weekly.

Curious what others do/think.

(Was tempted to get a revolver, though they don't do much for me, just to avoid the issue.)

Thanks.
flivver is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-27-2009, 05:07 PM   #2
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 25129
Barring the feed lips bending they'll last just about forever. Springs won't go bad anytime soon.

However the weak link in the XD is the crappy magazine. The feed lips are easily bent. I haven't heard of anyone having problems with them drifting open just leaving them loaded, though. Then again, it's not THAT old of a gun, either.

Just make sure you have carry mags, and training/range mags. Don't use mags that you beat up often for carrying...you're asking for trouble.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
Joeywhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 06:17 PM   #3
XDTalk Newbie

thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeywhat View Post
Barring the feed lips bending they'll last just about forever. Springs won't go bad anytime soon.
Interesting... I thought it was the spring that would go bad, from being compressed all the time.

Quote:
However the weak link in the XD is the crappy magazine. The feed lips are easily bent. I haven't heard of anyone having problems with them drifting open just leaving them loaded, though. Then again, it's not THAT old of a gun, either.
So if being loaded doesn't bend them, then what does? Is it the act of feeding/ejecting rounds that does it?

Quote:
Just make sure you have carry mags, and training/range mags. Don't use mags that you beat up often for carrying...you're asking for trouble.
So maybe having two that alternate, for bed-stand duty, would be one kind... And then a third kind for carry? Seems like the carry mag would get almost as much use, from being carried on a daily basis.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:04 PM   #4
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 24976
Quote:
Originally Posted by flivver View Post
Interesting

So if being loaded doesn't bend them, then what does? Is it the act of feeding/ejecting rounds that does it?

I don't find the mags to be 'crappy' and don't know what particular feature that opinion is based on.

Springs will take a set if you leave them loaded for a while. Springs wear based on compresssion cycles.

I have one set of mags that I use in my XD45 for competition. They get dropped, thrown, flipped in the mud, and sometimes cleaned. I have not had a mag fail me since I started shooting XDs in competition about 2 yrs ago. I really don't find the mags to be troublesome. I did have to bend the feedlips back in after trying to shoot LSWCs out of though.

I will prob change the springs before next Spring's competition cycle....Around 20K in the gun,,,,, 5K per mag.

I only fuss over my 1911 mags. Those antique bastages are/can be picky about mags and mag spring pressure.

I own everything that Rebecca Peters hates.
GunnBugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:21 PM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 30135
Quote:
13 pulls on the trigger.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:16 AM   #6
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 8346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport45 View Post
13 pulls on the trigger.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

For some of these guys you need to get technical...

Depending on the model you carry, how many rounds you have in the magazine, and how good of a shot you are...

Anywhere from about 4 to 14 seconds.

Minimum guess :10 round magazine 2.5 rounds per second on one target.
Maximum guess: 13+1 round magazine at 1 round per second on one target.

This is based on 2 seconds of pure thought on the subject. In no way is it debatable or flawed. This criteria is inline with 90% statistics. No small animals or children were harmed during the generation of this scientific data.

Please direct your questioning to the nearest wall to the South of where you are.

FrEaK_aCcIdEnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:25 AM   #7
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 39312
I read a while back that common practice is the load mags like you have (self-defense at-the-ready setup) at max capacity minus one round.

This serves several purposes to minimize wear and tear over the years, but most of all it helps me to perform tactical loads/reloads on a closed-side/loaded-chamber situation. A full-to-capacity maxed out mag I often find is almost impossible to tac load quickly regardless of make or model. Minus one round helps a LOT.

And if you're worried about not having that 13th round after you've popped off the first 12 in a situation, you have more things to worry about, like why you're not running towards your long gun.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:44 AM   #8
XDTalk Newbie

max - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tARfoo View Post
I read a while back that common practice is the load mags like you have (self-defense at-the-ready setup) at max capacity minus one round.

This serves several purposes to minimize wear and tear over the years, but most of all it helps me to perform tactical loads/reloads on a closed-side/loaded-chamber situation. A full-to-capacity maxed out mag I often find is almost impossible to tac load quickly regardless of make or model. Minus one round helps a LOT.

And if you're worried about not having that 13th round after you've popped off the first 12 in a situation, you have more things to worry about, like why you're not running towards your long gun.
Makes sense... And to that end, that brings up something else I've been meaning to ask. On my XDC, it's hard to get the mag to seat properly when it's loaded to capacity (the 10-round mag, anyway). It gets all but about 0.25" in, and then seems to encounter resistance. Is that normal? I generally have to give it a sharp whack with the palm of my hand, to get it to lock into place -- whereas with fewer rounds in the mag, it slides right in. Again, is this normal?
Old 10-28-2009, 09:00 AM   #9
XDTalk 15K Member

Member #: 3721
I have never had any problems with my mags feed lips and the mags themselves are no less prone to bending than Glock, or S&W mags

I have some S&W m59 mags that have stayed loaded for over 20 years. I'll take them to the range shoot them load them back up and store them. I do that with the mags for my XDs too.
Quote:
Battlestar Galactica Book Of Pythia
"All of this has happened before, and all of it will happen again."
Quote:
People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome. River Tam Serenity
agalindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 06:55 PM   #10
XDTalk Member

Member #: 37914
I have six mags for my XD. What I do is use 4 for practice and keep two loaded with JHP in the bedroom. Every two months I rotate the HD mags out with two practice mags to keep from having the same springs compressed all the time. I also do what tARfoo mentioned and load the HD mags one shy of capacity.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD-45ACP Discussion Room

durability, loaded, mag

Search tags for this page
how long do xd magazine last
how long mag last
how long will a mossberg 500 spring last

how long will my xd magazine last

how long will xd mag last?

how long will xd springs last
how long xd magazine lasts
who long will a mag last
xd forum how long spring last
xd mags suck?
Click on a term to search for related topics.