• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Vietnam War Story (true and a very good read)

This is a discussion on Vietnam War Story (true and a very good read) within the U.S. Military Services & Veterans forums, part of the Protect & Serve category; ...

Old 06-16-2010, 06:16 AM   #1
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 16572
Vietnam War Story (true and a very good read)

Last edited by Radio Relay; 06-17-2010 at 06:11 AM.
Radio Relay is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-16-2010, 07:43 AM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 43016
Crazy ****. I wonder what ever happened to Corporal Alvin Blackburn?
Old 06-16-2010, 09:11 AM   #3
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 21171
Sorry to say it, but the story is a fabrication. Extraordinary document from the Corps' war in Vietnam - Page 4 - Marine Corps Community for USMC Marine Veterans
Old 06-16-2010, 10:29 AM   #4
XDTalk 4K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matlt View Post
Thanks for pointing that out.

Man, that really, really, really pissed me the "f" off!!!

This came from a so-called credible source. I read through it, and from the language and what I know of how it was then, it seemed true to me too.

crap, crap, crap!! sometimes I really hate the internet!

I appologize, I might delete the original post ...

Old 06-17-2010, 10:37 PM   #5
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 21171
It's odd that someone would make up such a story when there are plenty of true stories out there that are just as or more impressive.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:49 AM   #6
XDTalk 4K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matlt View Post
It's odd that someone would make up such a story when there are plenty of true stories out there that are just as or more impressive.
Ain't that the truth.

Actually, as I was reading it, I was thinking "that's a bit over the top", which is usually the first red flag for b.s., but then, I was on a radio relay site for 3rd Force Recon Co, for a couple months in Vietnam, and had seen Recon Marines pull some pretty "over the top" sh1t.

Also, that was sent to me via email from a website that Oliver North writes a column for. So, I figured it must have been vetted. Well, I was wrong, and again, I apologize.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:23 PM   #7
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 73179
"This came from a so-called credible source. I read through it, and from the language and what I know of how it was then, it seemed true to me too."

It sounded true?

8 lightly armed reconners would vol engage a NVA company on open ground, without cover or the advantage of the high ground, when they did not have to?

8 lightly armed reconners would outgun a company of NVA in a fair out in the open fire fight?

And when they had a working radio to call in air support on that company of NVA? Something they could have done if they had let that NVA company pass on by.

And an experienced recon Marine would jump to his feet, during a fire fight and take on a whole company of NVA while shooting a BAR with one hand while throwing frags with the other?

And standing there in the open until that Marine killed 50 of the NVA?

And that company of NVA would then after being outgunned by these small handful of guys would up and throw down their weapons and surrender to what is left of a small Team---- maybe 4 guys?

The NVA company would surrender as opposed to just running in the opposite direction?

And a recon Team leader, right after a prolonged fire fight in the jungle, with seriously WIA Marines to look after, with fear NVA help was on the way, would go around and find all the spent shells and bury them before getting his people the heck out of there asap?

Did he figure the NVA would see the spent shells but not all those dead NVA laying around, and would know a fire fight had happened right here?

And an experienced VN reconner would lose 45 pounds from an already small frame just because he was out of chow for a few days?

Or that an official USMC report on murder or the MOH would fail to mention what recon unit these heroes were from?

Jumping in? It happened all of 3 times in VN for Recon. And not one of the 3 was the Blackburn patrol.

Those BARs taken on a VN jump?

A recon Marine telling an officer he had no idea where he had been on patrol-----somewhere behind enemy lines?

All recon team members were fully briefed at least once if not twice before they ever got on those choppers in my day. And everyone was kept informed once we were boots on the ground as to where we were.

Exactly what looked true to you my friend?

I find it hard to believe that anyone needed to fact check this nonsense and did not see it for what it was straight off.

My goodness
oldreconguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:25 PM   #8
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 15720
yall kidding they read this to me in SOI lol...

the other story the extended version with all 3 statements has a Marine using 2 1911s at once at the offset of a fight, thats where i started thinking crap was made up, and I was dead tired from humping machine guns when I heard it.
yocan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:33 PM   #9
XDTalk Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by yocan View Post
yall kidding they read this to me in SOI lol...

the other story not in that link has a Marine using 2 1911s at once at the offset of a fight, thats where i started thinking crap was made up, and I was dead tired from humping machine guns when I heard it.

I think there is at least 2 or 3 different versions of this that have made the rounds.

Small changes. A 40 pound weight loss vs a 45 pound weight loss.

The one I remember was a Marine standing and firing with two 38's.

I loved that added touch-----38's.

I really wonder who did this and when? I am dying to know.

It was so well done. Who could have written this much and gotten everything wrong.

Getting everything wrong is the mark of a real pro.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:43 AM   #10
XDTalk Newbie

USMC 3rd Recon Bn MIAs recovered/buried in Arlington 5/10

Not to make a big thing of this thread but the link above (still pretty hard for me to read) is a very well done article about Team Breaker from Alpha 3ReconBn.

These guys ran into a NVA Company. Or I should say a NVA Company ran into them.

Bless the Wing. And everyone else that lent a hand.

Without them it would have been a 100% loss for that team.

Worth the read

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Protect & Serve » U.S. Military Services & Veterans

Search tags for this page
alvin blackburn usmc
blackburn vietnam
corporal alvin blackburn

corporal blackburn usmc

corporal blackburn vietnam

cpl alvin blackburn

cpl blackburn

cpl blackburn story

cpl blackburn usmc

cpl blackburn vietnam

free true vietnam war stories

true vietnam war stories

Click on a term to search for related topics.