• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Changing stock sights from springfield xd

This is a discussion on Changing stock sights from springfield xd within the XD-45ACP Discussion Room forums, part of the XD Talk category; Hello all, I was wondering has anyone had success changing their sites on their springfields themselves? I went to 3 local gunsmiths and none of ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD-45ACP Discussion Room » Changing stock sights from springfield xd

Old 09-30-2009, 08:02 PM   #1
XDTalk Member

Member #: 39186
Changing stock sights from springfield xd

Hello all, I was wondering has anyone had success changing their sites on their springfields themselves? I went to 3 local gunsmiths and none of them can do it. Does anyone have any tips or tricks? I am trying to install some trijicon night sights on. Is my only option to send it in to springfield and let them do it?
khmerwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-30-2009, 08:12 PM   #2
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 10854
I did mine... just had 2 brass punches and a vice and a towel... no big deal... Installed some dawson precisions

L. J. Joshlin

USPSA Range Officer (R.O.)
USPSA #A58364

Buckmark UDX Plus
Springfield XD-9 20,000 rounds failure free
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

Ithica 12Ga. Ultralight - Gold Trigger Edition

Piney Woods Action Shooters

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
sloopy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 12:09 AM   #3
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 38591
the gunshop i go to changed the sites out. although, they did call me to ask if it would be ok to cut the old sites out as they are pressed in. i said yes, and, now i love my heinie straight eights
madwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:06 AM   #4
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 7918
Quote:
Originally Posted by khmerwarrior View Post
Hello all, I was wondering has anyone had success changing their sites on their springfields themselves? I went to 3 local gunsmiths and none of them can do it. Does anyone have any tips or tricks? I am trying to install some trijicon night sights on. Is my only option to send it in to springfield and let them do it?
You're lucky, seems most people only find out thier smiths can't change XD sights AFTER the smith mucks them up.
I have changed mine but it takes a $100 tool from Midwest Gun Works ( I have a small arsenal of XDs so for ME it was worth it ) to do it properly.
If I just had one or two XDs I would send it to SA or one of our fine XDTalk sponsors.
Uzi, Sterling MK6, GSG-5.
Bersa Thunder 45, CZ75-SP01 Tactical, CZ75 Compact 40, DW CBOB 10mm,USP Custom Combat40, SA-1911,
XD-9 Service, XD-9SC Black, XD-9SC Bi-Tone, XD-40 Service Bi-tone, XD-45C Dark Earth, XD-45C Tactical Black,
Sig P228x2, Sig P220, Sig Mosquito, Steyr M9, Walther P-22, Beretta 92FS Inox
Kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:19 AM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 35634
I did my own. Get a hammer and a brass punch and remove the stock set. If they don't come out use a dremel and slowlt cut them out, that's how I had to remove mine. Just some advice if your dremel is cordless charge it before or you will nick the slide. Now take a 6-8" mill file and some fine grit sandpaper slowly take off material from the Trijicons until they fit in about 1/3 of the way, don't go any further than 1/3 of the way cause they will be too loose then. But once it fits 1/3 in take the brass punch at the base of the sights at TAP them in. I sat tap cause only hit them as hard as you need to so they go in. On the front sight do not hit where the tritium is hit the base so it does not break cause it will. There are marks on the slide to where they should be so just get them between those marks and apply some red loc-tite all around the edges of the sights and let it sit for about 10-15 minutes and then wipe off the excess. Let the loc-tite cure for 24 hours before firing the gun and go to the range to see if they are on target.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:40 AM   #6
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 1382
I would never trust any of my local gunsmiths to install XD sights, they just don't have the experience with removing/installing XD sights (it can be a royal pain, resulting in slide damage in some cases). For those who do it yourselves, I tip my cap to you!

I can highly recommend James at xd-hs2000 for installing sights. He's installed sights on 5 of mine, does an excellent job. If you buy the sights from him, he will install the sights for FREE, just send him your slide

Ronald Reagan, June 6th, 1984, Normandy France

XD9Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 12:09 PM   #7
XMM
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 32504
Quote:
Originally Posted by XD9Sub View Post
I would never trust any of my local gunsmiths to install XD sights, they just don't have the experience with removing/installing XD sights (it can be a royal pain, resulting in slide damage in some cases). For those who do it yourselves, I tip my cap to you!

I can highly recommend James at xd-hs2000 for installing sights.

He's installed sights on 5 of mine, does an excellent job. If you buy the sights from him, he will install the sights for FREE, just send him your slide
+1 on James. He installed my TFOs and Duracoated my slide in an OD green. Very good work and the turnaround time was superb.
XMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 03:18 PM   #8
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 34268
Stock XDm sights get dirty fast

I shoot USPSA Limited and towards the end of each match my white dots are so dirty they are difficult to see on cloudy overcast days. I shoot winchester factory ammo, usually 100-120 rounds per match. The white dots get dirty fast. So, my question is, do night sights get dirty fast and does anyone shoot competition with night sights? If so, how are they?
PSOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 03:39 PM   #9
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 10854
I shoot limited too, I shoot dawson precisions with a target adjustable rear, and a Red fiber optic front... theyre 100 times better than stock...

L. J. Joshlin

USPSA Range Officer (R.O.)
USPSA #A58364

Buckmark UDX Plus
Springfield XD-9 20,000 rounds failure free

Ithica 12Ga. Ultralight - Gold Trigger Edition

Piney Woods Action Shooters

sloopy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:48 AM   #10
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 8346
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloopy70 View Post
I did mine... just had 2 brass punches and a vice and a towel... no big deal... Installed some dawson precisions

+1 except I installed TFOs
FrEaK_aCcIdEnT is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD-45ACP Discussion Room

Search tags for this page
can you switch out a xd sight
change night sights springield xd

changing sights on springfield xd

changing sights on xd
changing xd sights
how to adjust the sights on a springfield xd
how to change sights on a springfield xd

how to change sights on springfield xd

how to change sights on springfield xdm
how to change the sights on a xd .45
how to replace sights on springfield xd

springfield xd sights

Click on a term to search for related topics.