• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Birthday present gone wrong

This is a discussion on Birthday present gone wrong within the Wheelguns forums, part of the Other Handgun Talk category; Well Happy New Year to everyone here. The Mrs and I decided to take her father to the local range as part of his birthday ...

Old 01-01-2013, 11:16 AM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 14575
Birthday present gone wrong

Well Happy New Year to everyone here. The Mrs and I decided to take her father to the local range as part of his birthday present. Going through the basics again, refreshing on safety etc etc. Everything was going great until we rented a S&W 686 .357 mag with a 4" barrel and a box of .38 special rounds to start off with. After going over the drill with her dad a few times, he was confident and loaded it up. Both my wife and I were watching. He pulled the trigger and bam, the barrel blew off and went down range. He calmly put the remains down on the bench and looked at me and said "What did I do wrong". He was luckily not injured, just a tad shook up as to what had happened.

Needless to say my wife and I were fearing that it had shocked him right out of wanting to continue but it did not. The range on the other hand really did not have much to say, not even a "we're sorry". Just did not get charged for the rental or ammo but that was it.

We continued on afterwards, I could only take a snap of the barrel that went downrange. My guess was that it had a hairline crack somewhere underneath, but I'm no expert. I'm just glad nobody got hurt and have learned a valuable lesson, don't bother renting guns at the range we frequent.

Had my wife a bit curious now cause she's had the same exact revolver ordered from smith, she's just waiting for it to arrive now. Here's the only shot I could get of it down range.

kaotik78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-01-2013, 11:19 AM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 72136
That's scary. Glad to hear he's ok.
J_n_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:22 AM   #3
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 75787
DAMN! Glad he was not injured.

NRA Life Member
KentB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:28 AM   #4
SRD
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 13092
That is scary. Im surprised the range didnt care. That could have been a very bad situation.

-------------------------------------------------
Since my list was to long last time ill only put my favorite pistols

HKP7
CZ82
Browning Hi power
FN Hi power
Sig p232
Sig p220 Elite SS
NAA 22PUG
XD45
G19
G29
Norinco Ak47
FN PS90 SBR
SRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:47 AM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 14575
Yeah it's a very nonchalant attitude at the range I go to. It's only gotten worse over the years unfortunately.

We're both glad he was not hurt, and that it did not put a damper on his time there. My guess and that's all I can do at this point is guess, is that the number of rounds put through their rentals could eventually lead to the gun getting out of time and that could have caused the barrel to blow off.

In anycase I wanted to share and hopefully others who frequent this range will keep a watchful eye out for themselves if they decide to rent to someone.
kaotik78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:18 PM   #6
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 44190
Not the first or the last time a barrel will get shot off a S&W revolver. Glad the ol' coot wasn't hurt.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:22 PM   #7
XDTalk Member

Member #: 84513
Damn man, that's insane! Good thing it didn't hit him.
RATTFINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:37 PM   #8
XDTalk Member

Member #: 84663
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaotik78 View Post
Yeah it's a very nonchalant attitude at the range I go to. It's only gotten worse over the years unfortunately.

We're both glad he was not hurt, and that it did not put a damper on his time there. My guess and that's all I can do at this point is guess, is that the number of rounds put through their rentals could eventually lead to the gun getting out of time and that could have caused the barrel to blow off.

In anycase I wanted to share and hopefully others who frequent this range will keep a watchful eye out for themselves if they decide to rent to someone.
If something like that ever happened to me at a range, and the range acted like they didn't care, I (and everyone I know)would never go back to that range. Glad he wasn't hurt. Happy new year!
GunShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:41 PM   #9
XDTalk 15K Member

Member #: 54775
was it out of time?
Bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:00 PM   #10
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 74224
Glad he is ok but if your trying to warn people about the range you might want to tell us the name of the place. And where is is...

Im me who else could i be
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
inferno66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » Wheelguns