• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

PTSD compensation question

This is a discussion on PTSD compensation question within the U.S. Military Services & Veterans forums, part of the Protect & Serve category; I have been discharged and regularly going to va appt. every three months for 3.5 yrs now. They have put me on all these antidepressants ...

Old 01-23-2013, 02:26 AM   #1
XDTalk Member

Member #: 83552
PTSD compensation question

I have been discharged and regularly going to va appt. every three months for 3.5 yrs now. They have put me on all these antidepressants you hear these psycho murderers are on (Zoloft Prozac bupropion). Thing is though I knew of the dangers of these medications prior to them being prescribed, so I was hesitant in taking them. I took Prozac first for a couple weeks and noticed a disregard for the sanctity of my life so I immediately stopped taking them and told my provider. Her only suggestion was to downgrade the dosage. Frustrated I agreed and left but I never took any other prescriptions they have came and flushed down the toilet for 3 yrs I have lied at my appointments fearing repercussion for disobeying doctors orders. But my PTSD has stayed under control and has gotten somewhat better. I still black out for a split second at loud sudden noises but no more punching my wife in my sleep, can't sit with my back to a crowd but no longer following Muslims in grocery stores.
I want to quit wasting tax payers money on the pills and possibly not be added to a list of crazies that can't own guns. I still feel as though I deserve my disability claim or I'd give that up as well. Is not scheduling appt.'s an option or do I need to tell my provider I want to "wean" off the antidepressants they think I'm on? Would either cause me to loose benefits? If I quit going to appt.s when would they cut benefits?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Sarge4377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-23-2013, 07:00 AM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 84703
I want to express my empathy and thank you for your service. I am by no means a Dr. If you feel like sending a pm i am a good listening ear.
mic_detonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:54 AM   #3
XDTalk Member

I'm good on the crazy thoughts by all means... no suicidal tendencies no homicidal thoughts just outrage about what the current administration is doing to the country I fought for, which I believe is justifiable. Just curious of what options I had if I told the VA I no longer wanted to take the meds.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 01-23-2013, 08:04 AM   #4
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 41593
Have you tried talking to your doctor? He became a doctor because he wants to help people, not because he wants to kick vets out of the system and take their benefits. Just explain the situation to him and explain what you want, which sounds like...you would like to try a different form of therapy, and is there anything he can recommend? I can understand you not wanting to take drugs, maybe they have some alternative therapies, many VAs are getting behind holistic and alternative therapies.

Just an aside, if you were only on prozac for 2 weeks you probably didn't give it enough time to actually begin working. Because the drug has such a long half life it takes a long time to build up a concentration that is effective at producing results.
mac_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:17 AM   #5
XDTalk Member

Took Prozac for close to a month started feeling like I didn't give a **** about anything (no motivation or determination) like a worthless piece of **** so I stopped, thing is I have told the doc multiple times I'd like to try something else and get off the pills yet she keeps basically demanding that I take them when I complain about some side effect she just changes to a different drug hence the bupropion and Zoloft. It's borderline annoying going to the appt.s the only other therapy is group therapy that meets 2 times a week every week and I'd be damned if I'm going and telling war stories with a bunch of Vietnam vets (all the respect in the world for them) but a 12 year old shooting at you, a few mortars a month and watching a soldier commit suicide because his whore wife cheated on him gets little respect from most Vietnam era vets. Plus I work and 2 times a week is unrealistic. I guess I'll just have to be more demanding to scale back the drugs it just seems they want to suppress any emotion by shutting my brain off. Kind of sad that they immediately go for the drugs IMHO.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 01-23-2013, 09:29 AM   #6
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 64180
Even if you stop seeing the doc at the VA you are still diagnosed as PTSD. I'm not sure of the repercussions though. With regular docs they don't follow you too closely. But no matter what you have I'm pretty sure they are supposed to re-evaluate you every 5 years. So keep you address up to date.

