• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Long term food storage. What do you keep and how much?

This is a discussion on Long term food storage. What do you keep and how much? within the SHTF/Survival&Disaster Preparedness forums, part of the Use and Training category; I just got back from my 2nd trip to the Mormon food pantry. NO, I'm not a Morman and NO I won't be converting anytime ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Use and Training » SHTF/Survival&Disaster Preparedness » Long term food storage. What do you keep and how much?

Old 01-24-2013, 08:55 PM   #1
XDTalk Member

Member #: 86752
Long term food storage. What do you keep and how much?

I just got back from my 2nd trip to the Mormon food pantry. NO, I'm not a Morman and NO I won't be converting anytime EVER. However, they DO have it going on with the long term food storage deal. If you have an LDS Food Storage facility near you, it's worth the trip. They are non-profit, open to anyone. In my 2 trips they didn't try to convert me even once. They are very proud of their facility though.

Last time I went I brought home a few cases of #10 cans full of Hard White Wheat, Black and Great Northern Beans, and dehydrated carrots. Tonight I came home with a few cases of #10 cans full of flour, dehydrated onions, potato flakes, pinto beans, dehydrated apple slices and quick cooking rolled oats. All dried goods that last a min of 25 years. Next time I go I want to get a few cases of dry milk and some more carrots and I should be mostly good.

I also have 100 pounds of rice and 70 pounds of sugar in mylar sealed 5 gallon food grade buckets and 15 pounds of salt.

All in all I have around 600 pounds of dried food and have only spent about $400 dollars on it. That's 600 pounds of DRY food. Once cooked in water, I figure it will about triple in weight. I'm guessing I have around 6 months worth of food in case TSHTF. And 2 ceramic, gravity fed water filttration systems too.

I figure I insure all the material stuff in my life, why not insure that those that I love will have food to eat IF something bad happens in the future.

I really want to get a Kelly Kettle for fast boiling water not just for drinking but also for cooking. Boiling water for beans, rice, carrots, apples, onions, potatos, oats is not essential, but sure does help.

Wondering if, other than oils, am I missing anything?

What do you keep?
BBQGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Use and Training » SHTF/Survival&Disaster Preparedness

Search tags for this page
how much long term food storage
how to long term store flour
how to preserve food for long term storage

how to store food long term

lds food storage facility
long term dehydrated food storage
long term flour storage
long term food

long term food storage

long term food storage forum
long term food storage shows
long term storage of flour
shtf how to store flour
six months worth of food for the shtf
storing white flour long term
which foods for long term storage
Click on a term to search for related topics.