• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Ghost ring vs. red dot sights

This is a discussion on Ghost ring vs. red dot sights within the Shotgun Talk forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; Which do you prefer for HD? I'm thinking Mossberg factory ghost rings vs a TruGlo red dot. Both are same price. Thanks....

Old 10-30-2012, 07:12 PM   #1
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 45898
Ghost ring vs. red dot sights

Which do you prefer for HD? I'm thinking Mossberg factory ghost rings vs a TruGlo red dot. Both are same price. Thanks.

"There are millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period." - Ted Nugent

"And now," Jesus said, "take your money and a traveler's bag. And if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." - Luke 22:36
GhostDog70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-30-2012, 08:11 PM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 71054
Many swear by Ghost Rings, because they have no battery to die right when you need it.

Springfield XD40sc. Springer Trigger Kit and Aluminium indicator guide, PRP titanium striker safety and cocked indicator.

Mossberg 500A. Sightmark Reflex sight

μολoν λαβέ
Black69ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:17 PM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 71054
I have a Red Dot. for my Mossberg.

Springfield XD40sc. Springer Trigger Kit and Aluminium indicator guide, PRP titanium striker safety and cocked indicator.

Mossberg 500A. Sightmark Reflex sight

μολoν λαβέ
Black69ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:43 PM   #4
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 65226
My 930spx with ghost rings , no battery

I had a Mossberg 500 for 20 years ( still do )
For shotguns I prefer open , ghost ring , or any non-optic

Not to be an optic snob , but nice ghost rings will prove much better over the long haul than a tru gLO dot

Get ghost rings , practice , you will be surprised how intuitive they are

It all started for me with a daisy Red Ryder BB gun - not kidding a bit

2012 Ron Paul lets have some real change ...

Take somebody shooting -I like to infect other people with my disease
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
RedRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:49 PM   #5
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 27123
I wouldn't run with a TruGlo...but I played with a Benelli M4 wearing aTrijicon Reflex, and could see that being one slick setup for HD.

An Aimpoint with its long battery life would also make a good HD shotgun optic.

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding it's way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge".--Isaac Asimov
Cuda66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:16 PM   #6
XDTalk 1K Member

I've been leaning towards the ghost rings, mainly because I've used them before and never used a red dot. After a bit of research I've discovered that the Mossberg factory ghost ring front sight requires "brazing" unless you want to epoxy or JB-Weld it on. Foolish me, I thought they might just screw into the existing drilled and tapped holes. I'm not sure, but I'd assume brazing is the type of thing that requires a gunsmith. I've seen photos of them JB-Welded on and it looks like crap, plus there's no guarantee it would be glued in the exact spot it needed to be.

"There are millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period." - Ted Nugent

"And now," Jesus said, "take your money and a traveler's bag. And if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." - Luke 22:36
Old 10-31-2012, 09:57 PM   #7
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 18902
I've taken a number of shotgun courses using my shotguns setup with a ghost ring sight and a red dot (actually it was an EOTech).

In my opinion, there is no comparison. The red dot, at least for me, was faster to get on target, easier to transition from target to target, and much better for taking longer shots with slugs (we shot offhand out to 200 yds). A good EOTech is a bit better than a typical red dot. The reticle is good for anything ranging from close contact out to however far you can shoot. Not all red dots provide that given the dot size....and some fade in bright sunlight....you get what you pay for.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

arizona98tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:35 AM   #8
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 65226
Ghost dog - what shotgun of Mossberg requires brazing ?
That would scare most people too

It all started for me with a daisy Red Ryder BB gun - not kidding a bit

2012 Ron Paul lets have some real change ...

Take somebody shooting -I like to infect other people with my disease
RedRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:53 AM   #9
XDTalk 1K Member

That's just what I've seen in other forums when doing research on ghost ring sights. I would like to use the Mossberg factory ghost rings, but for some reason there's no way to mount the front sight without brazing or using some kind of adhesive. Now, that's just what I've read on the net, but I haven't seen anything written that says otherwise. This is the only reason I've considered a red dot. 'd love an EOTech, but that costs more than my shotgun. I'm not dead set on the TruGlo, but there's a big leap between the so-so sights and the outstanding sights. I'm not cheap, just poor, lol.

Ghost Ring Sight Kit 12 Gauge Fits Mossberg 500 & 590 Parkerized

Old 11-01-2012, 07:20 AM   #10
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 27123
Get a different barrel, one with a front sight post already attached.

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding it's way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge".--Isaac Asimov
Cuda66 is online now   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » Shotgun Talk

shotgun, sights

Search tags for this page
best red dot for mossberg 500
best red dot for my shotgun
best red dot sight for shotgun
best shotgun red dot sights
can i put a red dot scope on a mossberg 500 field shot gun
ghost ring
mossberg 500 ghost ring sight kit

mossberg 500 ghost ring sights

mossberg 500 red dot
mossberg 500 red dot ghost ring
mossberg 500 red dot sight
mossberg 500 shotgun red dot sights
red dot on shotgun
red dot scope for mossberg 500
red dot sight for mossberg 500
shotgun red dot
Click on a term to search for related topics.