• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

A threat I never thought of!

This is a discussion on A threat I never thought of! within the SHTF/Survival&Disaster Preparedness forums, part of the Use and Training category; I saw this article today and while I'm not exactly worrying I was surprised by some of the stats: Exotic Animals Post SHTF I found ...

Old 07-10-2012, 01:16 PM   #1
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 18081
A threat I never thought of!

I saw this article today and while I'm not exactly worrying I was surprised by some of the stats:
Exotic Animals Post SHTF

I found this amazing:

"It is estimated that there are at least 4,000 tigers legally owned by private individuals in Texas. There are more tigers captive in Texas than roaming in the wild in India. "
Remove Ads
Old 07-10-2012, 01:29 PM   #2
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 23189
A few months back I read an apocalyptic type book that mentioned this same thing.... I just had no idea about the numbers though.

One more thing to worry about...
Old 07-10-2012, 01:47 PM   #3
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 67026
It's an interesting premise, but I'm with you -- not exactly worth worrying about.

Some will survive and become a part of the ecosystem, working out some kind of equilibrium. Those few survivors could be a threat in isolated incidents, but I have to wonder if the gigantic pet dog population in the USA isn't going to be far more of an issue.

Still, no one is going to be prepared if they're raiding Walmart and bump into a rhino...
speedrrracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:24 PM   #4
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 74142
About ten miles south of my town a guy had four Siberians til they ate his girlfriend. What's the saying around here..play stupid games win stupid prizes..? He had to learn the hard way that they weren't chickens and they were not his friends. But SHTF, I'll go shoot the neighbors tiger before I spend a day deer hunting. Grilled kitty, mmm
Old 07-10-2012, 02:28 PM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 73283
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowl443 View Post
A few months back I read an apocalyptic type book that mentioned this same thing.... I just had no idea about the numbers though.

One more thing to worry about...
Care to mention the book? Any good?
POLLOCK28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:29 PM   #6
XDTalk Supporter

Member #: 67471
Hell, there was the guy in Zanesville Ohio a while back who set all of his exotic animals free right before he killed himself. It was crazy around there. Law enforcement had open season.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:40 PM   #7
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 43026
a few years back a at my job the neighbor had a lion for over 10 years until it died.... you'd be at work and hear a roar...it was crazy.....

and last year a customer said he saw what look like a mtn. lion ...big cat with a black tip on its tail.......
I work south of DFW and seen and heard alot of crazy stuff....
I pack a 357 on hikesdue to in Tx you never know what you'll run into...
last year in town at a local park someone released an alligator,got to big to feed I guess.....
this topic is not new ..it just coming to light more so every year

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

texastony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:46 PM   #8
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 23189
Quote:
Originally Posted by POLLOCK28 View Post
Care to mention the book? Any good?
Alone: TR Sullivan: Amazon.com: Kindle Store Alone: TR Sullivan: Amazon.com: Kindle Store

For a free book on Kindle, it wasn't bad at all. I really got into it and finished it two days.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:52 PM   #9
XDTalk 15K Member

Member #: 54775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
Hell, there was the guy in Zanesville Ohio a while back who set all of his exotic animals free right before he killed himself. It was crazy around there. Law enforcement had open season.

they killed a lion on a road 5 minutes from where my buddy lives. I have personally walked down that road and probably stepped right where the lion died.

oh yeah... a deputy killed a giant full size adult grizzly bear with a single shot from a .40 cal. not 9mm .40 cal
Bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:31 PM   #10
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 34520
unless someone decides to free his pets before he falls to the Spanish Lady mk.2, I don't see how it would become a significant problem. If they could get out easy, they'd already be out. I bet most exotic owners would put them down before setting them free. There is a little small time zoo nearby, and that guy seams to be trying to breed everything, and he has plenty. I'm not saying there wouldn't be some deaths to baboon troops, but the numbers would be minimal.
Groo is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Use and Training » SHTF/Survival&Disaster Preparedness

Search tags for this page

40 cal bear shot in ohio

credere sed verificare

credere, sed verificare

doublestar 1911 for shtf

doublestar sbr paducah

shtf gf raped

what does credere, sed verificare mean

Click on a term to search for related topics.