• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Thinking about a shotgun, recommendations?

This is a discussion on Thinking about a shotgun, recommendations? within the Shotgun Talk forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; Originally Posted by Cuda66 You can shoot Foster & rifled slugs from a smoothbore barrel; however, for proper performance with sabots, you should have a ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » Shotgun Talk » Thinking about a shotgun, recommendations?

Old 01-22-2013, 01:42 PM   #21
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 77836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
You can shoot Foster & rifled slugs from a smoothbore barrel; however, for proper performance with sabots, you should have a rifled barrel.

For HD, I personally think the best sight to have is a luminous front bead...nothing to fret about while using, put the big bright dot center mass, and follow through. Next best are ghost rings, but...you can't really just throw a skeet barrel on with those, since the rear sights are receiver mounted.
Okay, so no sabots. I don't plan on going deer hunting, just maybe considering a load like the PDX-1 with a foster slug + buckshot.

The model i'm considering (870 wise) comes with XS ghost ring sights. I figure if I want to go skeet shooting, I'd slap the 26" barrel in, take off the picatinny rail where the ring is mounted (just a couple screws from what it looks like), and I've have the bead sight up front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cce1302
I have an 870 and a mossberg 835. I like the mossberg better.

Your cylinder bore choke tube will be fine for foster slugs, but I wouldn't bother buying sabot slugs unless you get a rifled barrel. They won't shoot any better than the foster slugs out of a smooth barrel (from a rifled barrel...that's a different story).

Buckshot will work with any choke tube. Your choice depends on how tight you want your pattern.
What do you like about the 835 vs the 870? The 870 is $540 at cabelas (I know I could find a better deal somewhere else, I've got a couple hundred in cabela's gift cards)

What choke would you suggest for HD use if I went with 2 3/4" 00 Buckshot?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

Quote:
Don't mess with the DeskŪ
taylorjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-22-2013, 03:13 PM   #22
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 22296
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorjr View Post
What do you like about the 835 vs the 870? The 870 is $540 at cabelas (I know I could find a better deal somewhere else, I've got a couple hundred in cabela's gift cards)

What choke would you suggest for HD use if I went with 2 3/4" 00 Buckshot?
Subjective:
It may be because I've had the 835 a lot longer (15+ years to 4) but it points better for me. its ergonomics feel better. I like the way the loading gate stays out of the way. You don't have to push it out of the way with your thumb and get your glove stuck in it (a real hassle when you're hunting & it's cold out)
Objective:
835 weighs a little less.
the 835 has the safety in the correct spot.
Mossbergs cost less

Choke tube:
I don't know if it will make much difference for the spread at HD distances, but for as close as you'll be, I'd want something that spreads the shot as early as possible, like IC. My shotguns are mainly used for hunting & sport shooting (either slugs for deer or birdshot for everything else) and only HD as a last resort, so you'll want the specific explanation from someone who has researched more with buckshot than I have. I pretty much figure whatever buckshot or slug and choke tube are in the gun will be enough to cause someone who intends to harm me or my family to reassess his current plan of action.

Note: I haven't spent much time with a Mossberg 500, which is basically the equivalent to the 870. The 835 I have is a step up from that, but is still a utility shotgun.

Cost: MSRP for the basic 500 with synthetic stock and ventrib barrel: $389. additional barrels generally cost less than Remington barrels as well.

Federal weapon statutes:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
cce1302 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:16 PM   #23
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 69067
Go with either a 500 or an 870, can't go wrong with either
Old 01-22-2013, 07:10 PM   #24
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 77836
I think what I'd like is a shotgun that starts as a tactical/HD shotgun, that I can convert to skeet/hunting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cce1302
Subjective:
It may be because I've had the 835 a lot longer (15+ years to 4) but it points better for me. its ergonomics feel better. I like the way the loading gate stays out of the way. You don't have to push it out of the way with your thumb and get your glove stuck in it (a real hassle when you're hunting & it's cold out)
Objective:
835 weighs a little less.
the 835 has the safety in the correct spot.
Mossbergs cost less

Choke tube:
I don't know if it will make much difference for the spread at HD distances, but for as close as you'll be, I'd want something that spreads the shot as early as possible, like IC. My shotguns are mainly used for hunting & sport shooting (either slugs for deer or birdshot for everything else) and only HD as a last resort, so you'll want the specific explanation from someone who has researched more with buckshot than I have. I pretty much figure whatever buckshot or slug and choke tube are in the gun will be enough to cause someone who intends to harm me or my family to reassess his current plan of action.

Note: I haven't spent much time with a Mossberg 500, which is basically the equivalent to the 870. The 835 I have is a step up from that, but is still a utility shotgun.

Cost: MSRP for the basic 500 with synthetic stock and ventrib barrel: $389. additional barrels generally cost less than Remington barrels as well.
Haha, the old safety argument. I don't care either way, I really don't mind the safety of the 870, I would put in a big/speed safety though.

