• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

1896 Iver Johnson

This is a discussion on 1896 Iver Johnson within the Wheelguns forums, part of the Other Handgun Talk category; My son is at college right now and he just told me that a friend of his was at a park in Tupelo this weekend, ...

Old 02-23-2010, 08:08 PM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 42438
1896 Iver Johnson

My son is at college right now and he just told me that a friend of his was at a park in Tupelo this weekend, looked down beside the trail and saw this gun in the mud. He picked it up, brought it back to school with him and the boys went to work on it. (Off campus of course!) It was rusty, but they were able to get all the action to work. From what they could find thus far, it was the first hammerless revolver made. Anybody know anything about this gun?
Old 02-24-2010, 05:20 PM   #2
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 28550
CAn't help you the Iver Johnson but I can tell you it's not the first hammerless DA revolver made.

I'll aslo warn you that any gun this early must be used with the correct BLACK POWDER cartridges. Pass a warning along to your son that they shouldn't even consider firing that gun with a modern smokeless cartridge. Even it if fits, chances are very good that the gun will blow up with the first shot.

Smith & Wesson started producing the "Lemon Squeezer" Safety Hammerless in 1887 for the 38 caliber and 1888 for the 32 caliber. BTW, they got the nickname Lemon Squeezer due to the grip safety mounted to the backstrap of the grip frame. S&W also currently offers a current model J Frame, the model 40, that incorporate a grip safety that is quite similar in appearance to the original Lemon Squeezer.

PS, your posting seemed to inticate that you were posting images of that Iver Johnson. If you did intend to post some pictures, they didn't come through. Pics would be very helpful if you can post some.
scooter123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 06:15 PM   #3
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 37792
Found it in the mud? I'd be a little leery of that... Just saying.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:38 PM   #4
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 42438
Thanks for the info. Both of the inputs. My son even said it was probably used a robbery or something. Why else would it be lying in the mud? I watch Forensic Files or Science a lot and last night I even wondered if maybe it might be a missing clue for some crime. You never know and maybe I've been watching too much TV.

I didn't try to post anything, but did find this on Wiki:
Iver Johnson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia What I didn't say earlier was that the revolver was a 32. I think.

Again, thanks for the warning about the ammunition for this gun. I hope they would not try to fire it.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:49 PM   #5
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 39037
I inherited one of these lil' numbers in .32 S&W... when I started the research, I had NO idea that Iver Johnson pistols were used to assassinate more politicians than any other weapon! That alone was weird enough for me to keep it! HAHAHA
Reverenddel is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » Wheelguns

Search tags for this page
1896 iver johnson 38 hammerless

1896 iver johnson revolver

iver johnson 1896
iver johnson 1896 .38 pistol
iver johnson 1896 revolver
iver johnson 38 caliber hammerless revolver schematic
iver johnson 38 model 1896
iver johnson lemon squeezer 32
iver johnson vs smith wesson lemon squeezer

ivers johnson

schematic for iver johnson hammerless revolver
what is a 1896 .38 hammerless gun worth
Click on a term to search for related topics.