• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Bear protection .40 or .45?

This is a discussion on Bear protection .40 or .45? within the SHTF/Survival&Disaster Preparedness forums, part of the Use and Training category; Odd question and I do know that these are not ideal calibers for the job. Out of a .40 or .45 what would be better ...

Old 09-19-2011, 08:48 AM   #1
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 54620
Bear protection .40 or .45?

Odd question and I do know that these are not ideal calibers for the job. Out of a .40 or .45 what would be better for black bear protection ( if needed) and fmj for penetration or a good hollow point? I know the .45 is bigger but it does not have the penetration of the .40. Ideally id rather a 44 mag pistol but that is just not in my inventory atm.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

Soil that is dirty grows the countless things. A river that is too pure contains no fish. Thus as a mature person you properly include and retain a measure of grime.
YoopermikeXDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-19-2011, 08:55 AM   #2
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 21171
I'd go with the velocity of the .40, and higher capacity. Obviously it's underpowered, but in either situation you'd be emptying the magazine and hope it scares them away.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:56 AM   #3
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 33268
I forget the maker, but have seen them @ cabelas, its a blue and yellow box, with a styro container I side for the bullets.

They might even say bear on the box.

Anyway, they have a 300gr round in .45 with some really big energy.

They should also be available in .40

I would think the heaviest fastest round you can find

Hopefully someone will chime in with better info.

Are you going to bear country?

If you are going once, for a trip, I see your point, if you are moving to bear county, save the money and get a .44 asap

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

IWB

OWB
xdmp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:01 AM   #4
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 41868
I hope it's the .45 fmj because that's what I have. I know neither is any good at range, so my plan has always been to stand my ground knowing I'm going to get hurt. Then, when it's just outside of arms length, see if I can remove it's mouth. Of course, I'm going to fire a couple of shots in it's general direction first (if there's time) to see if the noise itself does the trick.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:03 AM   #5
XDTalk 3K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdmp22 View Post

I live in the upper penn of Michigan, I was out hunting with my .22 in hand and .45 on my side, when I looked down to see a big pile of bear skat! I then questioned if my .45 would have been enough or should I have grabbed my .40 with more rnd cap and more penetration. I got a bit nervous even though the black bear around here are somewhat small and usually run away when you make some kind of noise, I still felt a bit un easy and all this was no more than 50 yds er so from my house. If I had my .44 lever gun with me I wouldn't have been as nervous but I was hunting small game and didnt want to be slinging a 2nd long gun over my shoulder.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

Soil that is dirty grows the countless things. A river that is too pure contains no fish. Thus as a mature person you properly include and retain a measure of grime.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:09 AM   #6
XDTalk 3K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matlt View Post
I'd go with the velocity of the .40, and higher capacity. Obviously it's underpowered, but in either situation you'd be emptying the magazine and hope it scares them away.
Thats what I was thinking but wasnt quite sold on the idea.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:13 AM   #7
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 33268
I am thinking its a good excuse to get a wheelgun asap....see if you can get one that shoots the same caliber as your lever gun as well as something with more boom

IWB

OWB
xdmp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:14 AM   #8
XDTalk 35K Member

Member #: 15886
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdmp22 View Post
I forget the maker, but have seen them @ cabelas, its a blue and yellow box, with a styro container I side for the bullets.

They might even say bear on the box.

Anyway, they have a 300gr round in .45 with some really big energy.

They should also be available in .40

Hopefully someone will chime in with better info.

Are you going to bear country?

If you are going once, for a trip, I see your point, if you are moving to bear county, save the money and get a .44 asap
That sounds like Buffalo Bore, and at 300 grains, it's probably for a 45 Colt
AZXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 02:11 PM   #9
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 61730
All ya need to know 'bout bears in the woods...

Visit MichaelSavage.com - Home of the Savage Nation "Borders, Language, Culture"
Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 02:17 PM   #10
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 16502
This is my anti-bear gun.

So you might want to go bigger!

US Army 2005 - 2014
Kimber Series I Compact Aluminum - My Carry

NRA Life Member
SAF Defenders Club Life Membership
AZCDL Life Membership

IN HELPDESK WE TRUST #2

"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!"

Capt. John Parker, Lexington militia
ArmyGuy45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Use and Training » SHTF/Survival&Disaster Preparedness

Search tags for this page
.40 cal bear defense
.40 or .45 acp for blackbear
.40 vs .45 for bear defense
.40 vs bear

.45 vs bear

.45 vs black bear
40 cal for bear protection
40 cal vs bear
40 s&w vs bear
40 sw vs 45 acp for bear defense
45 acp vs 40 cal bear loads
45 vs black bear
45-70 vs 45 long colt
45-70 vs 454 casull
454 casull vs 45-70
Click on a term to search for related topics.