• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Thinking about a shotgun, recommendations?

This is a discussion on Thinking about a shotgun, recommendations? within the Shotgun Talk forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; I'd like something versatile, one I could put a 26 or 28" barrel on and throw a choke in and go hunting, get home, swap ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » Shotgun Talk » Thinking about a shotgun, recommendations?

Old 01-18-2013, 09:19 PM   #1
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 77836
Thinking about a shotgun, recommendations?

I'd like something versatile, one I could put a 26 or 28" barrel on and throw a choke in and go hunting, get home, swap the barrel for a 18" or 20" rifled barrel and use it for HD. I'd like some versatility as far as furniture goes, but that's not absolutely necessary. 12GA is a definite.

I've looked at Remington 870 Express, Mossberg 500, Mossberg 535, some NEF models.. Just looking for advice and recommendations. I'd like to stay under $500, Remington sells a combo at Cabela's with a 26" field and 20" rifled barrels

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

Quote:
Don't mess with the DeskŪ
taylorjr is online now   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-18-2013, 09:33 PM   #2
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 76720
I would tell you the 870 is the way to go, but that is due to the fact all I've ever (and will ever) owned is Remington shotguns.

NRA MEMBER
scott_ff65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:38 PM   #3
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 44792
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_ff65 View Post
I would tell you the 870 is the way to go, but that is due to the fact all I've ever (and will ever) owned is Remington shotguns.
I would tell you 500 is the way to go, but that is due to the fact all I've ever (and will ever)own are mossberg shotguns.

Haha

Anyways. They are both good guns. The only reason I choose the mossbergs over the Remington's is the position of the safety. It's on top where your thumb goes on the mossbergs. I feel it's better located there. Don't know why I care about that since I never use safety's anyways.
Now since I chose the mossberg in the firstPlace I have stuck with it.
billxdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:51 PM   #4
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 35478
You can't go wrong with a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 combo model. The Mossbergs will be a little less expensive.
seawolfxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:19 PM   #5
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 56814
Weird. I could have posted this same topic. My next purchase will be something along the same line.
Gealousy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:48 PM   #6
Old Timer

Member #: 6414
I would go 870. Some complain about plastic parts on the 870, and the same can be said for the mossberg. I've had a plastic safety on a 500 break, and I have had 870s with some pretty terrible fit and finish. NEITHER is perfect, but both are great guns for the price.
chupacabrachus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:53 PM   #7
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 23620
Yea you really can't go wrong with either one. I would just suggest which ever one you pick, if you get more, stay with the same brand since the safetys are in different places.
thestinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:02 PM   #8
XDTalk Member

Member #: 85064
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorjr View Post
I'd like something versatile, one I could put a 26 or 28" barrel on and throw a choke in and go hunting, get home, swap the barrel for a 18" or 20" rifled barrel and use it for HD. I'd like some versatility as far as furniture goes, but that's not absolutely necessary. 12GA is a definite.

I've looked at Remington 870 Express, Mossberg 500, Mossberg 535, some NEF models.. Just looking for advice and recommendations. I'd like to stay under $500, Remington sells a combo at Cabela's with a 26" field and 20" rifled barrels
Definitely go with 870 tried and true shotgun. I've owned one for many years and havnt had a single problem with it whatsoever. There are also more upgrades available for the 870 IMO. If it's good enough for the military it's good enough for me.
Monster87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:38 PM   #9
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 27123
I've owned both; I prefer the mossberg...but that doesn't make the 870 a bad choice.

One thing, though--you don't want a rifled barrel for HD; you want a smoothbore. Rifled barrels make an annulus (donut) pattern with buckshot.

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding it's way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge".--Isaac Asimov
Cuda66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:39 PM   #10
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 27123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster87 View Post
Definitely go with 870 tried and true shotgun. I've owned one for many years and havnt had a single problem with it whatsoever. There are also more upgrades available for the 870 IMO. If it's good enough for the military it's good enough for me.

Um--the military uses Mossberg 590's and Benelli M4's the last time I checked...

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding it's way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge".--Isaac Asimov
Cuda66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » Shotgun Talk

Search tags for this page
2013 mossberg 500 hd combo for sale
anyone use solvent trap adapter

difference between mossberg 535 and 835

how well does a mossberg 835 utili-mag shoot rifled slugs from smooth barrel
moss 500 combo
moss 730 shotgun
mossberg 50 thunder ranch for sale
mossberg 500 defense combo

mossberg 500 field security combo

mossberg 500 home defense field combo
mossberg 500 home defense/field combo
mossberg 500 thunder ranch 2012 vs 2013 12 ga tactical

mossberg 730

mossberg+535 18inch

what choke is on the mossberg 500, 20 barrel field/defense combo at cabelas

whats better the mossberg 730 or the 535

Click on a term to search for related topics.