• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

colemen fuel

This is a discussion on colemen fuel within the SHTF/Survival&Disaster Preparedness forums, part of the Use and Training category; Is there a difference between coleman fuel and kerosene?Also what would the shelf life of coleman fuel be?...

Old 05-11-2010, 03:31 PM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 45209
Question colemen fuel

Is there a difference between coleman fuel and kerosene?Also what would the shelf life of coleman fuel be?

Thomas Jefferson, in a 1787 letter to William Stephens Smith, wrote, "What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."

No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government ~ Thomas Jefferson
rry.
operator742 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-11-2010, 07:48 PM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 43487
I have had cans rust in a garage in Florida (never got wet) and leak out on me after 5 or 6 years.

EDC companions: Kershaw Shallot, Kershaw Salvo, Leatherman Wave and Fenix LD-20

HD: Remington 870 Express 12 Ga 18.5" w/Knoxx Special Ops Stock and Red Dot Sights
Hunting + SHTF: Stoeger P-350 12 Ga 20"+26" Max Camo and Red Dot Sights - SKS 7.62 x 39
smokiesguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:58 PM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 42601
I believe Coleman, or 'white gas' is very similar to unleaded fuel. Much lower flash-point than kerosene. You would need a little research to figure out if you can substitute unleaded for Coleman . . .

As far as shelf life for coleman fuel goes . . .

Cheers!

John
JT's XD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:24 AM   #4
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 6063
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT's XD View Post
I believe Coleman, or 'white gas' is very similar to unleaded fuel. Much lower flash-point than kerosene. You would need a little research to figure out if you can substitute unleaded for Coleman . . .

As far as shelf life for coleman fuel goes . . .

Cheers!

John

You are correct. White gas IS very close to unleaded fuel. In fact several Coleman products run on either fuel.
Two_XD's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 04:02 PM   #5
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 34944
Coleman fuel (white gas) is similar to unleaded gasoline but much cleaner. If you take unleaded gas and filter it through several layers of coffee filters and then re-filter it a couple more times, it will be clean enough to use in anything that takes Coleman fuel.

Kerosene is a completely different type of fuel. It is oily and probably closer to diesel fuel. Anything oily is going to burn at a low temp. (yellow/orange). White gas on the other hand burns much hotter (blue/white) and is cleaner, producing less soot and gunk to clog the tiny orifices of stoves.

I don't know the shelf life of kerosene but I do know I have used Coleman fuel that was ancient and did not have any problems. Keep the tin can off the garage floor where it can condensate and it won't rust. My dad had a can rust on him once and he poured the fuel into a couple of one litter glass Coke bottles and screwed the caps on. They haven't made one litter glass bottles in at least 25 years, so this fuel has to be at least that old. It is still good.
RichJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:53 AM   #6
XDTalk 35K Member

Member #: 15886
Coleman Liquid Fuel Updated
A container of Coleman® Liquid Fuel stored in a dry area with no rapid extreme changes in temperature will remain viable for many years. Appliances used with older liquid fuel tend to be...
Date Updated: 04/24/2010

Guidlines for using unleaded gas instead of Coleman® Liquid FuelNew
Unleaded gas contains additives that are harmful to burning appliances. Coleman® Dual Fuel™ appliances and those marked with "Unleaded Fuel" have been designed to handle the additives in...

Find Answers
FWIW, I've got two of these
Exponent Multi-Fuel™ Stove
They work real good and they are small enough to pack in a SHTF BOB
Ebay has them cheap
AZXD is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Use and Training » SHTF/Survival&Disaster Preparedness

Search tags for this page

coleman fuel substitute

coleman fuel substitutes
difference between coleman fuel and kerosene
difference between kerosene and coleman camp fuel

difference between kerosene and coleman fuel

difference between red and blue coleman fuel
kerosene shelf life

shelf life of kerosene

substitute for coleman fuel
what is the d what is the difference between red and blue coleman fuelifference between coleman fuel and kerosene

what is the difference between coleman fuel and kerosene

whats the deffrence between camping fuel and kerosene
Click on a term to search for related topics.