• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Atheist Chaplains - wtf?!

This is a discussion on Atheist Chaplains - wtf?! within the U.S. Military Services & Veterans forums, part of the Protect & Serve category; just saw the 'latest' social change agenda and testing the waters within the military that I really didn't see coming and that is the push ...

Old 07-23-2013, 08:34 PM   #1
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 17883
Atheist Chaplains - wtf?!

just saw the 'latest' social change agenda and testing the waters within the military that I really didn't see coming and that is the push to have - believe it or not - "Atheist Chaplains!" does that just define oxymoron or what?

FoxNews this afternoon had a guy, Congressmen Jared Polis from CO (D), [believe it or not, a 'Democrat'] and another guy (civi) pushing the Atheist and Humanists 'religion' or 'belief' or 'group' that were pushing the military to adopt having Atheists as mil Chaplains! How can that be, really, logically??

flabbergasting to me personally? I know there are a LOT of atheist on this forum, but this just doesn't make any sense to me? or maybe it's just ignorance of the military, possibly? who knows, it's beyond me, but our US legislators are at it again - Anti-Christian agenda...we must, we must, kill Christianity! crazy!

(link added later FYI for inital original post)
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...-for-atheists/

Last edited by getanxd; 07-24-2013 at 08:47 AM. Reason: link correction
getanxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-23-2013, 08:46 PM   #2
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 12586
hahahha...jeez what will they think of next

Atheist chaplain goes out to shot soldiers...kicks em..."oh well...the're dead...they're in a better place...oh wait"

What a joke our military has become due to the interference with a libtarded jackass that is working diligently to "fundamentally change" our country...

‎"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!" - Sam Houston
"quo vadis"
AwPhuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:50 PM   #3
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 16502
So there symbol is a?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

US Army 2005 - 2014
Kimber Series I Compact Aluminum - My Carry
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

NRA Life Member
SAF Defenders Club Life Membership
AZCDL Life Membership

IN HELPDESK WE TRUST #2

"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!"

Capt. John Parker, Lexington militia
ArmyGuy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:56 PM   #4
XDTalk 2K Member

"?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyGuy45 View Post
So there symbol is a?
pretty funny...I guess you meant a " ? " on their uni instead of a cross.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:33 AM   #5
XDTalk 2K Member

article

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...-for-atheists/

Members of Congress are set to square off over a push to create military chaplains for people who do not believe in God.

The effort to create a chaplain for atheists and "humanists" has been building over the last several weeks. While the title might sound inherently contradictory, supporters say the point is to give atheists in the military someone who will pro-actively reach out to them and facilitate meetings.

Jason Torpy, president of the Military Association of Atheists and Free Thinkers, claims that 23 percent of those in the military ranks assert no religious preference. And he argues chaplains are not providing enough "positive outreach and support" in the way "they do for all of those beliefs that aren't their own."

As might be expected, the campaign is running into some heated criticism.

Lawmakers turned away a Democratic-sponsored amendment last month that would have created the post -- and now, Republicans are trying to formally quash the idea, with an amendment to a defense budget bill that would require military chaplains to be affiliated with a particular faith.

"When it comes to the idea of an atheist chaplain, which is an oxymoron -- it's self-contradictory -- what you're really doing is now saying that we're going to replace true chaplains with non-chaplain chaplains," said sponsor Rep. John Fleming, R-La. "It's just total nonsense, the idea of having a chaplain who is an atheist."

Rep. Doug Collins, R-Ga., who is also an Air Force chaplain, said he often dealt with atheists who were simply asking about their problems.

"What I have found is so many times people in our world today just need someone to listen," he said.
But he questioned the idea of creating a new atheist-specific position, as there are other counseling services available.

"They need to come at it differently instead of just saying we want an atheist chaplain," Collins said. "I think there's plenty of opportunities for them to talk."

The Armed Forces has counselors of all kinds, including psychologists and psychiatrists. While calling a newly created post something else -- like a counselor -- might sit fine with the military, it doesn't satisfy those who specifically want a non-faith chaplain established.

Torpy said current chaplains are not doing enough to embrace non-believers. Further, in response to the effort to require chaplains be affiliated with an endorsing faith, he said the Humanist Society is recognized as a religious organization by the one agency that matters, at least for taxes -- the IRS.

"Basically, the standard is to be recognized as a church by the Internal Revenue Service," he said.
The U.S. military could decide on its own to allow non-faith chaplains, but members of Congress are trying to both require -- and prohibit -- the post.

Fleming vowed to oppose it.

"Let's define what a chaplain is. A chaplain is a minister of the faith -- someone who believes in a deity of a spiritual life who is assigned to a secular organization," he said.

Fox News' Jim Angle contributed to this report.

this did not have that idiot i heard yesteday from CO, Jared Polis, Democrat Rep's comments. but anyway, there is the news article on this insanity! they have got to kill God/Christianity in our lifetimes period! i think they even restrict Chaplains on using the word 'God' or 'Jesus' now under certain circumstances?

