• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

In-line Water Storage

This is a discussion on In-line Water Storage within the SHTF/Survival&Disaster Preparedness forums, part of the Use and Training category; I was working in the basement cleaning up the furnace room, and I noticed I have space for a tank. What I'm wondering, is there ...

Old 11-01-2011, 10:45 AM   #1
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 60785
In-line Water Storage

I was working in the basement cleaning up the furnace room, and I noticed I have space for a tank. What I'm wondering, is there any reason why I couldn't get a tank which could just be "in-line" with the normal water as a constantly cycled source of water that could be used if SHTF. I'm imagining having a valve system on it which could either bypass (in the case of contaminated water) the tank or it would be in-line to constantly cycle fresh water through it while the systems are functioning normally.

Kind of like a water heater, without the heater...

Is this a bad idea?

I've been building up a supply of water, but I'm realizing it probably doesn't last forever since I don't think water is packaged to the same level as canned goods are, so my stock will have to be rotated. Is my assumption true, or will bottled water last "forever"?
PistolEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-01-2011, 11:44 AM   #2
XDTalk 35K Member

Member #: 15886
Bottled water will not last forever ... Everything has a shelf life, and bottled water is pretty low, because it is expected to be used long before contaminants can leech through the plastic.

That's actually the biggest problem I've read about long term storage of anything, in plastic ... The worst thing to do, is store a plastic contained on cement.

Concerning your tank,
YES you could do this ... All you need is a tank that can handle city water pressure $$$.

And that will be a problem, if you don't us the right type of tank ... You really need a tank that has a pressure rating, or it might someday fail due to slow deterioration of it's integrity.
So forget the typical water storage tanks that are sold for non-pressurized use.

IMO,
Your best bet would be a water heater, and just don't hook up the heating element.
AZXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:45 AM   #3
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 62643
Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolEd View Post
I was working in the basement cleaning up the furnace room, and I noticed I have space for a tank. What I'm wondering, is there any reason why I couldn't get a tank which could just be "in-line" with the normal water as a constantly cycled source of water that could be used if SHTF. I'm imagining having a valve system on it which could either bypass (in the case of contaminated water) the tank or it would be in-line to constantly cycle fresh water through it while the systems are functioning normally.

Kind of like a water heater, without the heater...

Is this a bad idea?

I've been building up a supply of water, but I'm realizing it probably doesn't last forever since I don't think water is packaged to the same level as canned goods are, so my stock will have to be rotated. Is my assumption true, or will bottled water last "forever"?

Without any real knowledge on the topic, I'm not a big fan of the large circulating storage tank. Say some sort of bacteria should get in there and start growing, it has the potential to get every where. Personally, I like the idea of fill and store.

I've started buying 2.5 gallon jugs everytime I go to the store. Once my stock is built up, can start using the oldest container to rotate the supply out.
partdeux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:49 AM   #4
XDTalk 35K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
Without any real knowledge on the topic, I'm not a big fan of the large circulating storage tank. Say some sort of bacteria should get in there and start growing, it has the potential to get every where. Personally, I like the idea of fill and store.

I've started buying 2.5 gallon jugs everytime I go to the store. Once my stock is built up, can start using the oldest container to rotate the supply out.
The city water supply is much larger than what Ed is talking about, and the water circulates, just like it does when it comes out of the faucet, plus it has enough chlorine in it, that is unlikely to have critters growing in it, unless the city supply becomes contaminated.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:42 PM   #5
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 12586
This is why you put a lever shutoff valve on it...if the city water supply goes to poo, you can isolate that 30 gallon tank before it goes bad...thus the "stored" water will only be a few days old rather than months if stored statically

Get one of those 110v or even the 12vdc water pumps and some hose and connect to the bottom relief faucet valve...instant 30 gallon water supply...that should last a good long while

HYPRO-SHURFLO 2088-422-444 - Hypro-Shurflo #200 Shurflo Pump 2088-422-444 - RV Plus
‎"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!" - Sam Houston
"quo vadis"
AwPhuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:03 PM   #6
XDTalk 35K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwPhuch View Post
This is why you put a lever shutoff valve on it...if the city water supply goes to poo, you can isolate that 30 gallon tank before it goes bad...thus the "stored" water will only be a few days old rather than months if stored statically

Get one of those 110v or even the 12vdc water pumps and some hose and connect to the bottom relief faucet valve...instant 30 gallon water supply...that should last a good long while

HYPRO-SHURFLO 2088-422-444 - Hypro-Shurflo #200 Shurflo Pump 2088-422-444 - RV Plus
I'm not following this idea ... Can you expand what you're talking about ?

I ask because if city water pressure is available, a pump won't do anything, that can't be done via city pressure.

Help please !!
Old 11-01-2011, 03:12 PM   #7
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 47428
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwPhuch View Post

Gravity/water weight would be enough to force the water out of the bottom drain. I would think one would only need a pump if the water in the hose is to go above the level in the tank once the pressure has been equalized. This is assuming that the city water pressure is gone.

The problem with water from a tank that is to be used from the drain at the bottom is that that's also where all the sediments and whatnot collect/fall. It would have to be filtered.
cz75luver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:28 PM   #8
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 34520
There have been a few of these threads. I think semi-in-line is the best bet. By that I mean have it feed the toilet or some other appliance so it gets enough turn-over to keep fresh, but little enough that it could be isolated in case of a boil advisory before it gets contaminated.

I know if I had to drain and refill something every few months, it wouldn't get done and I'd be SOL when I needed it.
Groo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:19 PM   #9
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 55448
What happens if you plumb this in and while you're out of the house a boil order is issued.

Your back up water supply would not be safe to drink because it is in-line. You wouldn't be any better off than you would have been if you hadn't installed it.

Now if you isolated the storage tanks and didn't let them constantly circulate it would be a different story.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:51 PM   #10
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 34520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
What happens if you plumb this in and while you're out of the house a boil order is issued.

Your back up water supply would not be safe to drink because it is in-line. You wouldn't be any better off than you would have been if you hadn't installed it.

Now if you isolated the storage tanks and didn't let them constantly circulate it would be a different story.
My suggested supply would be fine until you flush a few times.

Now if you have burglars breaking in to use the toilet, you've got bigger problems than unsecured SHTF water supplies.

ps. even tainted water would be as useful as water thats been sitting in a tank for a year.
Groo is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Use and Training » SHTF/Survival&Disaster Preparedness

Search tags for this page
home inline water storage tank
in line emergency water storage

in line water storage tank

in line water storage tanks
in line water tank
in-line water storage
in-line water storage system
in-line water storage tanks
in-line water tank
inline home water storage

inline water storage

inline water storage systems

inline water storage tank

inline water storage tanks
water tank in line
? line water storage tanks
Click on a term to search for related topics.