• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Stuff to put in the SHTF safe?

This is a discussion on Stuff to put in the SHTF safe? within the SHTF/Survival&Disaster Preparedness forums, part of the Use and Training category; Get a .22lr. A 10/22 is a great little gun....

Old 10-31-2012, 09:20 PM   #11
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 38362
Get a .22lr. A 10/22 is a great little gun.

Tactical black cat - sleeps in doorways

A right unused become a privilege for the ruling class.

john_bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-06-2012, 12:00 PM   #12
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 80377
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkorner View Post
Hey guys, i'm not new to prepping, but i'm definitely not close to being completely prepared. So please be easy on me. I have recently acquired a new fireproof safe that my dad picked up at a yard sale. I already have a house safe that has all my important documents in it that I need in case of emergency. My gun safe is already full as well. This new safe I have is not large by any means, but it is large enough to put things in for SHTF scenarios. (16" x 9.5" x 9.5" inside)

So far I have put the following in it:

120 rounds of 7.62x39
200 rounds of 9mm
120 rounds of 5.56
100 rounds of .45ACP
4 AR-15 mags (loaded)
4 AK-47 mags (loaded)
XD9 with 3 mags
2 1911 mags (loaded)

What else do you guys think I should put in there (or change) for SHTF?
*note* I am only doing this in case (heaven forbid) my house would burn down

How long do you leave those mags loaded? Do you periodically strengthen the springs in them?
mmullen1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:12 PM   #13
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 67026
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmullen1488 View Post
How long do you leave those mags loaded? Do you periodically strengthen the springs in them?
It's a commonly held myth, esp in the gun world.

Springs do not wear because they are compressed. It's the acts of compressing / decompressing a spring that causes wear.

They are metal, so they can rust / corrode and suffer damage that way, too.
speedrrracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:25 PM   #14
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 80377
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedrrracer View Post
It's a commonly held myth, esp in the gun world.

Springs do not wear because they are compressed. It's the acts of compressing / decompressing a spring that causes wear.

They are metal, so they can rust / corrode and suffer damage that way, too.

Ah, on deployments we would do it so often before going out.
mmullen1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:30 PM   #15
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 79514
Toilet paper. God knows that stuff can be a godsend in a SHTF situation. Also a guttin knife, and maybe a Hustler for lonely nights. And oh yea more ammo! Can never have too much of that stuff....

One cannot fully appreciate their Citizenship until they've fought for it.

Yes, I do prepare for war. If no war happens in my time so be it, but my kids will be prepared for it in their time.
XDPoint4Ohh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:53 PM   #16
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 81524
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedrrracer View Post
It seems to me nothing you mentioned focuses on the problem you claim to be interested in solving.

You want to prep for a house fire. That's very smart, it's the most likely SHTF-event in the USA by a gigantic, ridiculous margin. First, watch this video:

"Link to video that I can't post due to post count..."

Now tell me, what can you grab (in the 30 seconds or so before the smoke inhalation kills you) that you would like to have next to you on the sidewalk (which is where you'll be standing after your house burns down)?

Maybe your family? Pets? Clothing? Wallet? Some water to wash the carbon soot off your face?

Notice how thousands of rounds of ammo is not on that list.

If the fire dept rocks up to your burning house and you are standing in front of the house looking like John Rambo, they are going to call SWAT on your ass, and watch your house burn to the ground.

First is protect yourself and your family. Do they all know where to go and what to do when the CO2 alarms go off?
Do they all have BOB's for their clothing, meds, weather protection, toiletries, food, water? No, none of them needs an AK-47, either.

Then protect your assets. Fireproof safes are great, but they're not really fireproof. They're all rated to a certain temp for a certain amount of time before they fail. So, consider offsite backup of all your important stuff. Scan all your important pictures and documents. It will take a long time. Put it all in a folder, or series of folders, each one less than 25 megs.

Encrypt each folder, and then email them to a free GMail account. Now Google has a backup of all your important crap, but it's encrypted, so no one will screw with it.

When some important doc changes, update that particular folder only, re-encrypt, archive the old email with the old version, and email yourself the new one. Easy and free.

There are of course pay services which do this, too, but the important thing is that now, even if your fireproof safe failed, you're still covered, because you have copies of all the important stuff.

This is important because if your wife has to get rushed to the hospital for smoke inhalation, you aren't bringing your safe with you -- it's buried underneath tons of smoking debris -- IF it even survived. The fire dept isn't going to let you near it for a long time. The hospital will have a computer with internet access, so you can download the folder, decrypt, and tell them, "Yes, my insurance number is 1234 and my wife is allergic to penicillin. Here's her complete medical history."

