• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Asking for Revolver Suggestions

This is a discussion on Asking for Revolver Suggestions within the Wheelguns forums, part of the Other Handgun Talk category; Ruger GP 100 and then a SW 686 or if you want something concealable then the Ruger SP101 is hard to beat. I love a ...

Old 11-14-2008, 11:23 PM   #41
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 15076
Ruger GP 100 and then a SW 686 or if you want something concealable then the Ruger SP101 is hard to beat. I love a 686 but the GP100 has always been my favorite wheel gun, it just feels better in my hands.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:27 AM   #42
Old Timer

Member #: 22547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattooed Bard View Post
Ruger GP 100 and then a SW 686 or if you want something concealable then the Ruger SP101 is hard to beat. I love a 686 but the GP100 has always been my favorite wheel gun, it just feels better in my hands.
Bingo! We have a winner!!

Try them out.... put them in your hand, hold 'em, sight down the barrel, dry fire 'em (if the owner/shop keeper doesn't mind too much), shoot 'em at the range if possible. See what fits you best and feels best.

For me, the 686 felt better in hand than the GP100. The action felt smoother as well, and the appearance/fit just seemed better... but this is just IMHO based on the specific revolvers I actually looked at. YMMV.

"The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions."
- Daniel Webster, statesman and senator (1782-1852)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
"Enlightened statesmen will not always be at the helm."
- James Madison, Federalist No. 10
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
"Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic."
- Unknown

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
NRA Life Member 153120629
jmichna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:39 AM   #43
Old Timer

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefthanded Shooter View Post
I tried a couple of searches but nothing jumped out at me so I will risk duplicating by asking for some help regarding purchasing a revolver.

I want to add a revolver to my XD-40 Service. However, I am unsure what to buy. I would appreciate some suggestions from those that would be interested in responding. Please, I do not want to stir up any controversy, but would like to know what others suggest.

I have not made any decision about caliber, so please include that along with brand, model, and other info about what to consider.

TIA for taking time to reply. Always shoot safely and straight.

LS
BttT!

LHS,
So which revolver did you decide on/end up getting?
JM

"The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
"Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic."
- Unknown

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Old 11-18-2008, 03:02 PM   #44
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 22268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tard View Post
Thanks a lot guys, now I have to drive down to DJs and buy a freakin' revolver. Maybe two. I have The Sickness.
yea man, ive been itching for a revolver lately and then i run into this thread. DOH! ive always wanted a .357 wheelie and had no idea they were capable of shooting .38 as well. great success! is this the case for all 357s? what am i looking for to make sure they can fire .38 too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmichna View Post
BB240,
I've been in the hunt for a Model 19 for some time... the idea of the somewhat smaller frame in .357mag intrigues me, as I have smaller hands. If you have shot a 686, how does the 19 feel compared to the 686 when shooting equivalent ammo? Any noticeable difference in recoil or muzzle flip? Or time to get back on target?
just found this! >> Smith & Wesson Model 19-3 .357 Combat Magnum 4"bbl : Revolvers at GunBroker.com
dreydin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 03:20 PM   #45
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 15076
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreydin View Post
I've always wanted a .357 wheelie and had no idea they were capable of shooting .38 as well. great success! is this the case for all 357s? what am i looking for to make sure they can fire .38 too?
Yes any .357 can fire .38s but not the other way around

same as a .44 Mag can also fire .44 Specials but not the other way around
Old 11-18-2008, 04:08 PM   #46
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 25818
I'm considering a .357 for my first revolver too...

But here's another thought for you that is tempting me as well: S&W 610.

It can chamber 10mm OR .40 S&W which would be nice if you already have a .40

Can read about it's accuracy here: Smith & Wesson Brings Back the 10mm Model 610 Revolver

XDm 9mm, Springer Match Trigger, X-treme Grip,
Don's Stainless Guide Rod 16# spring

And more from Beretta, Benelli, CZ, Kimber, Rock River, Ruger, and Savage.
NDB_MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 06:21 PM   #47
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 25199
Hey Lefthanded.
I don`t think you ever did post what your intended use would be.
This would make suggestions easier.
Regards, Pete
pbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 06:25 PM   #48
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 22307
If you want somthing smaller than the N-framed 610 to shoot .40S&W, start looking around for a 646, 4" L-frame, .40S&W only.
scooterj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 06:27 PM   #49
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 25199
DOH! ive always wanted a .357 wheelie and had no idea they were capable of shooting .38 as well. great success! is this the case for all 357s? what am i looking for to make sure they can fire .38 too?
Don`t feel bad. Lot`s of people don`t realize that 38 specials are actually .357 caliber.
Regards, Pete
pbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:32 PM   #50
Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreydin View Post
yea man, ive been itching for a revolver lately and then i run into this thread. DOH! ive always wanted a .357 wheelie and had no idea they were capable of shooting .38 as well. great success! is this the case for all 357s? what am i looking for to make sure they can fire .38 too? ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbass View Post
DOH! ive always wanted a .357 wheelie and had no idea they were capable of shooting .38 as well. great success! is this the case for all 357s? what am i looking for to make sure they can fire .38 too?
Don`t feel bad. Lot`s of people don`t realize that 38 specials are actually .357 caliber.
Regards, Pete
Well, I'm not sure about ALL ( ) .357 wheel guns, but S&W, Ruger and Colt .357mags all shoot .38spl ammo with no issues.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
- Unknown

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Last edited by jmichna; 11-18-2008 at 08:40 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » Wheelguns

Search tags for this page

686 vs 627

first smith and wesson revolvers
latest revolvers
recommended ammo brands for the s&w model 627
revolver recoil chart
ruger blackhawkhow to make the click louder
ruger gp100 longevity
s&w 627 carry pictures
smith and wesson model 10-4
sp101 vs sw686
Click on a term to search for related topics.