• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

how long will a mag last?

This is a discussion on how long will a mag last? within the XD-45ACP Discussion Room forums, part of the XD Talk category; On another forum I have read that it loaded mags actually last for 20 years or more, but the spring will wear out faster but ...

Old 10-28-2009, 07:56 PM   #11
XDTalk Member

Member #: 27826
On another forum I have read that it loaded mags actually last for 20 years or more, but the spring will wear out faster but loading & unloading.

I know from first hand experiance from my fist XD I bought a while back that the springs in XD mags suck. I had to replace two for my first XD I bought then sold a while back (which I bought because I didn't know they where covered in the warantee) I loved the gun, but wasn't going to buy new mags all the time.
rottman43055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-28-2009, 09:57 PM   #12
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 24976
Quote:
Originally Posted by tARfoo View Post
I read a while back that common practice is the load mags like you have (self-defense at-the-ready setup) at max capacity minus one round.

This serves several purposes to minimize wear and tear over the years, but most of all it helps me to perform tactical loads/reloads on a closed-side/loaded-chamber situation. A full-to-capacity maxed out mag I often find is almost impossible to tac load quickly regardless of make or model. Minus one round helps a LOT.

And if you're worried about not having that 13th round after you've popped off the first 12 in a situation, you have more things to worry about, like why you're not running towards your long gun.
the minus one rule goes a long way back.....to the 1911. Traditionally, a round is chambered and the mag left one round short to ensure the mag wasn't too tight to load. The XD generally does not have this problem.

The mags will last to the half-life of stainless...which should equal the half life of chromium.

I own everything that Rebecca Peters hates.

Last edited by GunnBugg; 10-28-2009 at 10:01 PM.
GunnBugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 05:32 AM   #13
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 39218
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnBugg View Post
The mags will last to the half-life of stainless...which should equal the half life of chromium.
I wasn't so much concerned about the metal, as I was the spring.
flivver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 01:21 AM   #14
XDTalk Member

Member #: 40148
Hey just to shed some light I have a xd tactical .45 that is somewhere between 6-8,000 rds and a S"&W M&P that has over 25,000 rds and both guns are using the original magazines with no spring replacement so far, I think the situation you use the mags for will dictate how often to change them. When one starts acting up REPLACE the springs and possibly get new followers as well, why waste money needlessly, save it for ammo.
sqeeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 04:51 AM   #15
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 39733
I've never had any springs on any guns wear out. But I have had the feed lips of my XD 45 mags deformed from being loaded too long and not in the gun. Springfield did replace them for free. In the future I will keep the mags loaded to less than full capacity if I do not intend to rotate them regularly. I learned my lesson.
Eichenlaub is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD-45ACP Discussion Room

durability, loaded, mag

Search tags for this page
how long do xd magazine last
how long mag last
how long will a mossberg 500 spring last

how long will my xd magazine last

how long will xd mag last?

how long will xd springs last
how long xd magazine lasts
who long will a mag last
xd forum how long spring last
xd mags suck?
Click on a term to search for related topics.