• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

First Shotgun, the Blackwater 590a1?

This is a discussion on First Shotgun, the Blackwater 590a1? within the Shotgun Talk forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; wattup peeps, granted I am new to all of this, ok well maybe not the internet but guns and forums for sure.. and I'm not ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » Shotgun Talk » First Shotgun, the Blackwater 590a1?

Old 08-21-2011, 10:16 PM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 62431
First Shotgun, the Blackwater 590a1?

wattup peeps,

granted I am new to all of this, ok well maybe not the internet but guns and forums for sure.. and I'm not quite yet up to par on whats a long running joke and whats dead-pan humour as real world advice, i.e. mall ninja v/s taticool, zombie slayer and all that..

anyway LONG story short, I am preparing for the coming zombiepacylapse or those crazy mayan's putting an end to our world..

i.e. in other words I'm looking for a home defense shottie..

Initially I was all set and was going for the m590a1, the 51660 version, jus plain and simple(or so I thought)

BUT now I see that theres essential an upgrade to that model in the form of the Blackwater 590a1 51772

NOW for some reason, this model of gun does NOTHING but spark hatred and rants about the above mentioned items, mall ninja, and tacticool.. I have spent hours searching for honest reviews on it and I get nothing but the same backlash because of the logo on every page that even mentions it..

Maybe because I'm not with all that internet and social media stuff.. but I don't get it..

Yeah I googled the backstory on Blackwater, merc company gone bad, ect, ect..

BUT regardless, if the original 590a1 is held in such HIGH regard, wouldn't it make that much more sense for me to get the Blackwater version of it?

its basically the same price, $500, but from what I can tell, YOUR getting way more for you money, $$$$

http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossb.../New/51772.jpg

1. it now has "improved" sites, <-- jus what I read, if som1 can elaborate
2. rails, rails, rails.. right?
a. one for a scope or RDS
b. one one the side for a flashlight?
c. one on the bottom, I think..?
3. the stock has I guess what appears to be a spot for an emergency shell?

I guess what I'm essentially asking why aren't people up in arms about this gun? I mean its the proven 590a1 platform right? but with some modern upgrades..

Granted the logo is enough of a killer for most(but hey it looks like a sticker or even cheaply painted on, as in wear off soon) but is it that much of a deal breaker?

Logo drama aside, WHY wouldn't someone want this? What are its negatives.. ?

I appreciate any and all info regarding this..

school me brothers!

keep it peace

oNe

p.s. Pretty sure someone will say due to the logo jus get the original and put all the extras on it that come on the blackwater version.. but its like 1. why bother if it already comes that way 2. pretty sure doing it that way will cost way more then the $500 the blackwater vers is going for right?
Sean_Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-21-2011, 10:55 PM   #2
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 55448
Quote:
1. it now has "improved" sites, <-- jus what I read, if som1 can elaborate
2. rails, rails, rails.. right?
a. one for a scope or RDS
b. one one the side for a flashlight?
c. one on the bottom, I think..?
3. the stock has I guess what appears to be a spot for an emergency shell?
1. The sights depends on what you're used to. Those look similar to what you'd find on an AR-15. Some prefer those and some prefer a plain old brass bead.

2. Depends, I've never had rails on a fore grip so I can't say for sure but it looks awkward.
a. I don't see the point of putting a scope on a shotgun, maybe a red dot but...ehh not really my thing
b. Seems weird to mount stuff on a moving part.
c. See b.
3. That's a speed feed stock. Not a bad option to have but not a deal breaker either way.

I wouldn't buy it because I don't see the need for those options. I would be better served with the 500A1 or 590A1 20' barrel -9 shot - with a standard or speed feed stock.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:59 AM   #3
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 11014
I'm just going to upgrade a mossberg 500.

Here is my list of upgrades

1. Aluminum trigger guard/housing
2. Mesa Tactical High Tube buttstock adapter with overmold grip and magpul moe stock
3. Aimtech warhammer heat shield/top rail
4. magpul mbus sight set
5. xs tritium round front sight post

Already has a 3 rail Ergo forend on it.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:25 AM   #4
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 43658
Now all it needs is a sidefolding collapsible recoil reducing stock with built in shell holder and a spot to hold extra batteries and some bandaids for the chopping that bottom rail will do to your hand. That toprail is not long enough for a 30mm tube 50mm objective scope needed to dispatch a zombie proper.

