• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

should I bother? interest in joining a branch

This is a discussion on should I bother? interest in joining a branch within the U.S. Military Services & Veterans forums, part of the Protect & Serve category; Ever since I was a little kid I knew at 18 I was joining the USAF with dreams of becoming a fighter pilot........THEN........i grew up ...

Old 02-16-2011, 11:07 PM   #1
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 50771
should I bother? interest in joining a branch

Ever since I was a little kid I knew at 18 I was joining the USAF with dreams of becoming a fighter pilot........THEN........i grew up to be 6'6 and a half and was told I was too tall to be a fighter pilot.

Fast foward, im now 29yrs old, still 6'6 and a half, and 265lbs (still a little overweight)......I work out regular and am getting in real good shape however my knees are somewhat messed up a little from a car accident.....they only affect me if im constantly running full speed on pavement for long periods of time

Im working a regular dead end job in a call center and really cant take having no direction in life anymore........I really dont know what I want to do the rest of my life or how to begin to get there..........everytime I think about what I can see myself doing, my brain basically "shuts down" and I cant get anywhere or it seems like a field / position thats impossible to get into................I think if I was to join some sort of branch of the armed forces, this would help me get on the right path and figure out what I will do with the rest of my life. Question is, at my age, condition, height, etc, should I bother?

because of my size, and love of tactical training with guns, one day I would really like to somehow get into the executive protection / personal protection field doing security detail work
"Lord make me fast and accurate, let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. Grant me victory over my foes and those that wish to do harm to me and mine. Let NOT my last thought be if I only had my gun.....and lord.....if today is truly the day that you call me home.....let me die in a empty pile of brass"
Sublimeon24s is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-16-2011, 11:16 PM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 35794
First things first, get your fat you know what in shape. No branch of the military wants a fat@**. Have some respect for yourself. Second, the military CAN be a great avenue for finding yourself or even making a career out of it. And you can die knowing you served your country. There are age limits, and be prepared to be one of the older guys.
TexDeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:53 PM   #3
XDTalk 500 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexDeuce View Post
First things first, get your fat you know what in shape. No branch of the military wants a fat@**. Have some respect for yourself. Second, the military CAN be a great avenue for finding yourself or even making a career out of it. And you can die knowing you served your country. There are age limits, and be prepared to be one of the older guys.
lol.........bro, 6'6 and 265 isnt all that fat,......I need to loose like 15lbs which will take another 2 months max...........at 230 I looked anorexic like a coke head
"Lord make me fast and accurate, let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. Grant me victory over my foes and those that wish to do harm to me and mine. Let NOT my last thought be if I only had my gun.....and lord.....if today is truly the day that you call me home.....let me die in a empty pile of brass"
Old 02-17-2011, 12:05 AM   #4
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 4352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublimeon24s View Post
Ever since I was a little kid I knew at 18 I was joining the USAF with dreams of becoming a fighter pilot........THEN........i grew up to be 6'6 and a half and was told I was too tall to be a fighter pilot.

Fast foward, im now 29yrs old, still 6'6 and a half, and 265lbs (still a little overweight)......I work out regular and am getting in real good shape however my knees are somewhat messed up a little from a car accident.....they only affect me if im constantly running full speed on pavement for long periods of time

Im working a regular dead end job in a call center and really cant take having no direction in life anymore........I really dont know what I want to do the rest of my life or how to begin to get there..........everytime I think about what I can see myself doing, my brain basically "shuts down" and I cant get anywhere or it seems like a field / position thats impossible to get into................I think if I was to join some sort of branch of the armed forces, this would help me get on the right path and figure out what I will do with the rest of my life. Question is, at my age, condition, height, etc, should I bother?

because of my size, and love of tactical training with guns, one day I would really like to somehow get into the executive protection / personal protection field doing security detail work
Go for it.

Since you have bad knees and live in Florida, maybe you should consider the Coast Guard. Being 6'6" might be a real asset in Maritime Enforcement or you might enjoy being a Gunner's Mate.

Odds are that either of those jobs will be easier on your knees than the Army or Marines.

Of course, if you want technical skills, the Air Force might be a good option.
"For those of us who exercised our privilege to serve our country, I can honestly say we did it proudly and shared a common bond of patriotism that those who were unwilling to answer our country's call will never understand or appreciate." - Dennis Foell
gsh341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:09 AM   #5
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 16502
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsh341 View Post
Go for it.

Since you have bad knees and live in Florida, maybe you should consider the Coast Guard. Being 6'6" might be a real asset in Maritime Enforcement or you might enjoy being a Gunner's Mate.

Odds are that either of those jobs will be easier on your knees than the Army or Marines.

Of course, if you want technical skills, the Air Force might be a good option.
+1 for civies in unifrom

Best move I ever did was joining up!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

US Army 2005 - 2014
Kimber Series I Compact Aluminum - My Carry
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

NRA Life Member
SAF Defenders Club Life Membership
AZCDL Life Membership

IN HELPDESK WE TRUST #2

"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!"

Capt. John Parker, Lexington militia
ArmyGuy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:11 AM   #6
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 35794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublimeon24s

lol.........bro, 6'6 and 265 isnt all that fat,......I need to loose like 15lbs which will take another 2 months max...........at 230 I looked anorexic like a coke head
I didn't see the 6'6 part lol my bad man. What I said still stands if you (or anyone) is overweight. I would have been much less harsh about it if I had seen your height. You are right, you aren't that far off.
TexDeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:12 AM   #7
XDTalk 500 Member

I would really be interested in Gunners Mate or Maritime Enforcement, or anything on a boat / helicopter. I was pretty much thinking coast guard when I made this thread, however I heard the coast guard in general is pretty hard to get into, nevertheless those (2) roles
Old 02-17-2011, 12:13 AM   #8
XDTalk 500 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexDeuce View Post
I didn't see the 6'6 part lol my bad man. What I said still stands if you (or anyone) is overweight. I would have been much less harsh about it if I had seen your height. You are right, you aren't that far off.
lol, its all good my man
Old 02-17-2011, 02:04 AM   #9
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 49477
Go for it bro! I joined the army when I was 28. Check out all the different branches and see what they have to offer. It is good to have options and be able to pick and choose from what they all have.
It was a good decision for me, I was kind of lost and not really going anywhere. Being in the service has really opened up doors for me and given me the discipline and focus I lacked before joining up.
It is not for everyone but I am glad I did it. I am now a for real college graduate, looking forward to a great career, and most importantly I have a wonderful family that makes it all worthwhile.
Do It!
Old 02-17-2011, 05:20 AM   #10
XDTalk Member

Member #: 53622
Joining the ANG was the best decision I ever made!! Just wish I would have joined at 18 instead of 22 so I could hit my 20 sooner. Just make sure when you do your research of all the branches Check out the GUARD/RESERVE as well as Active duty. You can be traditional (one weekend a month/two weeks a year) or possibly get a full time job and wear the uniform everyday.

No matter what branch or route you pick it will be an eye opening/life changing decision.
swaniriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Protect & Serve » U.S. Military Services & Veterans

Search tags for this page
best branch of military to join for 30 year old
can i join the airforce with a bad knee
can i still join the military at 30

can you join the military in your 30s

get out of dead end job join military
joining coast guard, bad knees
joining military your 30s

joining the army in your 30's

joining the military after 30
joining the military in your 30's

joining the military in your 30s

what branch of military can join at 30
what branch of military is best for thirty year olds
what branch of the military should i join to be a pilot
what military branch can i join at 30
which military branch should i join
Click on a term to search for related topics.