• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Ammo Types

This is a discussion on Ammo Types within the SHTF/Survival&Disaster Preparedness forums, part of the Use and Training category; I am interseted to see what type of ammo everyone is stockpiling? Not the brand but ar you stockpiling FMJ, HP, etc?...

Old 11-18-2011, 07:17 AM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 65491
Ammo Types

I am interseted to see what type of ammo everyone is stockpiling? Not the brand but ar you stockpiling FMJ, HP, etc?
1Fighter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-18-2011, 07:37 AM   #2
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 54384
Both, HP & CRITICAL DEFENSE for carry and FMJ (cheaper) for stockpiling. On long guns whatever the rifle likes best.
saltair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:23 AM   #3
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 34520
I picked up 1k of Russian 223 soft points. It runs fine, but my gun seams to be damaging the soft points when chambering (killing accuracy), so I am thinking of trying some M855.

I stocked up on a couple of boxes of Remington core-locts for my 270. That should last me about a decade with the rate I go through it hunting.

in pistol rounds, my stockpile is all FMJs and 1 small box of SD ammo, but its not that much of a stockpile.

I've been thinking of getting a 22pistol and should be stocking up on 22lr ammo regardless, but I haven't yet. My stockpile is also devoid of 12gauge, but I don't really respect shotguns much.
Groo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:38 AM   #4
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 65307
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Fighter7 View Post
I am interseted to see what type of ammo everyone is stockpiling? Not the brand but ar you stockpiling FMJ, HP, etc?
That all depends on what you are stockpiling ammo for? Are you stockpiling it for - just in case- or are you stockpiling it for a- TEOTWAWKI - type of event? One does not preclude the other, but in a long range planning sense, you have different variables that make you lean one way or the other for $$$ reasons or space reasons!
Old 11-18-2011, 05:49 PM   #5
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 29160
Good Answers Already Given

Depends. Right now we are considering returning to the handloading-reloading hobby sooos components and powder make as much sense as complete ammo. Boxer primed reloadable ammo is what we get...the bullet type depending upon the usage and expense. Also considering going lead free to help the environment. HB of CJ (old coot)
HB of CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:16 PM   #6
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 34520
Lead comes out of the ground, guns shoot it back into the ground. Where is the environment hurt?
Groo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:29 PM   #7
XDTalk Member

Member #: 44660
I've been stashing away 9mm fmj (and the 3 mags of critical defense I keep for carry/just in case), .22lr jhp, and 12ga 00buck/assorted bird shot as I can. Which hasn't been a lot lately, but it's better than not having anything I feel.
piercedmaineguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 09:19 PM   #8
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 60402
I was wondering today as i bought a few boxes od 5.56 should i keep buying quality ammo or should i buy bulk steel cased. Quality over quantity is what ive been sorta aiming at. But today i saw a box of 50 9mm on sale for 5.99$ i could be stocking up on alot more this way. And to keep on topic fmj 45 and hollow point 9mm. For my ar i keep hollow points in 10 already loaded magazines. Then fmj boattail stocked up like crazy.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:34 PM   #9
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 60785
The bulk ammo I've been getting has all been plain FMJ. I've got several hundred JHP/SD rounds for every caliber but the bulk is the cheaper ammo. It also goes quickly. A single range trip can use up several hundred rounds if some of the family comes along. I also test the ammo with all of the mags in each weapon before I'll buy a bunch.
PistolEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:22 PM   #10
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 64206
Mostly FMJ. .22, 9mm and .45. About 2K each. HD only for 9mm.
Colt .22 1911 Rail
hamstersXDM is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Use and Training » SHTF/Survival&Disaster Preparedness

ammo

Search tags for this page
5.56 ammo for stockpiling
ammo type information

ammo types

ammo types in source
shotgun ammo stockpiling
stockpiling ammo how much and what type
teotwawki gun ammo stockpile
types of 5.56 ammo
types of ammo teotwawki

what ammo to stockpile

what kimds of shotgun shells shoulld i stockpile

what kind of ammo should i stockpile

what kind of ammo to stockpile

what type of ammo should i stockpile

what type of ammo to stockpile

which 5.56 ammo do stockpile
Click on a term to search for related topics.