• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Shelf life of store bought water

This is a discussion on Shelf life of store bought water within the SHTF/Survival&Disaster Preparedness forums, part of the Use and Training category; Anyone know what the shelf life is of water bottles and 1 gallon water jugs?...

Old 02-28-2011, 01:54 PM   #1
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 54384
Shelf life of store bought water

Anyone know what the shelf life is of water bottles and 1 gallon water jugs?
saltair is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-28-2011, 01:59 PM   #2
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 53827
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltair View Post
Anyone know what the shelf life is of water bottles and 1 gallon water jugs?
They have expiration dates....
Clinton1621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:08 PM   #3
XDTalk 500 Member

The expiration dates are the last day that the store has to sell them. I was just wondering how long they would still be drinkable. I know that adding 8 drops of household bleach per gallon of water will help to sterilize and make it drinkable. just curious
Old 02-28-2011, 02:09 PM   #4
Old Timer

Member #: 22547
Question

I earned a degree in Biological Sciences and completed several courses in microbiology way back when... I'm trying to figure out what would spoil inside an unopened bottle of commercially packaged bottled water? I suspect the water's "expiration dates" have more to do with satisfying corporate attorney's concerns rather than actual hazard to the consumer. But I'm always willing to learn, so if anybody can explain, I'm all ears... er, eyes.

"The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions."
- Daniel Webster, statesman and senator (1782-1852)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
"Enlightened statesmen will not always be at the helm."
- James Madison, Federalist No. 10
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
"Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic."
- Unknown

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
NRA Life Member 153120629
jmichna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:21 PM   #5
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 38391
Go to StillTasty: Your Ultimate Shelf Life Guide - Save Money, Eat Better, Help The Environment for shelf life attributes of various food and beverage items.

For bottled water, How Long to Keep / Best Way to Store Water, Commercially Bottled; Unopened | StillTasty.com
Gigantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:21 PM   #6
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 16502
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmichna View Post
I earned a degree in Biological Sciences and completed several courses in microbiology way back when... I'm trying to figure out what would spoil inside an unopened bottle of commercially packaged bottled water? I suspect the water's "expiration dates" have more to do with satisfying corporate attorney's concerns rather than actual hazard to the consumer. But I'm always willing to learn, so if anybody can explain, I'm all ears... er, eyes.
Im thinking the same thing. As long as it stored right it should last a very long time!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

US Army 2005 - 2014
Kimber Series I Compact Aluminum - My Carry
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

NRA Life Member
SAF Defenders Club Life Membership
AZCDL Life Membership

IN HELPDESK WE TRUST #2

"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!"

Capt. John Parker, Lexington militia
ArmyGuy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:27 PM   #7
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 11567
I remember reading something a while back claiming that the bacteria count in some bottled waters was actually a good bit higher than the chlorinated water coming out of the tap from a municipal source, but I'm not sure how that translates into long-term storage safety.

Another thing I've always wondered is if compounds from the plastic bottles leach into the water over time, and if that could have a cumulative effect on your health.
Fifty million new Americans have died in abortions since 1973. Where were their rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness? Why do we turn a blind eye toward--or worse, cheer on--a holocaust within our own land? Please, choose life for your baby.

"I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." --Jesus, John 14:6 (ESV)

Proud member of the AKM operator's club.
DanTheEldest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:32 PM   #8
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 23108
My feeling is that it is not a "you will die from this if you drink it after" date.
Its got to be a method of rotating and replacing stock and "protecting yourself from frivolous lawsuit" date for the retailer.
KenW. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:33 PM   #9
XDTalk 500 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTheEldest View Post
I remember reading something a while back claiming that the bacteria count in some bottled waters was actually a good bit higher than the chlorinated water coming out of the tap from a municipal source, but I'm not sure how that translates into long-term storage safety.

Another thing I've always wondered is if compounds from the plastic bottles leach into the water over time, and if that could have a cumulative effect on your health.
I'm thinking the same coming from plastic containers but is it any worse coming from a mouthfull of swimming pool water with all of the added chemicals?
Old 02-28-2011, 03:12 PM   #10
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 53827
Think of it like a fish tank, bacteria will eventually grow in the water because it isnt a very airtight seal... how unsafe it is, I dont know, but you could simply boil it and it would be fine.
Clinton1621 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Use and Training » SHTF/Survival&Disaster Preparedness

Search tags for this page
5 gallon jug shelf life
expiration date of a gallon of bottled water

how long does store bought water last

how long is 5 gallon bottled water good for
how long is the shelf life on a gallon of water

how long will a sealed gallon of water last

how long will store bought water be good
how long will store bought water last
how long will store bought water last?
life guard water jugs
shelf life of 1 gallon plastic jugs of water
shelf life of a gallon of water
shelf life of gallon water
shelf life of plastic gal of water
shelf life of store bought water
what the shelf life on a 5 gallon water
Click on a term to search for related topics.