And when the fire insurance agent meets you at your hotel the next day (the fire dept still won't let you go digging for your safe) and says, "Well, can you prove you had a new 30,000 roof installed?" You download the folder with pictures of all your property, and say, "Yes, have a look" and then you download the folder with scanned copies of the receipts, and say, "Oh, it was more like 31,000 dollars, here's the proof."

I would totally recommend sticking a carry gun in your bob as long as you're legal, but surviving a house fire has nothing to do with firepower, and that's what you claim this thread is about...
This is the most thought out response to a SHTF thread I have seen in a long time, specifically about the electronic storage of important Medical .docs. But in a SHTF (other than one like the OP mentioned, a fire) are there going to be lines still up to access the info you have stored? Kudos to you, is still a must.

In the case that the house DOESN"T burn down and its still a SHTF scenerio, I would like to have:

A case of lighters
Alternate fire starter
Undergarments
Survival Straw/Filtering devices and a steel container.
Food
More water/storage/filtration systems.
Warmth providing items (tarp/blankets, at the very least, a change of warm clothing)
Copy of all important .docs
Spare keys
Cash, coinage, tangible trade goods
A .22lr rifle and good scope.
Ammo for my .22lr
A rifle of a larger hole making design.
Ammo for the rifle
A pistol
Ammo for the pistol

And in that order. I believe the most valuable (tangible) item, in the long run, will be a source of fire. I have 2 cases (100 each) of standard bic lighters. I would throw out a brick of the pistol ammo to carry another brick of lighters. After all, my plan is to lay low and not have to use my ammo on anything other than protein (vein dreams, yes... But hopefully somewhat achievable).

YMMV.
Neeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:24 PM   #17
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 29299
Just an FYI, I've had people tell me not to put ammo in safes. I'm not sure if that's still true with fireproof safes though.
ackks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:02 AM   #18
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 80762
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkorner View Post
Hey guys, i'm not new to prepping, but i'm definitely not close to being completely prepared. So please be easy on me. I have recently acquired a new fireproof safe that my dad picked up at a yard sale. I already have a house safe that has all my important documents in it that I need in case of emergency. My gun safe is already full as well. This new safe I have is not large by any means, but it is large enough to put things in for SHTF scenarios. (16" x 9.5" x 9.5" inside)

So far I have put the following in it:

120 rounds of 7.62x39
200 rounds of 9mm
120 rounds of 5.56
100 rounds of .45ACP
4 AR-15 mags (loaded)
4 AK-47 mags (loaded)
XD9 with 3 mags
2 1911 mags (loaded)

What else do you guys think I should put in there (or change) for SHTF?
*note* I am only doing this in case (heaven forbid) my house would burn down
Sounds pretty good man. I would make copies of birth certificates and important documents so if you need to run you can grab those and God knows when you will need those documents. Lighters/matches, something to make a fire. Knives. And I would multiply Ammo x5-x20 and double your magazines. If it really is SHTF you will wish you had more ammo. Also put all your ammo, mags, etc into bags so you can open the safe and grab the few bags and make a run for it. Firearms of course out and ready to grab.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:41 PM   #19
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 34520
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackks View Post
Just an FYI, I've had people tell me not to put ammo in safes. I'm not sure if that's still true with fireproof safes though.
if the rounds cook off, they might damage the rest of your crap in the safe that might have otherwise been OK, but that would be pretty unlikely.

Even if a case of ammo cooks off, its not like the pressure will build up to the point of an explosion. I wouldn't store ammo in a sealed 6" iron pipe though
Groo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:15 AM   #20
Old Timer

Member #: 47680
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackks View Post
if rounds are cooking off in any safe there isn't much concern for damaging other contents in there at that point. I'd be more worried about rounds coming through sheetrock than any metallic barrier.
///MCoupé is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Use and Training » SHTF/Survival&Disaster Preparedness

ammo, safe, shtf

Search tags for this page
batons for shtf
best safe place to go when shtf in san diego
burial gun vaults for shtf
container you home contents incase shtf
documents to have copies of post shtf
documents to have when shtf

fireproof ammo safe

fireproof ammunition safe

fireproof storage of ammo

shtf

shtf columbia, mo
shtf cover your own ass
shtf in columbia mo

silver coins shtf

taser for shtf
what items to put in a shtf cache
Click on a term to search for related topics.