• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

How long will bottled water be safe to drink?

This is a discussion on How long will bottled water be safe to drink? within the SHTF/Survival&Disaster Preparedness forums, part of the Use and Training category; How long can you store bottled water and still have it be safe to drink?...

Old 09-03-2010, 09:55 AM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 40941
How long will bottled water be safe to drink?

How long can you store bottled water and still have it be safe to drink?
Motodeficient is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-03-2010, 10:02 AM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 39184
i noticed yesterday at the grocery that gallon jugs of water expired 2 years after bottling.
84jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:04 AM   #3
Ox1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 48174
Not sure on your first question but I have heard it's bad to re-use the bottles due to something with the plastic.
Ox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:44 AM   #4
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 47330
Just keep the bottles away from a direct light source (ESPECIALLY sun light) and it's basically good forever. Reason it can go bad, is if the bottles are heated or hit by light, it can release poisons from the plastic into the water. If this is for a SHTF water supply, also consider water purifying tablets or filters.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:15 AM   #5
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 41454
The stores have expiration dates because they basically have to have them on any consumable product they sell. It's like margarine, it has a date. It's only artificially flavored whipped oils so as long as it's kept cold enough to prevent separation it shouldn't expire.

To my way of thinking eggs don't need refrigeration. They aren't refrigerated when they come out of a chickens @$$. All the salmonella and other problems from eggs are on the outside of the shell. Which is why some chef's will wash their eggs when they get them, and you never crack an egg on the bowl you are adding it to, because small shell pieces can fall in. (I do none of this of course.)

I have heard about the bottle thing. That's why everyone is making a big deal about the "BPA Free" bottles.

Firearms: None. All were lost in an unfortunate boating accident on Tempe Townlake.

XDTalk Member Distribution Map

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

Instructions on adding yourself are in post #497

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
texan_eagle_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:59 AM   #6
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 35632
If I recall there were issues with some real cheap bottled water, the plastic breaking down after years. But I agree that it should last a long, long time if kept out of sunlight. Even though we have a well, and spring water, I keep a few cases down in the basement on a shelf away from any sunlight or heat..
Old 09-11-2010, 03:15 PM   #7
XDTalk 35K Member

Member #: 15886
My understanding is that as long as there are no contaminants (pathogens and such) storage life will be very long, depending on the container.

If the wrong thing is in the container ... It's gonna go bad.

Purchased water, was stripped of these bad things, and the containers were sterilized, before the water was introduced into the container and sealed ... If you're preparing your own, stored water ... Be very careful ... It's equal to home-canned food.

That's why there is a slap test you can preform n canned water ... If you know what to listen for, you can tell if the container is still sealed.

Concerning storage ... Contaminants grow under the right conditions ... Heat & light.

If it's a big concern, get a gravity powered purifier, and don't worry about storage conditions.

I've listed 2 Purifier recommendations here - Water storage
AZXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 04:23 PM   #8
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 34520
Plastic will "contaminate" the water to some degree no matter what, and it will build up to the point were it tastes bad. I cant imagine it ever going "bad" to the point of killing you, unless there is a microbe that is eating the plastic inside. water is not an energy source, so for anything deadly to grow much beyond its initial level of contamination, it would need light or food.
Groo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:32 PM   #9
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 38362
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesw View Post
Just keep the bottles away from a direct light source (ESPECIALLY sun light) and it's basically good forever. Reason it can go bad, is if the bottles are heated or hit by light, it can release poisons from the plastic into the water. If this is for a SHTF water supply, also consider water purifying tablets or filters.

You do know about the method of changing unsafe water into potable drinking water used in 3rd world nations? The one where they fill clear plastic bottles and set them out in the sun for a day so the UV light will kill the bacteria?

The "releasing poisons from the plastic" is liberal progressive tabloid pseudo-science. About the only way the plastic is going to kill you is if you eat it and the sharp edges cut your guts up.

Tactical black cat - sleeps in doorways

A right unused become a privilege for the ruling class.

john_bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:37 AM   #10
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 16572
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_bud View Post
You do know about the method of changing unsafe water into potable drinking water used in 3rd world nations? The one where they fill clear plastic bottles and set them out in the sun for a day so the UV light will kill the bacteria?

The "releasing poisons from the plastic" is liberal progressive tabloid pseudo-science. About the only way the plastic is going to kill you is if you eat it and the sharp edges cut your guts up.
Yes exactly! IMHO ... All the hand wringing about plastic bottles is pretty much unwarranted. Then again, isn't most liberal paranoia?

Radio Relay is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Use and Training » SHTF/Survival&Disaster Preparedness

Search tags for this page
can bottled water go bad in heat
do water bottles go bad in heat
how long are small bottles of water good & safe to drink
how long can bottled water keep
how long can i store bottled water

how long does bottled water keep

how long does bottled water stay safe to drink

how long is bottled water good for
how long is bottled water ok to drink

how long is bottled water safe

how long is bottled water safe to drink

how long is bottled water safe to store
how long will bottled water keep
how long will bottled water stay drinkable
how long will bottled water store
Click on a term to search for related topics.