• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Proper Lubrication XD 45

This is a discussion on Proper Lubrication XD 45 within the XD-45ACP Discussion Room forums, part of the XD Talk category; Hi, Unlike the Glock owner's manual, which points out very specific places to lube and how much to use, the XD owner's manual is very ...

Old 06-08-2009, 12:28 PM   #1
SHV
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 37471
Proper Lubrication XD 45

Hi,

Unlike the Glock owner's manual, which points out very specific places to lube and how much to use, the XD owner's manual is very generic.

What's the proper placement, procedure and amount to lube an XD 45 after cleaning?

Thanks.
SHV is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-08-2009, 12:31 PM   #2
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 17000
Place lube/grease on all points where metal touches metal....that's the rule I follow.

"One is none, two is one, and three is just a good time." Clint Smith, referring to the number of guns you carry daily.
tomfoolery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:36 PM   #3
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 10854
It's really not very important... You can run these guns dry for thousands of rounds and it still won't phase them, or make them wear prematurely... I use very little on my competition gun... actually can't reember the last time I lubed it up... No malfunctions...

L. J. Joshlin

USPSA Range Officer (R.O.)
USPSA #A58364

Buckmark UDX Plus
Springfield XD-9 20,000 rounds failure free
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

Ithica 12Ga. Ultralight - Gold Trigger Edition

Piney Woods Action Shooters

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
sloopy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:49 PM   #4
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 11831
^^^
Old 06-08-2009, 12:52 PM   #5
XDTalk 2K Member

No honestly, its not as big a deal as you'd think... these guns are made to run... Most people WAY over lube theyre pistols... if you rack it after oiling and oil is spilling out of the slide thats WAY too much... I've got 20,000 rounds through my xd9, have went through LARGE round counts between cleanings and lubings... unless your shooting incredibly dirty ammo or are dropping it in the mud all the time you'll be fine...

L. J. Joshlin

USPSA #A58364

Buckmark UDX Plus

Old 06-08-2009, 01:18 PM   #6
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 11831
yeah...but why not take good care of any tool you own? i can see doing it to test the limits, but you're saying something to the effect of "i change the oil in my car every 50,000 miles, not every 5,000. screw that. the car runs fine either way."

imho.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:49 PM   #7
XDTalk 2K Member

No, not the same at all... I do take care of it, the fact is that it doesn't need as much as most people think... the tolerances in the xd are loose enough that it doesn't beat itself to death if its shot dry every now and then... I'm not saying never oil it up, I'm just saying most people are obsessive to the point to where it doesn't need it... Obviously it doesn't hurt anything to keep it bathed in oil, but at the same time it can be overkill... Think of it this way... the more oil you have in it, the more trash its going to attract and absorb, so every time you clean it you think its horribly dirty..

L. J. Joshlin

USPSA #A58364

Buckmark UDX Plus

Old 06-08-2009, 03:01 PM   #8
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 13228
Oh, are we supposed to lube these things ?? Just kidding, I use very light lubing on slide rails, and thats about it. Too much is bad.

Last edited by M1A Shooter; 06-08-2009 at 03:04 PM.
M1A Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:24 PM   #9
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 31126
As stated, use very little on the slide rails. Also, on the barrel and on the top of the chamber. ROT, where you see wear marks.

"Very little" defined: that amount of lube that you get on your finger when you run it around the squirt tip on a bottle of lube. That should be enough for the barrel. Do it again for the slide rails and you're good to go.

As Sloopy70 stated, if it's splashing out or seeping, it's too much.

I personally clean and lube my guns habitually w/in 3 days of visiting the range...if not the same day.

No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government ~ Thomas Jefferson

A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined. ~George Washington

We are a free people living under a republic of our own construction. We may consent to be governed, but we will not be ruled. ~Kevin D. Williamson

NRA
katokahn99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:26 PM   #10
XDTalk 2K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katokahn99 View Post
As stated, use very little on the slide rails. Also, on the barrel and on the top of the chamber. ROT, where you see wear marks.

"Very little" defined: that amount of lube that you get on your finger when you run it around the squirt tip on a bottle of lube. That should be enough for the barrel. Do it again for the slide rails and you're good to go.

As Sloopy70 stated, if it's splashing out or seeping, it's too much.

I personally clean and lube my guns habitually w/in 3 days of visiting the range...if not the same day.
Haha, its been atleast 3 matches or so since mine had a good field strip and clean... probably 2,000 rounds ago...

L. J. Joshlin

USPSA #A58364

Buckmark UDX Plus

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD-45ACP Discussion Room

Search tags for this page
grease points
how to lubricate the xd pistols
lubing xd
lubricate springfield xdm9
lubricate xds
oil points on my xds45
oiling points of xd handgun
springfield xd 45 lubrication

springfield xd lube points

springfield xd lubrication points
where to oil a springfield xds 45
xdm lubrication points
xds 45 lube points

xds lube points

xds lubrication
xds lubrication points
Click on a term to search for related topics.