• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

best nightstand quick access safe

This is a discussion on best nightstand quick access safe within the SHTF/Survival&Disaster Preparedness forums, part of the Use and Training category; so i'm going to have to put my bedside piece in a safe soon. i've never used safe's really and even when i did i ...

Old 10-26-2011, 03:51 PM   #1
XDTalk Member

Member #: 64713
best nightstand quick access safe

so i'm going to have to put my bedside piece in a safe soon. i've never used safe's really and even when i did i did not ever put my bedside piece in one. my wife's brother was shot by a accidental firing when he was 3 years old and is in a wheelchair for life so her perspective on gun safty is a little different then mine.

i want to know if anyone can recommend the best single gun quick access safe they have found. i've seen the biometric ones and i think that's probably what i would do as i dont like the idea of having to remember a combination if something happens. i'm of the mindset of in a reactive position you need to shave every second off of the time before identifying a need and being prepared so i dont even like the idea of a safe.

"The Gunvault GVB 1000 is made to withstand the toughest punishment and virtually impossible to break into with hand tools. It also has a blue low-level LED light inside so you can see what you’re grabbing in the dark.
Unlike a lot of the other safes, the Gunvault has an optional entry alert disable feature so you can grab your gun in silence. Gunvault is a major company that has made many Biometric Gun Safes and the GVB1000 is currently their most popular model."

that's the one i'm thinking about getting, what do you think?
XDMing is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-26-2011, 03:54 PM   #2
XDTalk Member

Member #: 44972
I have that safe on my nightstand and love it. Highly recommend it

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk
xd40Cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:19 PM   #3
XDTalk Supporter

Member #: 20418
I have that safe under my office desk and one hidden in the bedroom.
Change the batteries once a year whether they need it or not and you're good to go.

Also when setting the code, you can push 2 buttons at once for one entry.
Let's say 1 - 3 - 1 & 2 - 1..
Using a 2 button entry will make even more difficult for an accidental entry.

"Scheiße nicht gegeben"......Deer Slayer
1lowlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:22 PM   #4
JRB
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 43361
I've been looking at this one, same thing just cheaper. Has good feedback, but I haven't seem it in person.

Barska Biometric Safe:Amazon:Sports & Outdoors Barska Biometric Safe:Amazon:Sports & Outdoors
JRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 06:56 PM   #5
XDTalk Member

Member #: 7656
I'm currently looking for a nightstand safe as well...

I heard that the biometric part of the safe breaks but you can still open it with a key. Those who have the GunVault biometric safe, how long has it been successfully functionoing?
Old 10-26-2011, 08:42 PM   #6
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 43899
The only issue I have with biometric safes is the reliability of the electronics involved. One day it WILL fail, then you may be finding yourself fiddlefucking with a key at the wrong time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
Ocean82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:33 PM   #7
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 39408
FAS1 SAFE - YouTube

All will keep your kids out but few will deter a thief. Be sure and bolt it to something solid. Look at what they are made of and the weights. Also, I prefer a mechanical lock. Simple, reliable, no elec. or batteries. This one is 3/16" steel and weighs 21 lbs.
gpstak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:41 PM   #8
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 56091
Use a mechanical combo, it can be opened in pitch black just by feel, no batteries to deal with.
Just place your fingers in the right position and press the numbers one or two times each.

dan
baltimorebayside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:46 PM   #9
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 64121
I have my safe (a stand up Stack-On) mounted to the wall studs. It has a key lock and every night before bed I slip the key in the lock. In the morning I need the keys to go to work so I pull them out. Quick access to all my guns and secure from the kids.
Sea Shadow (IX 529)
M1 nuclear-napalm tank
F-35 Lightning II
USS SEAWOLF SSN575
DrewK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:03 PM   #10
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 92806
Those of you recommending the GVB 1000 appear to be taking about the model that has 4 electronic push buttons. I'm glad to know that you can use simultaneous key press combinations to decrease the chance of someone guessing the combination. The manual doesn't mention that. I will reconsider buying that version.

However, I believe that XDMing was actually inquiring about the model which replaces the 4 buttons with a single "biometric" fingerprint scanner. I haven't tried out those models. Winchester has one as well. Unfortunately, my local gun store doesn't have them set up to try. This post is fairly dated. Has anyone on this forum had extended expirence with a fingerprint safe, and can report on it?

My only experience with such fingerprint scanners is on laptop computers...and I wouldn't want to depend on them for quick access when you're in a rush. They are finicky about the exact angle and speed of your finger swipe across the camera head. I don't know if the gun safe ones are programmed to allow less precision or not. I imagine that anyone with a quick access safe should drill regularly on opening it under realistic conditions - in the dark and in a hurry (DON'T drill pulling out a loaded firearm!).
HumVee is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Use and Training » SHTF/Survival&Disaster Preparedness

Search tags for this page
best handgun safe for quick access

best handgun safe quick access

best night stand gun safe
best nightstand gun safe

best quick access gun safe

best quick access handgun safe
best quick access pistol safe
gun safe nightstand
night stand gun safe
nightstand gun case

nightstand gun safe

nightstand gun safe biometric
Click on a term to search for related topics.