||01-01-2013 11:16 AM
Birthday present gone wrong
Well Happy New Year to everyone here. The Mrs and I decided to take her father to the local range as part of his birthday present. Going through the basics again, refreshing on safety etc etc. Everything was going great until we rented a S&W 686 .357 mag with a 4" barrel and a box of .38 special rounds to start off with. After going over the drill with her dad a few times, he was confident and loaded it up. Both my wife and I were watching. He pulled the trigger and bam, the barrel blew off and went down range. He calmly put the remains down on the bench and looked at me and said "What did I do wrong". He was luckily not injured, just a tad shook up as to what had happened.
Needless to say my wife and I were fearing that it had shocked him right out of wanting to continue but it did not. The range on the other hand really did not have much to say, not even a "we're sorry". Just did not get charged for the rental or ammo but that was it.
We continued on afterwards, I could only take a snap of the barrel that went downrange. My guess was that it had a hairline crack somewhere underneath, but I'm no expert. I'm just glad nobody got hurt and have learned a valuable lesson, don't bother renting guns at the range we frequent.
Had my wife a bit curious now cause she's had the same exact revolver ordered from smith, she's just waiting for it to arrive now. Here's the only shot I could get of it down range.