• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Charter Arms suck!

This is a discussion on Charter Arms suck! within the Wheelguns forums, part of the Other Handgun Talk category; I thought I would talk about my recent hand gun purchase. I had bought a Charter Arms Southpaw 38 special. Being a lefty, I thought ...

Old 01-16-2010, 04:23 PM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 25354
Charter Arms suck!

I thought I would talk about my recent hand gun purchase. I had bought a Charter Arms Southpaw 38 special. Being a lefty, I thought it would be cool. Plus, it would be my CC gun when not in New friggen Jerzey!

Well, let's just say I bought a lemon. It's been at the Charter Arms factory longer than in my safe.

3 trips to the factory:

1st trip: 2 rounds wouldn't eject out of the cylinder causing the cylinder to drop from me pushing harder on the extractor. They fixed it.

2nd trip: The gun was shooting left, way left! At 5 yards I was barely on the paper. I let 2 other guys at the range shoot it and it was the same thing. Sent it in and they fixed it.

3rd trip: Flame Cutting! For those that don't know what that is, it's the space between the cylinder and the barrel. It's melting at the point where it's causing a crack in the frame. I sent it in last week and haven't heard from them.

BTW, I paid the shipping on all three trips. I wrote that in my letter when I sent it in on the last trip.

What a piece of crap!

XD 45 tactical
Beretta Px4 9mm
Beretta Cx4 9mm
Ruger SR9
Ruger LCR
S&W M686
Charter Arms Southpaw 38 special
Para USA GI Expert
Colt Officers Model Match 22lr
Colt Officers Model Match 38 special
Colt Agent
Taurus M85
Stag Arms M2L
Remington 870 express
Ray Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-16-2010, 07:32 PM   #2
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 4113
Well, that's sad!
Old 01-16-2010, 08:33 PM   #3
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 21294
I guess not much has changed with Charter Arms. About twenty years ago I had a little .38special. After about 300 rounds the thing just locked up tighter than a drum. Couldn't open the cylinder or pull the trigger. Gotta love that kind of quality...
‘‘When we got organized as a country and we wrote a fairly radical Constitution with a radical Bill of Rights, giving a radical amount of individual freedom to Americans ...... And so a lot of people say there's too much personal freedom. When personal freedom's being abused, you have to move to limit it.’’
— Bill Clinton, 3-22-94
trik396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 01:04 PM   #4
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 25354
I've heard alot of good things about Charter since they've gotten new ownership. This problably is just a lemon, but man, it sucks! And to think I sold a Sig P229 40S&W to pay for that snubbie!

XD 45 tactical
Beretta Px4 9mm
Beretta Cx4 9mm
Ruger SR9
Ruger LCR
S&W M686
Charter Arms Southpaw 38 special
Para USA GI Expert
Colt Officers Model Match 22lr
Colt Officers Model Match 38 special
Colt Agent
Taurus M85
Stag Arms M2L
Remington 870 express
Ray Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 02:04 PM   #5
XDTalk 15K Member

Member #: 3721
I have an off duty .38, had it for over 20years and it's never given me any problems.
Quote:
Battlestar Galactica Book Of Pythia
"All of this has happened before, and all of it will happen again."
Quote:
People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome. River Tam Serenity
agalindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 04:13 PM   #6
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 25552
One of the worst revolvers ever is made by RG.
But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed. All we like sheep have gone astray, we have turned every one to his own way; and the Lord has laid on him the iniquity of us all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

KingArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:21 AM   #7
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 42560
I have heard that Charter Arms are low quality.
Cygnus X-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 12:44 AM   #8
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 42200
Sorry you had problems. I'm a lefty also I just bought a used 2yr old south paw and took it out shot 50rds and had no problems. Charter has made that same gun for a long time in righty. Maybe it was a friday gun and they have a life time warranty on materials and craftmanship so I hope the give you a good gun back.
Kevin 1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:27 AM   #9
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 39037
People besmirch Taurus Revolvers, but I've got peeps that have them in multiple variations, and they work just fine...
Reverenddel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:20 PM   #10
XDTalk Member

Member #: 43683
I can't speak for the older CA's but I'm not too impressed with the newer ones I've seen. Over the past year or so several students (maybe four or five) have used them in class where we shoot only 100 rounds. Factory-loaded ammunition is required so we can largely rule out ammo as the cause of the problems. Two locked up tightly (as mentioned before) and a third had misfires about 25% of the time (even when we switched ammo). I really can't say what what was wrong with them.

Another one was brought by a female student. She bought a brand-spanking new pink anodized version. On the range she was having trouble hitting a torso-sized target at 15 feet. When I examined the gun I noticed that the front sight was so wide, it filled the rear notch completely! There was no way to obtain proper sight alignment, let alone a sight picture. On the up side, it reliable fired every pull. When handed a S&W M-10 she easily shot a well-centered group all the way out to 50 feet.

I think the Southpaw and .44 Bulldog are great ideas. It's a shame they seem to be of such low quality. I wouldn't buy a Charter Arms revolver. For around the same price you could buy a lightly used S&W or Ruger.
meh92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » Wheelguns

Search tags for this page

charter arms 38 special review

charter arms 38 special southpaw

charter arms forum

charter arms forums

charter arms south paw

charter arms southpaw

charter arms southpaw for sale

charter arms southpaw review

charter arms southpaw reviews
charter arms sucks
charter southpaw
charter southpaw review
Click on a term to search for related topics.