• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Law allows veterans to salute during National Anthem

This is a discussion on Law allows veterans to salute during National Anthem within the U.S. Military Services & Veterans forums, part of the Protect & Serve category; VA Department of Veterans Affairs Office of Public Affairs Media Relations Washington, DC 20420 (202) 461-7600 www.va.gov News Release FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE October 30, 2008 ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Protect & Serve » U.S. Military Services & Veterans » Law allows veterans to salute during National Anthem

Old 10-30-2008, 07:54 PM   #1
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 67
Law allows veterans to salute during National Anthem

VA Department of Veterans Affairs
Office of Public Affairs
Media Relations
Washington, DC 20420
(202) 461-7600
www.va.gov

News Release

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
October 30, 2008

New Law Authorizes Veterans' Salutes during National Anthem

WASHINGTON (Oct. 30, 200 -- Veterans and active-duty military not in uniform can now render the military-style hand salute during the playing of the national anthem, thanks to changes in federal law that took effect this month.

"The military salute is a unique gesture of respect that marks those who have served in our nation's armed forces," said Secretary of Veterans Affairs Dr. James B. Peake. "This provision allows the application of that honor in all events involving our nation's flag."

The new provision improves upon a little known change in federal law last year that authorized veterans to render the military-style hand salute during the raising, lowering or passing of the flag, but it did not address salutes during the national anthem. Last year's provision also applied to members of the armed forces while not in uniform.

Traditionally, members of the nation's veterans service organizations have rendered the hand-salute during the national anthem and at events involving the national flag while wearing their organization's official head-gear.

The most recent change, authorizing hand-salutes during the national anthem by veterans and out-of-uniform military personnel, was sponsored by Sen. Jim Inhofe of Oklahoma, an Army veteran. It was included in the Defense Authorization Act of 2009, which President Bush signed on Oct. 14.

The earlier provision authorizing hand-salutes for veterans and out-of-uniform military personnel during the raising, lowering or passing of the flag, was contained in the National Defense Authorization Act of 2008, which took effect Jan. 28, 2008.

Ed
Remove Ads
Old 10-30-2008, 09:43 PM   #2
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 4352
Very nice.
"For those of us who exercised our privilege to serve our country, I can honestly say we did it proudly and shared a common bond of patriotism that those who were unwilling to answer our country's call will never understand or appreciate." - Dennis Foell
gsh341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 10:48 PM   #3
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 28259
Good deal. One question on that, covered or uncovered? I'd feel odd saluting without a cover on.
Moezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 09:49 AM   #4
XDTalk 5K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moezilla View Post
Good deal. One question on that, covered or uncovered? I'd feel odd saluting without a cover on.
It doesn't matter. Saluting is permissible with or without a cover. It's like when you report to an officer in their office. (Remove cover as you enter the building, approach officer's desk, salute, wait for return salute, order arms.)

Since many people don't wear hats outside, you can be assured that this was discussed and deemed to be a non-issue.
"For those of us who exercised our privilege to serve our country, I can honestly say we did it proudly and shared a common bond of patriotism that those who were unwilling to answer our country's call will never understand or appreciate." - Dennis Foell
Old 10-31-2008, 06:14 PM   #5
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 4305
Uncovered may be an issue with us MARINES. We don't salute indoors uncovered and unarmed. That wonderful MARINE training will be hard to forget.
RRA CAR A4 w/EOTECH for side matches
RRA LAR-PDS Pistol with Tri-Rail Handguard

USMC Veteran E-4 MOS 3531/0931
USPSA CRO - L3093 (forever 'C' Class)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

Last edited by bobert1; 10-31-2008 at 06:19 PM.
bobert1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 09:06 PM   #6
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 28259
Exactly why I asked Bobert and why it would feel odd. lol

Semper Fi!
Moezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 09:43 PM   #7
XDTalk 5K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobert1 View Post
Uncovered may be an issue with us MARINES. We don't salute indoors uncovered and unarmed. That wonderful MARINE training will be hard to forget.
Marines don't salute when reporting to an officer in their office? You learn something new every day.

102 NAVY AND MARINE CORPS HISTORY, CUSTOMS, AND COURTESIES

Quote:
e. Report to an officer.
1. Approach the officer at attention.
2. Halt about two paces from the officer.
3. Render the appropriate salute, and say, “Sir (Ma’am), (your name and grade)
reporting as ordered.”
4. Hold the salute until it is acknowledged.
5. Salute after business is completed and wait for the return of your salute or an
acknowledgement.
6. Take one step backward, execute an about face, and depart at attention.

f. Report to an officer indoors and unarmed.
a. When indoors, you will be uncovered. Follow the procedures above and do
not render a salute.
FM 7-21.13 Chapter 4, Customs, Courtesies, and Traditions

Quote:
4-14. Salutes are not required when:
  • Indoors, unless reporting to an officer or when on duty as a guard.
  • A prisoner.
  • Saluting is obviously inappropriate. In any case not covered by specific instructions, render the salute.
  • Either the senior or the subordinate is wearing civilian clothes.

Last edited by gsh341; 10-31-2008 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Corrected Information
Old 10-31-2008, 09:55 PM   #8
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 3502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moezilla View Post
Exactly why I asked Bobert and why it would feel odd. lol

Semper Fi!
The only time I would wear cover indoors was if I was armed...ARMY reg. I see your point, but the new law says that we CAN render a salute, so it's not manditory if we're in civies.
AR-15 M4 A3 w/optics
IDPA
NRA
If you can read this thank a teacher, if it's in English thank a Veteran.
Lead, follow, or get out of the way! George S. Patton
GlenncXD9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 08:30 AM   #9
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 16572
Quote:
Marines don't salute when reporting to an officer in their office?
Yeah, I think it goes back to the days when Marines were on board ships, and part of the ship's company. I groan every time I see movies with Marines saluting uncovered and/or in doors (I think Gomer Pyle did it all the time).

Anyway, I thought it was ok to salute the flag if you have a VFW cap on. I and my fellow VFW members have been doing it forever. If I just have a ball cap, on then I remove it and hold my hand over my heart.

Radio Relay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 08:37 AM   #10
XDTalk 25K Member

Member #: 1698
Interesting, I didn't know service members weren't allowed to salute the colors when not in uniform.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
&

Krackels is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Protect & Serve » U.S. Military Services & Veterans

Search tags for this page
can marines salute uncovered?

can retired military salute during national anthem

can veterens wear a hat during national anthem

do you salute indoors during the national anthem

hand salute national anthem indoors
indoor salute national anthem
law approving salute during the national anthem

law that allows ex-servicemen to salute when wearing a hat

national anthem procedure active duty

retired military salute national anthem

retired military saluting during national anthem

retired military to national anthem

saluting indoors national anthem

veteran keep hats on for national anthem

veterans saluting indoors

veterans wear ing hat during national anthem

Click on a term to search for related topics.