The DAV and VFW have VA experts and it might be a good idea to talk to one. Especially since it's almost impoible to keep up with the latest rules.
There are also veterans groups you can go to so you can talk with people who are having the same issues.

As for having PTSD, find something that helps you. i.e. Tia Chi, Yoga any martial arts. Something to concentrate on while your mind deals with itself.

Another thing that might help is getting a dog. IMO the right dog will give you mind a rest from being on guard all of the time. Mine is the Big Black German Shepherd. I love having him around and if I could I would take him everywhere. He's not certified and is trained by me so there are limitations where I can take him. He'd be a bum in a resturant.

But it doesn't have to be a big GSD. A little Yorkshire Terrier makes an extelent dog and will warn you if something is wrong. Even if it's inside you. And Yorkies don't shed.

If you've never had a dog. Places like Petsmart and Petco offer basic training and most will be able to steer you in how to get yours trained and certified as aservice dog. Then the dog can go anywhere with you. Even when he's in training.

Bigest thing is to find what works for you.

Good Luck, hope you find the peace you want.
deserth3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:09 PM   #7
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 41593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge4377 View Post
Took Prozac for close to a month started feeling like I didn't give a **** about anything (no motivation or determination) like a worthless piece of **** so I stopped, thing is I have told the doc multiple times I'd like to try something else and get off the pills yet she keeps basically demanding that I take them when I complain about some side effect she just changes to a different drug hence the bupropion and Zoloft. It's borderline annoying going to the appt.s the only other therapy is group therapy that meets 2 times a week every week and I'd be damned if I'm going and telling war stories with a bunch of Vietnam vets (all the respect in the world for them) but a 12 year old shooting at you, a few mortars a month and watching a soldier commit suicide because his whore wife cheated on him gets little respect from most Vietnam era vets. Plus I work and 2 times a week is unrealistic. I guess I'll just have to be more demanding to scale back the drugs it just seems they want to suppress any emotion by shutting my brain off. Kind of sad that they immediately go for the drugs IMHO.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Is there a different physician you can see or maybe get a referral to another? Maybe to a larger VA hospital or different group. Just remember that getting an appointment may not be the immediate answer, but that could lead to 3rd appointment or 3rd opinion.

I'd also try to be blunt with any new physician, but not hostile towards a recommendation. You want them to know you're opening up to them, and that you're interested in their opinion. I'm sure it's frustrating dealing with a bulky VA system, but if you seem hostile towards them it will shut down any extra effort they may have been willing to provide. A lot of the interactions I have as a med student really depends on the first 2-3 minutes of meeting a patient. If they are nice, appreciative, and seem genuinely interested in their care, then I'll be much more likely to stand up for them or push for a treatment/test.
mac_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:18 PM   #8
XDTalk Member

Thanks for the advice and I will second the dog helping out now that I think about it my extreme symptoms subsided quickly after getting my husky

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 01-24-2013, 08:06 AM   #9
XDTalk Member

Member #: 84982
Try to find another doctor. I have a great one and he listens to everything I tell him. He took me off the crap the other doctors had me on and my episodes are less.
Squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:35 PM   #10
Old Timer

Member #: 6414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge4377 View Post
...I never took any other prescriptions they have came and flushed down the toilet for 3 yrs...

This doesn't have much to do with the issue at hand, but I am curious; If you are flushing the drugs down the toilet every time, why do you even bother having the prescription filled?
chupacabrachus is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Protect & Serve » U.S. Military Services & Veterans

Search tags for this page
5 yrs ptsd compensation
can a vietnam vet been successfully diagnosed for ptsd wbile taking antidepressants
hour long blackout from ptsd
i have ptsd and i tried to commit suiside. can i claim disability against the va for this?
prozac military veteran compensation
ptsd compensation
ptsd vietnam veterans compensation
tried to stop ptsd compensation
up date on ptsd benefits compensation
up date on ptsd compensation benefits claim
va compensation ptsd down graded

vietnam veteran and ptsd side affects compensation

Click on a term to search for related topics.