Last edited by getanxd; 07-24-2013 at 10:35 AM. Reason: fixed link
Old 07-24-2013, 09:43 AM   #6
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 88119
New Rule: Atheism
by Bill Maher
Quote:
Until someone claims to see Christopher Hitchens’ face in a tree stump, idiots must stop claiming that atheism is a religion.
There’s one little difference. Religion is defined as the belief in and worship of a super-human controlling power, and atheism is precisely not that.
Got it?
Atheism is a religion like abstinence is a sex position.
Believe it or not, I don’t really enjoy talking about religion all the time. In fact, not only is atheism not a religion, it’s not even my hobby. And that’s the best thing about being an atheist, it requires so little of your time. But there is a growing trend in this country that needs to be called out, and that is to label any evidence-based belief a “religion."
Many Americans now say that belief in man-made climate change is a religion. And Darwinism is a religion. And of course atheism, the total lack of religion, is somehow a religion too, according to the always reliable Encyclopedia Moronica. It’s a dodge, of course, straight out of the grand intellectual tradition of “I know you are but what am I?" It’s a way of saying, “Hey we all believe in some sort of faith-based malarky, so let’s call it a push."
No. N-n-n-n-no. It’s not fair that people who can’t defend their own nonsense get to create a fake fair and balanced argument, the way they do when asserting that evolution and creationism are equally valid. I’m not saying that atheists are perfect thinkers, everyone has blind spots - I’m sure there are atheists who think pony tails look good on a man, pineapple belongs on a pizza, Ayn Rand was in important thinker - but when it comes to religion, we’re not two sides of the same coin and you don’t get to put your un-reason up on the same shelf with my reason.
Your stuff has to go over there, on the shelf with Zeus, Thor and The Cracken - with the stuff that is not evidence-based, the stuff that religious people never change their mind about, no matter what happens. That’s not atheism.
I’m open to anything for which there is evidence. Show me a God and I will believe in him. If Jesus Christ comes down from the sky during the halftime show of this Sunday’s Super Bowl and turns all the nachos into loaves and fishes, I’ll think two things: first, “How dare he interrupt Beyonce, she is going to be pissed." And two: “Oh look at that, I was wrong. There he is. My bad. Praise the lord!"
But that’s not going to happen. And short of that, if you still insist atheism is a religion, then it’s only fair that we get to do all the looney stuff that you get to do.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:46 AM   #7
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 49858
Quote:
Originally Posted by getanxd View Post
"Atheist Chaplains!" does that just define oxymoron or what?
Agreed. Not much sense in traditional terms.

"So...they say you have a monster? A curse upon this land?? I am ripper, tearer, slasher, gouger. I am the teeth in the darkness, the challenge in the night. Mine is strength, and lust and power. I am Beowulf!"- Anglo-Saxon Nowell Codex

μολὼν λαβέ
N.E. Tx.XD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:30 AM   #8
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 70174
Why would it be unreasonable to provide chaplaincy services to atheist military service members?

New Study Shows Significant Atheist Military Population - Military Association of Atheists & Freethinkers | Military Association of Atheists & Freethinkers

Quote:
The underlying assumption of the general public and even professional chaplains is that chaplains “only do god” or at least supernatural spiritual support. This assumption is somewhat valid considering the history of the chaplaincy. By virtue of history, especially in the US and the military, the assumption could be that the chaplaincy is exclusive to Judeo-Christian beliefs. Looking at the modern chaplaincy, we see a chaplaincy profession that serves a population with diverse beliefs[10] and that serves in cooperation with other care-giving professions. A more modern view is found in Outcome Oriented Chaplaincy: Only a minority of 43 outcome-based “interactions” are focused on the beliefs of patients, and only a few were exclusively for those with divine/supernatural beliefs.[11] Chaplaincy is no longer just a euphemism for institutional clergy but rather a profession with competencies outside of religious clerical services. This respect for and development of a chaplaincy that provides care to all, including those with monotheistic, pantheistic, nontheistic or undeveloped beliefs, is the future of a relevant and needed chaplaincy. - See more at: Playing Favorites: What beliefs should chaplains support? - Military Association of Atheists & Freethinkers | Military Association of Atheists & Freethinkers
A growing portion of our service members are atheist or agnostic. These foxhole atheist deserve to have the support provided by a chaplaincy service that fits with their world views.
Blacksamwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:33 AM   #9
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 70174
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.E. Tx.XD View Post
Agreed. Not much sense in traditional terms.
The fact is that chaplains spend more of their time providing secular services than they do acting as military clergy. Given the portion of our military service members who don't have a faith and the realities of modern chaplaincy service it makes perfect sense.
Blacksamwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:42 AM   #10
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 49858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksamwell View Post
The fact is that chaplains spend more of their time providing secular services than they do acting as military clergy. Given the portion of our military service members who don't have a faith and the realities of modern chaplaincy service it makes perfect sense.
When I served, Chaplains always seemed to address "spiritual" services and needs. Since I'm not an atheist nor agnostic, I have trouble relating to their spiritual ideas. Thus why mentioning traditional sense.

But, I can see the needs for moral and ethical support, aside from the spiritual.

"So...they say you have a monster? A curse upon this land?? I am ripper, tearer, slasher, gouger. I am the teeth in the darkness, the challenge in the night. Mine is strength, and lust and power. I am Beowulf!"- Anglo-Saxon Nowell Codex

μολὼν λαβέ
N.E. Tx.XD is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Protect & Serve » U.S. Military Services & Veterans

Search tags for this page
atheist chaplain scientology
chaplain
jsainato
military to adopt atheist chaplains
talking to the chaplain about a military wife acting crazy

thunder6delata

thunder6delta
Click on a term to search for related topics.