I'm looking at Mossberg tactical shotguns... I could get the tactical/field combo for $450. I guess my question is: Is the 500 really just as reliable as the 870?

I know at some point soon, I will go to cabela's and handle both to work through the ergonomics.

If I went with 870, I'd have this... Total : $830

870 Express Tactical - $540
26" VR barrel - $190
Misc furniture - $200

Mossy... total $750

500 HD/Field combo - $450
Sights - $100
Misc furniture - $200

So Mossy is the value shotty?

Quote:
Don't mess with the DeskŪ
taylorjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:49 PM   #25
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 42406
Is the 500 just as reliable? Yes Absolutely. The 500 will take thousands of rounds. The most notable issue with them is the extractors and springs wear out after many thousands of rounds. They are cheap and very easily replaced. I just did it to one of my 500's. If you want to mod the gun the 870 wins out slightly. Although much less than it did even 5 years ago. Lots has come out for the 500 the past couple of years.

I own mossbergs by happenstance but now prefer them, specifically for the slide release. I don't care for the tang safety, I would prefer the 870 safety. I got one 500 on trade and the other for 50 bucks. My Winchester 12 though is perfect. Perfect safety and perfect slide release.

FWIW check out the pawn shops. 500's can be had for 100 bucks and 870's for 100-150. If you're just going to mod it go that route. Every single part is available and easily replaced on these guns so if they do have a problem you can fix them very easily.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:48 AM   #26
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 67172
Check you math above, your Remington is $930 compared to Mossberg at $750. Might make all the difference.

XDm 3.8 compact .9mm
XDm 3.8 compact .45acp (because size matters)
Hopp Leather holster
rvickery2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:35 AM   #27
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 84966
Personally, I prefer the Benelli Nova shotguns. I have a super nova tactical w/ ghost ring sights for my shotgun.

But.... that's not really the "budget" alternative. I admit it. But boy, is it a nice shotgun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvickery2 View Post
Check you math above, your Remington is $930 compared to Mossberg at $750. Might make all the difference.
Exactly. Mossberg is the cheaper alternative, regardless of how you go about doing it (just a dedicated "tactical"/defensive shotgun, combo, etc)

All of them will serve you well, it's just a matter of what you prefer and what priorities exist.
MidwestDefenseInstitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:37 AM   #28
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 27123
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorjr View Post
I think what I'd like is a shotgun that starts as a tactical/HD shotgun, that I can convert to skeet/hunting.

Haha, the old safety argument. I don't care either way, I really don't mind the safety of the 870, I would put in a big/speed safety though.

I'm looking at Mossberg tactical shotguns... I could get the tactical/field combo for $450. I guess my question is: Is the 500 really just as reliable as the 870?

I know at some point soon, I will go to cabela's and handle both to work through the ergonomics.

If I went with 870, I'd have this... Total : $830

870 Express Tactical - $540
26" VR barrel - $190
Misc furniture - $200

Mossy... total $750

500 HD/Field combo - $450
Sights - $100
Misc furniture - $200

So Mossy is the value shotty?
The 500 is just as, if not more (in my experience) reliable as an 870.

It's definitely the better value.

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding it's way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge".--Isaac Asimov
Cuda66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:23 AM   #29
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 86933
Another vote 870. I know it is sturdy, but the Mossberg action and bolt feel sloppy to me, and the location of the safety is good for left handed shooters, but righties who want a pistol grip (w/ stock) can no longer manipulate it without removing their firing hand.

I might steer you towards a semi like an 11-87, but if you go 870 try and get an older Wingmaster they are, IMO, built much better. Hell if you want to save money look at NEF Pardner Pumps. 870 clones made in China by Norinco (think Mak-90, SKS..nice guns) then imported by Marlin. Mine took a beating of birdshot, slugs, and buckshot without a hiccup, they can be had new sub $200.
AS90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:41 AM   #30
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 18005
I'd opt for the Mossberg combo.

My 500 is 18 years old and seen A LOT of rounds through it....if I had to guess I'd wager probably between 6-7k.

The only issue, which after a lot of abuse, that you'd encounter would be a safety rebuild. You can buy a rebuild kit for less than 30 bucks and do it yourself in about 10 minutes.

The only perk the 870 has is the ability to use magazine extensions.
DevJames is online now   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » Shotgun Talk

Search tags for this page
2013 mossberg 500 hd combo for sale
anyone use solvent trap adapter

difference between mossberg 535 and 835

how well does a mossberg 835 utili-mag shoot rifled slugs from smooth barrel
moss 500 combo
moss 730 shotgun
mossberg 50 thunder ranch for sale
mossberg 500 defense combo

mossberg 500 field security combo

mossberg 500 home defense field combo
mossberg 500 home defense/field combo
mossberg 500 thunder ranch 2012 vs 2013 12 ga tactical

mossberg 730

mossberg+535 18inch

what choke is on the mossberg 500, 20 barrel field/defense combo at cabelas

whats better the mossberg 730 or the 535

Click on a term to search for related topics.