• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Mossberg 5500 Mk II

This is a discussion on Mossberg 5500 Mk II within the Shotgun Talk forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; Today my brother gave me the family shotgun my dad left us. He used it mostly for quail hunting. The last time he used it ...

Old 03-02-2013, 11:01 PM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 86903
Mossberg 5500 Mk II

Today my brother gave me the family shotgun my dad left us. He used it mostly for quail hunting. The last time he used it he mentioned it having trouble cycling and sure enough when I got it home it doesn't seem to want to load a new cartridge when I cycle the bolt. I guess I am just going to take it into my LGS unless anyone has any suggestions. I took the barrel off and gave it a cleaning but nothing really jumped out to me as far as what could be causing it. It's my first shotgun and want to take good care of it since it was my pop's.

Also, my brother seemed to think it could hold 6 rounds but I was only able to get it to hold 2+1. I googled the original product manual which made some comment about a capacity limiter but it didn't seem to make much sense to me.

I have a few other general questions since this is my first shotty, like with shells I can use and such. Where is a good place to start my journey?
Old 03-02-2013, 11:10 PM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 77836
2+1 means you have a dowel in the magazine tube. looks like you'll just need to unscrew the magazine cap, and shake the dowel out. That's the capacity limiter that's required by most state hunting laws

From what I've seen, made in the late 80s/early 90s, 2 versions: 1 for 2 3/4" shells and 1 for 3" shells. the gun made for 3" shells has problems cycling lighter 2 3/4" target/field loads.

replaced by the 9200 after 93

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

No such thing as perfect practice, just people who give a damn about what they're doing.

Quote:
Don't mess with the Desk
XD9SC - 3000
Mossberg 500 18.5" HD / 28" VR-P Field Combo - 150
taylorjr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:12 PM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 77836
http://www.mossbergcollectors.org/5500.pdf

Page 8, under "To Remove the Plug"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

No such thing as perfect practice, just people who give a damn about what they're doing.

Quote:
Don't mess with the Desk
XD9SC - 3000
Mossberg 500 18.5" HD / 28" VR-P Field Combo - 150
taylorjr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:54 AM   #4
XDTalk 100 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorjr View Post
2+1 means you have a dowel in the magazine tube. looks like you'll just need to unscrew the magazine cap, and shake the dowel out. That's the capacity limiter that's required by most state hunting laws

From what I've seen, made in the late 80s/early 90s, 2 versions: 1 for 2 3/4" shells and 1 for 3" shells. the gun made for 3" shells has problems cycling lighter 2 3/4" target/field loads.

replaced by the 9200 after 93
I bet that's what it is, it makes total sense based on the situation. Thanks for all the info. Time to waste a day at work "learning".
Old 03-03-2013, 09:21 AM   #5
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 69549
Man it is a sweet gun. My mom took my uncle's old mk II out hunting. She loved it. I had to break it down and clean it. For one of the first weight piston drives. It was a pain for a complete break down. Once I cleaned the whole thing inside and out. I still had 2 fte. I ran 30 more rounds with out a problem. I hope you can get it back in good working order. Did you get the camo version?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."
- Larry Elder

"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his house, his possessions are safe."
- Luke 11:21 (NIV)

"No law ever prevented a crime." - Anonymous
le_butters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:58 AM   #6
XDTalk 100 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_butters View Post
Man it is a sweet gun. My mom took my uncle's old mk II out hunting. She loved it. I had to break it down and clean it. For one of the first weight piston drives. It was a pain for a complete break down. Once I cleaned the whole thing inside and out. I still had 2 fte. I ran 30 more rounds with out a problem. I hope you can get it back in good working order. Did you get the camo version?

All Black
Old 03-03-2013, 05:07 PM   #7
XDTalk 2K Member

Right on. When I took this one apart there was a wooden stick in to act as a plug in the tube. Once I took it out I can hold 5+1. With the stick it was 2+1.

"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."
- Larry Elder

Old 03-03-2013, 05:39 PM   #8
XDTalk 100 Member

Well on the plus side I got the wooden stick (capacity limiter) out. Now to figure out where all these parts go...
Old 03-03-2013, 05:50 PM   #9
XDTalk 2K Member

It was a difficult break down but the assembly is horrible. I found PDF manual and that helped some. The inertia weight and the clip was the hardest part. I left the dowel in ours so my mom can go hunting. I just wish she would let me clean all the collection lol.

- Larry Elder

Old 03-03-2013, 10:24 PM   #10
XDTalk 100 Member

I spent more than a few hours with this gun tonight. After a heavy cleaning and a thorough inspection of every part it's cycling beautifully. It was a hell of a learning experience and it was incredibly rewarding. Thanks for the help.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » Shotgun Talk

Search tags for this page

mossberg 5500

mossberg 5500 fiyat listesi
mossberg 5500 mark 2
mossberg 5500 mk 2 doesent cycle
mossberg 5500 mk ii
mossberg 5500 mk2
mossberg 5500 mk2 review
mossberg 5500 mk2 reviews
mossberg 5500 mkii
mossberg 5500 mkii manual

mossberg 5500 mkii review

mossberg 5500 mkii reviews
mossberg 5500 price

mossberg 5500 review

mossberg 5500 reviews
mossberg mk5500
Click on a term to search for related topics.