• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Ghost ring vs. red dot sights

This is a discussion on Ghost ring vs. red dot sights within the Shotgun Talk forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; Originally Posted by Cuda66 Get a different barrel, one with a front sight post already attached. I have a 590 and have been looking at ...

Old 11-02-2012, 07:57 AM   #11
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 22972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
Get a different barrel, one with a front sight post already attached.
I have a 590 and have been looking at the ghost sites for years. The BIG problem I have is that the Moss 590/500 is a cheap down and dirty gun to begin with and throwing more and more money at it starts to get ridiculous. I paid $330 for the gun and now you want me to get a different barrel and buy the ghost ring set.

BAH! Fark dat. Get rid of the Moss and go buy a gun that has all of this stuff on it to begin with. I should have gotten rid of mine years ago or better yet never bought the thing to begin with.

For now mine has a TLR2 on it and I have it set up POI on the dot.

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves"

Shhhh! -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

NRA membership -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

State handgun laws -

Rich States / Poor States - NEW

"Nothing good ever comes from a knock at the door"
UncleBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-02-2012, 11:43 AM   #12
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 27123
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBuck View Post
I have a 590 and have been looking at the ghost sites for years. The BIG problem I have is that the Moss 590/500 is a cheap down and dirty gun to begin with and throwing more and more money at it starts to get ridiculous. I paid $330 for the gun and now you want me to get a different barrel and buy the ghost ring set.

BAH! Fark dat. Get rid of the Moss and go buy a gun that has all of this stuff on it to begin with. I should have gotten rid of mine years ago or better yet never bought the thing to begin with.

For now mine has a TLR2 on it and I have it set up POI on the dot.
Hey--The OP, not you, was looking at putting ghost rings on his shotgun, and didn't like the idea of brazing or JB welding them on. Buying a new barrel is just an option to either of those.

Personally, I'd just slap a luminous bead on (say, an XS 24/7 Big Dot) and call it good, particularly for a repel boarders shotgun...

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding it's way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge".--Isaac Asimov
Cuda66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:14 PM   #13
XDTalk 5K Member

Quote:
Hey--The OP, not you, was looking at putting ghost rings on his shotgun, and didn't like the idea of brazing or JB welding them on. Buying a new barrel is just an option to either of those.

Personally, I'd just slap a luminous bead on (say, an XS 24/7 Big Dot) and call it good, particularly for a repel boarders shotgun...
I understand. I was just expressing myself lol. I have a love hate relationship with my 590. I love the ergos, weight, function and accuracy of the smooth bore barrel for what it is. Mossberg did a crappy job in quality on the bolt and parts on the entire gun IMHO. I have polished everything and worked on it for a long long time to make it right. I had to buy a Wolff mag spring to get it to feed and it still won't cycle 3" shells reliably.

I'll never buy another one.

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves"

Shhhh! -

NRA membership -

State handgun laws -

Old 11-04-2012, 08:09 AM   #14
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 45898
A good bead in front may be the easiest thing to do. The bead sight I have right now is supposed to be a night sight, but I can't see it in the dark or the light. The only night sights I have experience with are TFOs, and I love them, but I can't seem to find a screw-in TFO sight that doesn't require extra drilling and doesn't cost as much as or more than the ghost rings/red dot. Heck, I'd go for a white bead if I could find it, although I kinda like having a rear sight to line it up with.

"There are millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period." - Ted Nugent

"And now," Jesus said, "take your money and a traveler's bag. And if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." - Luke 22:36
GhostDog70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:30 AM   #15
XDTalk 10K Member

The XS goes on with JB weld over your existing bead...if you are careful, it looks great...and it's not very hard to be careful doing it.

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding it's way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge".--Isaac Asimov
Old 11-04-2012, 11:40 AM   #16
XDTalk 5K Member

Quote:
The XS goes on with JB weld over your existing bead...if you are careful, it looks great...and it's not very hard to be careful doing it.

XS Sight Systems - Sights

Shhhh! -

NRA membership -

State handgun laws -

Old 11-04-2012, 07:30 PM   #17
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 45898
Anyone familiar with the Meprolight Tru-Dot Shotgun Front Bead Sight?

"There are millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period." - Ted Nugent

"And now," Jesus said, "take your money and a traveler's bag. And if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." - Luke 22:36
GhostDog70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:32 PM   #18
XDTalk 10K Member

Should work.

I ran with the XS when I built my Zombmaster; worked great.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:02 PM   #19
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 81845
I am waiting on my XS backup ghost ring ring sight to put on the rail of my 500. The Mossberg ghost ring sight just doesn't look sturdy.

And as its been said, you don't need to turn on a ghost ring.
cjd3 is online now   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » Shotgun Talk

shotgun, sights

Search tags for this page
best red dot for mossberg 500
best red dot for my shotgun
best red dot sight for shotgun
best shotgun red dot sights
can i put a red dot scope on a mossberg 500 field shot gun
mossberg 500 ghost ring sight
mossberg 500 ghost ring sight kit

mossberg 500 ghost ring sights

mossberg 500 red dot
mossberg 500 red dot ghost ring
mossberg 500 red dot sight
mossberg 500 shotgun red dot sights
red dot scope for mossberg 500
red dot sight for mossberg 500
red dot vs iron sights
Click on a term to search for related topics.