• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Eberlestock Versus Mystery Ranch

This is a discussion on Eberlestock Versus Mystery Ranch within the SHTF/Survival&Disaster Preparedness forums, part of the Use and Training category; I am in a quandry. I see the pros and cons of both packs. Eberlestock: Pros: It is designed to carry firearms. The pockets are ...

Old 09-19-2010, 06:45 PM   #1
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 25552
Eberlestock Versus Mystery Ranch

I am in a quandry. I see the pros and cons of both packs.

Eberlestock:

Pros: It is designed to carry firearms. The pockets are easily accessible while wearing the pack.

Cons: Small cubic inch storage compared to expedition class packs. Lack of a frame.

Mystery Ranch:

Pros: A NICE frame system to be easier on the back. A lot of cubic inch storage space for expedition class packs.

Cons: It doesn't appear to be made to carry firearms with ease, or access the pack while carrying it.

So, I am in a quandry. Mystery Ranch is more expensive, Eberlestock is cheaper. However, I am needing to be a walking storehouse for four people, so storage is an issue.

When going on an expedition length journey with a wife and two kids, the bulk of the weight will be on me. The ammount of weight that can be carried diminishes exponentially on down from the wife to the next child to the next child.

So, I am interested in opinions, experiences with either or both packs. Thanks.
But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed. All we like sheep have gone astray, we have turned every one to his own way; and the Lord has laid on him the iniquity of us all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

KingArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-19-2010, 07:44 PM   #2
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 46422
Have you looked at the Spikes duffles that can be added to an Eberlestock pack to increase the capacity?

Spike Camp Duffel

SuperSpike Duffel
Mudinyeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:45 PM   #3
XDTalk 5K Member

Eberlestock Skycrane II

This one is expandable with the add on you mentioned to over 8000 cubic inches, which beats out the biggest Mystery Ranch model. Though, the only thing I am curious about, without a frame, what it will do my back after miles and miles of hiking? That would be my only concern, other than that it looks like Eberlestock is taking the lead for storage space and weapon capability.
But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed. All we like sheep have gone astray, we have turned every one to his own way; and the Lord has laid on him the iniquity of us all.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

Old 09-19-2010, 09:57 PM   #4
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 40436
I carried a Mystery Ranch with over 160 lbs in it (the modified ALICE version with yolk). It sucked but a lot less than a regular ruck with padded straps. The variable positions allow you to shift the weight. So even if you aren't carrying 100+ lbs it will always be comfortable. That being said...I really feel like they are overpriced and for what you might be doing a little much, but know that if you buy one you are getting a real quality piece of equipment.
JC27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:46 PM   #5
XDTalk 5K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC27 View Post
I carried a Mystery Ranch with over 160 lbs in it (the modified ALICE version with yolk). It sucked but a lot less than a regular ruck with padded straps. The variable positions allow you to shift the weight. So even if you aren't carrying 100+ lbs it will always be comfortable. That being said...I really feel like they are overpriced and for what you might be doing a little much, but know that if you buy one you are getting a real quality piece of equipment.
Yeah, I am looking to go heavy, with long term camping gear/firearm/ammo for extended periods. I need something that will take the weight, endure, and not tear me up in the process. The main fascination I had with MR was the NICE system appeared that it would be easier on my back being the family pack mule.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:54 PM   #6
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 29285
Have you checked out Kirafu? All the guys I talk to at Zombie Squad absolutely LOVE their Kirafu packs. Maybe you can find something in between those two?
Red82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:28 PM   #7
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 31069
I personally own the Gunslinger II and with a heavy load, it is quite comfortable. The amount of padding on the back as well as the breath-ability of the bag on your back [doesn't get hot] makes it excellent IMHO. As far as the cubic inches goes - it depends on which particular one you want to get. The range in internal sizes. The terminator for example is pretty large. I threw an AK-47 in my pack to practice the draw, and its ease. There is a small learning curve but after about 10 min it becomes 2nd nature. If your on along trek I think the padding and the fact that it will not get hot will serve you well. Another thing is there is molle all over the darn thing - you can attach virtually anything that you want to it.

- Emergency Food Storage Solutions and Tactical Gear
Neo31rex31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:43 PM   #8
XDTalk 5K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red82 View Post
Have you checked out Kirafu? All the guys I talk to at Zombie Squad absolutely LOVE their Kirafu packs. Maybe you can find something in between those two?
I didn't really like their packs that much, but I was intrigued by their tipi w/stove that weighs just a bit more than my 3 season Eureka tent. The concept of a couple pound collapsable stove for winter was really cool.

Old 09-22-2010, 05:46 PM   #9
XDTalk 5K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo31rex31 View Post
I personally own the Gunslinger II and with a heavy load, it is quite comfortable. The amount of padding on the back as well as the breath-ability of the bag on your back [doesn't get hot] makes it excellent IMHO. As far as the cubic inches goes - it depends on which particular one you want to get. The range in internal sizes. The terminator for example is pretty large. I threw an AK-47 in my pack to practice the draw, and its ease. There is a small learning curve but after about 10 min it becomes 2nd nature. If your on along trek I think the padding and the fact that it will not get hot will serve you well. Another thing is there is molle all over the darn thing - you can attach virtually anything that you want to it.
I was thinking of a Skycrane II with a Super Spike to get it up there in storage. I am working on my strength and endurance. In about 6 months I hope to be ready for a 100lb load I can do 10 miles a day in. But, I may look you up come tax return time for a pack for me and my wife. Of course, hers will naturally be a smaller pack.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:43 PM   #10
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 15847
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingArthur View Post
I didn't really like their packs that much, but I was intrigued by their tipi w/stove that weighs just a bit more than my 3 season Eureka tent. The concept of a couple pound collapsable stove for winter was really cool.
It is... I own several Kifaru packs, the supertarp, and a 6man... well its on order, I will be overseas for a few months by the time it get is, but Ill make use of it immediately after returning. The supertarp is a great little tent. I was debating the supertarp or the paratipi, but went the route of the supertarp for several reasons, flexibility in setup configuration, stove location, weight savings due to no poles or door in the summer and a few other reasons. Not disappointed one bit, thinking about looking into their sleeping bags soon.

This is first setup, seam sealing, and stove burn. It is quite a bit longer than my old golite hex, which is still a great tent but somenights I would wake with a wet head or foot section due to it touching the wall all night. I still keep it in the cars bag. The supertarp cost about 2-3 fold (depending on options) what the golite cost, but the tarp also weights 1/3 the weight (shelter body only, stove makes it about a draw).

As for the packs, I was eyeing a eberlestock after their warehouse fire, for the prices they were selling them at, it was hard to beat. Last hunt I found I could use a voodoo tactical shotgun scabbard on the ZXR or my EMR molle grid to hold a 1895 45-70 just fine. Pretty sweet little combo for my uses. I am sure you will be happy with either choice you make.
spoolup is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Use and Training » SHTF/Survival&Disaster Preparedness

Search tags for this page
cheapest eberlestock
eberlestock or mystery ranch
eberlestock packs
eberlestock shtf
eberlestock vs

eberlestock vs kifaru

eberlestock vs kifaru vs mystery ranch
eberlestock vs maxpedition

eberlestock vs mystery ranch

eberlestock vs. mystery ranch
forum eberlestock or mystery ranch?
kifaru vs eberlestock
kifaru vs mystery ranch

mystery ranch vs eberlestock

winter tarp shelter
Click on a term to search for related topics.