XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source!

XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! (http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/)
-   SHTF/Survival&Disaster Preparedness (http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/shtf-survival-disaster-preparedness/)
-   -   WalMart Suspends Ammo Orders Pending Gun Control Decision | CNS News (http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/shtf-survival-disaster-preparedness/222600-walmart-suspends-ammo-orders-pending-gun-control-decision-cns-news.html)

AlaskaKodiak 01-14-2013 02:38 PM

WalMart Suspends Ammo Orders Pending Gun Control Decision | CNS News

WalMart reportedly has stopped selling ammunition ahead of the Obama administration’s anticipated gun control recommendations to Congress -- and uncertainty over what new laws may be coming.

According to the Investment Watch blog, WalMart Corporation will no longer place new ammunition orders pending “the upcoming decision on the Second Amendment.”
A customer stood with a WalMart employee as a call was made to the corporate office.
WalMart headquarters told the employee the following:
“As of right now WalMart is not going to be making any new orders of ammo because of the upcoming decision on the Second Amendment. As of right now we are unsure of what new legislation might be coming, and because of this, we are suspending new orders.
“We will continue to sell what is already in stock in stores and at our distribution centers, but any new orders will not be shipped until the issue is resolved.”
Investment Watch blog does not provide a link to a WalMart statement but urges customers to contact the corporate headquarters at 1-800-925-6278 to confirm the decision.
You can listen to a recorded customer service call here.

WalMart Suspends Ammo Orders Pending Gun Control Decision | CNS News Mobile

MidwestDefenseInstitute 01-14-2013 02:46 PM

I think it is more likely they don't want to get caught with ammunition they purchased at higher rates after the ammunition surge collapses.

At some point, ban or no ban, ammo prices will fall to normal again as supply and demand level out. And Wal Mart doesn't want to be stuck with ammo costing more than their competitors as a result.

Pro-gun? Absolutely not. Good business? Potentially.

The less Wal Mart buys, the more ammo available elsewhere. Fine by me.

Broadside 01-14-2013 02:46 PM

One more reason not to shop at Walmart, actually that was the only reason why I shopped at Walmart....

Vnuk1 01-14-2013 02:55 PM

I am sure glad Cabelas is literally 10 minutes from me...

Give them nothing, but take from them everything...

Ridge 01-14-2013 03:23 PM

I'm calling BS on this one... Don't you think the "media" would love this story if true? A blog?? Come on...

Krackels 01-14-2013 03:27 PM

I think they don't want to get stuck with ammunition in their inventory and then have something like background checks required for ammunition (i've heard some on the left proposing it).

AwPhuch 01-14-2013 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ridge (Post 3731711)
I'm calling BS on this one... Don't you think the "media" would love this story if true? A blog?? Come on...

Come to think about it...yeah...it would be headline news for at least a day

"Worlds largest retailer refuses to sell ammo due to the Sandy Hook shooting"

They would eat that headline up!

xdm-er 01-14-2013 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MidwestDefenseInstitute (Post 3731639)
I think it is more likely they don't want to get caught with ammunition they purchased at higher rates after the ammunition surge collapses.

At some point, ban or no ban, ammo prices will fall to normal again as supply and demand level out. And Wal Mart doesn't want to be stuck with ammo costing more than their competitors as a result.

Pro-gun? Absolutely not. Good business? Potentially.

The less Wal Mart buys, the more ammo available elsewhere. Fine by me.

+1

That's purely a move on their end to not lose $$$ on their bottom line and try to appear as the "good guy" in the process. :)

No matter which outcome ammo prices/supply will return to normal, eventually.

Vnuk1 01-14-2013 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AwPhuch (Post 3731868)
Come to think about it...yeah...it would be headline news for at least a day

"Worlds largest retailer refuses to sell ammo due to the Sandy Hook shooting"

They would eat that headline up!

Well if it is BS, it's spread very quickly for a hoax....

Give them nothing, but take from them everything...

Groo 01-14-2013 09:23 PM

I have my doubts on this one too. Its not like ammo is going to be banned under any proposal that I've yet seen. I'd buy that they don't want to pay inflated prices on ammo though. I know I'm not doing it so I certainly can't blame them for following my lead.
FWIW, I picked up a box of 12 gauge ammo at WalMart a couple of days ago. They had thousands of rounds at what struck me as reasonable prices (about 30 cents per round). They also had plenty of rifle and pistol ammo too, but I didn't look too closely at it.