• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Asking for Revolver Suggestions

This is a discussion on Asking for Revolver Suggestions within the Wheelguns forums, part of the Other Handgun Talk category; I'd suggest, for general use, plinking with possible defensive set-up, that the .357 suggestions are right on the spot, in either 4" or 6" barrel. ...

Old 11-12-2008, 08:56 PM   #11
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 27123
I'd suggest, for general use, plinking with possible defensive set-up, that the .357 suggestions are right on the spot, in either 4" or 6" barrel. I'd also opt for stainless, partially for ease of care, partially for esthetics (I have a thing for stainless revolvers...).

My first choice would be the Ruger GP-100 (currently, my only .357), with my second choice being a S&W 686. The GP seems to fit my hand better than the 686; however, the 686 has a much nicer trigger. I also like that the GP is built like a tank. If I was to buy a 686, I would look for a pre-lock model. It's a personal choice; I just don't care for them.

Pythons are nice, but, as mentioned earlier, very, very pricy. I used to have one, and somewhat regret getting rid of it, but not so much I'm actively looking to replace it.

I also used to have a Taurus Tracker...it was a decent pistol for the price (I paid $250 for it used, iirc), but I simply cannot understand why Taurus thought it was necessary to port a 4" .357...all it did was make it louder.

These are all double-action revolvers--in single action, a Ruger Blackhawk in .357 is pretty much everything I'd look for...accurate, a good trigger, adjustable sights, and utterly bombproof. Grat for a woods gun, or plinking, but I would not make a single-action revolver my first choice for a possible defensive weapon.

Hope this helps a bit...

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding it's way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge".--Isaac Asimov
Cuda66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-12-2008, 08:57 PM   #12
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 2897
S&W makes some nice revolvers but dont overlook the Ruger GP-100. I have both brands and I will say that my Ruger shoots incredible groups and is built like a tank.
"The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
ichy_trigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:01 PM   #13
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 13198
I am a big fan of my Taurus 617. Taurus International Manufacturing Inc

7 shot of .357/38 in a compact revolver and the trigger is smother than on my S&W 642. Mine has the bobbed hammer and is ported great shooter even with mag loads.

Too bad I lost all of my guns in that boating accident last year. I sure miss them.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:04 PM   #14
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 8434
Everyone needs at least one single-action revolver. I'd go for a Ruger Blackhawk in .44mag. You can shoot .44spl in it (just like the whole .38/.357 thing) plus you get to tell your friends that you have a .44 Magnum.
Who dare while others fly...
They build a nation's pillars deep
And lift them to the sky. - Emerson

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Nietzche
danp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:09 PM   #15
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 13198
Quote:
Originally Posted by danp View Post
Everyone needs at least one single-action revolver. I'd go for a Ruger Blackhawk in .44mag. You can shoot .44spl in it (just like the whole .38/.357 thing) plus you get to tell your friends that you have a .44 Magnum.

Not to mention that great Click, Click, Click of the action, almost as good as hearing a leveraction 30-30 at work.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:55 PM   #16
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 9890
For carry, a Ruger SP101.
Very slick.

For fun, I mean FUN, get a Ruger Redhawk in .44 mag.
It also shoots .44 special.
Get the 7-1/2" barrel in SS.

Real Answer: go to a good gun store and see what fits in your hands the best.
Tard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:24 PM   #17
XDTalk 20K Member

Member #: 22547
S&W 686 4" for the many reasons stated by the other proponents. Fun to shoot, very accurate both in single action and double action, not too big (if your hand size is a concern), not too heavy, plenty of weapon but definitely manageable. If you don't mind spending a little extra, there is a 686+ model that is seven-shot.

In addition to the 686, I would also consider the Model 19, which would give you a smaller frame .357mag, and the Model 60 as mentioned by other posters above.

Try 'em all out... see what fits your hand and your eye, and what you like best.

I have:
S&W Model 10 4" nickel pinned barrel, .38spl
S&W Model 64 4" stainless, .38spl (being sold)
S&W Model 686 4" stainless, .357mag
S&W Model 29 6.5" blued, .44mag

If I came across a nice, used Model 19 at a reasonable price, I'd snap it up in an instant!

"The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions."
- Daniel Webster, statesman and senator (1782-1852)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
"Enlightened statesmen will not always be at the helm."
- James Madison, Federalist No. 10
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
"Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic."
- Unknown

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
NRA Life Member 153120629
jmichna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:35 PM   #18
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 22307
If you want to compliment your XD40, you must look at the S&W 610.

6.5" stainless 10mm N-frame. It uses moonclips to achieve propper headspacing so you can shoot 40S&W with no problem. In the event you would like to try hunting again, load it up with 10mm and you are ready to go.

BTW, my 610 has never fired a 10mm, but it has fired over 10,000 40's.
scooterj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 05:27 AM   #19
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 21146
Ruger GP-100.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:42 AM   #20
XDTalk 20K Member

Member #: 22547
Model 10

Model 64

Model 686

Model 29

"The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions."
- Daniel Webster, statesman and senator (1782-1852)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
"Enlightened statesmen will not always be at the helm."
- James Madison, Federalist No. 10
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
"Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic."
- Unknown

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
NRA Life Member 153120629
jmichna is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » Wheelguns

Search tags for this page

686 vs 627

first smith and wesson revolvers
latest revolvers
recommended ammo brands for the s&w model 627
revolver recoil chart
ruger blackhawkhow to make the click louder
ruger gp100 longevity
s&w 627 carry pictures
smith and wesson model 10-4
sp101 vs sw686
Click on a term to search for related topics.