• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Help Choosing First Aid

This is a discussion on Help Choosing First Aid within the SHTF/Survival&Disaster Preparedness forums, part of the Use and Training category; I wanted to see what kits everyone has. I am looking for one large complete kit and maybe a few smaller kits. The main reason ...

Old 01-15-2013, 10:45 PM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 33483
Help Choosing First Aid

I wanted to see what kits everyone has. I am looking for one large complete kit and maybe a few smaller kits. The main reason a kit is necessary is because I have a large amount saved up in my HSA and can only use it on specific things.

Also has anyone used their HSA towards anything else that would be useful?
mk3turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-15-2013, 11:36 PM   #2
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 75832
My vote is to build your own. Most premade kits are full of junk with one or 2 decent items. I like the stuff in the adventuremedical "refill" section.

My must have's:

Israeli bandages
3m 4" wound strips
ITStactical tourniquet
Self adhering gauze
assorted boo-boo bandages

web souces for kit stuff: adventure medical, itstactical, amazon, walgreens
Krull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:24 AM   #3
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 82315
Definitely make your own, all of my kits are usually fairly small and dedicated to a specific use. Solo hiking, home use, SHTF, car use, etc. I once hiked with a guy that had a fairly expensive packaged 1st aid kit, the entire hike everything he needed wasn't in his kit and he had to use my stuff even the bandaids in his kit were the cheap plastic ones and too small for what he needed. Target the contents to your needs, the number of people, and what you will actually use. Moleskin is one of the things I keep small squares of that has come in handy more than almost anything. Quality bandages, liquid skin, super glue, disposable emergency blanket, duct tape, para cord, heavy foil folded up into as small a square as possible, needles, thread, floss, pepto, ibuprofen... stuff like that is all invaluable and rarely in a commercial kit.
WirePaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:13 PM   #4
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 70845
I found it was more cost effective to buy a decent first responder kit then add to it lots of resources online with ideas on what you need.
Legen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:41 PM   #5
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 16197
Build your own. It's not just for cost reasons, you need to intimately know what is in the kit. For the home, I suggest a large clear plastic container to allow for quick visual review of what's inside.

I was away on business when my toddler son was injured in our kitchen when a porcelain bowl shattered near him. My wife called 911 and used the med kit to stop the bleeding until the paramedics arrived. He needed many stitches. The kit and my wife's actions prevented greater trauma. She was able to quickly go through the kit whereas a ready made kit everything is tightly packed and poorly labeled. The medics said they had never seen a "regular family" with such an organized and complete kit (tooting my horn here).

The ready made stuff looks cool, but KISS is crucial in a medical situation.

Clear tub with lid.
Standard bandages.
Knife.
Gauze pads.
Scissors.
Med tape.
Tweezers.
Saline rinse.
Burn / bite cream.
Ace bandage.
Backpacking style towel.
Quick reference guide to first aide (for you and novice).
Water bottle.

This is a VERY basic, minimum standard.

-poly

XD .45 Service

NRA Member
polykarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:01 PM   #6
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 47428
I bought the following and added a splint and some tampons.

Individual Operator Kit (TMK-IO) | www.chinookmed.com

And the book:

http://www.chinookmed.com/cgi-bin/it...itary-7th-Edit
cz75luver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:15 PM   #7
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 13228
Quote:
Originally Posted by cz75luver View Post
I bought the following and added a splint and some tampons.
Kotex pads make great large wound bandages.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:45 PM   #8
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 57250
i keep antibiotic cream, and hydro-cortisone cream as well, and a face mask.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer "Not to Speak is to Speak. Not to Act is to Act."
The Weapon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:27 PM   #9
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 34520
chemical ice packs might be good. Cold does the most good when applied immediately.

a Leatherman Micra. Its small with great tweezers and scissors, plus the standard knife, screwdrivers, file, etc. I use my key-chain Micra all the time, and so do my co-workers.

duct tape and super glue also have emergency medical uses.
Groo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:41 AM   #10
XDTalk Member

Member #: 85186
First don't have equipment/ supplies that you are not properly traned to use. Building you own kit is so much better than buying one already built. If you make your own kit you know what's in it an you can also build it to fit your needs. But here are some basics needs.
1) hemorage controll
-- like battle pressure dressings, quick clot, galls pads (4x4 and 2x2), galls sponges, and galls rolls. Also I have an ace bandage in mine in case more pressure is needed. And a must have is the female hygene Maxie pads, for wounds that are bleeding a lot they are better than the galls.
2) medication
-- let me say it again only have medication you are trained and know how to use.
Good meds to carry are Tylenol, Ibiprofen, Benadryl and a antiemetic of some sort like zofran to prevent nausea. Also some eye drops, burn cream and antibiotic cream. And bug spray. I have a lot more meds in my kit, like antacid meds, eppi pen and more
----- if it is a SHTF situation then any antibiotic medication how ever not all antibiotic med treat every thing.

3) if you bag is big enough then splints and a couple of ace raps along with ice packs and some hand warmers.

4) air way supplies if you are trained to use them

5) other
--- band aids, alcohol pads, iodine swabs, non suture closing methods (steri strips, liquid bandages)

6)advanced equipment
In my little kit I have all above plus sutures,needle drivers and wound care kit, nasal trumpet, OPA, and IV start kit.
I have all that in my little kit. It is the condor rip-a-way med pouch. It dose look small in the pic on line but it is the smallest-biggest kits I have ever used. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants a small bag but wants to carry a lot of equipment.
Also sorry about any misspelled words i am sleep deprive using my iPhone at work.
Here is the link
http://http://www.tacgearstore.com/c...uch-p-298.html
Firewolf520 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Use and Training » SHTF/Survival&Disaster Preparedness

Search tags for this page

first aid

first aid kit xdtalk forum

Click on a term to search for related topics.