Other than the stock and longer top rail, sure why not. Buckshot will have half the pattern size and slugs will shoot twice as flat with all that stuff on there. All very much needed for HD ranges............

kidding aside. I have seen worse. Only thing I see inane is the bottom rail on the forend. Put anything there and pumping will be difficult at best and leave it bare and them bandaids will be needed. Just keep in mind it will not perform any better than a plain jane Maverick88, but if it makes you happy dont listen to what anyone has to say about it.

A range report is required if you get it. We expect it, and you better have pics or it never happened.......
Boris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:33 AM   #5
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 27123
Yes, the logo would be a huge deal breaker for me...

Why pay extra for the dumba$$ monkeypaw mercenary logo.

Just get a straight 590 and have the same gun for less.

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding it's way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge".--Isaac Asimov
Cuda66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:46 AM   #6
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 25948
Yeah, all that stuff isn't really necessary on a shotgun, IMO, especially if it's your first one. Just get the plain ol 500A. $300 and you got a nice HD/Zombie gun (plus it has no merc logo, so the zombies won't laugh at you...)
Savage 99 EG .300 Savage
Mossberg 500A 12 ga
Egyptian Maadi MISR S/A

"At long last I have discovered that most shooters are not interested in firearms as tools, but rather as toys. Such people do not acquire their weapons because of what they will do, but rather to gratify the "Christmas morning joy" that we largely left behind in our childhood.
"

-Jeff Cooper

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
rickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:38 AM   #7
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 46422
If you regularly use words like "wattup", "peeps" and "shottie" as you did in your OP, I'd recommend the Blackwater edition.
Mudinyeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 03:29 PM   #8
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 59354
Heh, I got the blackwater 500, not because it said blackwater; I really don't care. It had the breacher barrel, and that interests me. I have a 590 as well.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:03 PM   #9
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 45543
Winchester Super X Defender 18" is $269.99 @ CDNN

Quality gun, but not many accessories, not that you necessarily need any.
jblosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:11 PM   #10
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 62431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudinyeri View Post
If you regularly use words like "wattup", "peeps" and "shottie" as you did in your OP, I'd recommend the Blackwater edition.
oh word? In that case I'll purchase 2 of them, one to use and the other to store for sale 10 years from now at 8 times the price!!

Come on college boy, next you'll be telling me gangsta rap is corrupting our children and video games lead to violence... Maybe YOUR president should ban both of those activities, WINK!!

Gentlmen, aside from college boy above, yall gave me some good advise and A LOT to to think about.. Great group of guys here, ragnar special thanks for your in depth answers my good man!!

I came into this wanting the "ultimate" shotgun and my research lead me to the 590a1..

Saw the Blackwater edition and with my limited knowledge FIGURED it was a no brainer, i.e. 590a1 platform with all these EXTRAs.. rails and the sites and at the time I thought it was nifty that the stock had a slot for an (read: 1 SINGLE SHELL ONLY) extra emergency shell.. but ragnar schooled me..

The "regular" 590a1 is going for about $450-475 WHEREAS the Blackwater 590a1 is going for $475-550..

So i was coming into this thinking, hey for an extra $50 I get the updated model with all the "extras"

BUT NOW I know better.. thanks to yall!

seems the Blackwater version REALLY is just a tacticooL ploy huh?

1. the sight ain't all its cracked up to, user preference i'm sure..
2. the rails are NOT practical?
a. some1 posted that the top 1 isn't enuff for a proper scope?
b. the side one is on moving part, didn't realize that, that can't be good
c. the bottom one i have no clue on, cept yall sayin its either akward to use or if NOT used can lead to physical harm on the hand..

interesting.. WHY the heck would they issue such an impractible version? I mean some mall ninjas might buy it right? but the overall consensus is that anyone being "real" about how and where to use this gun would stay far far away..

amazing!!

To be honest I could care less about the logo, its kinda retarded if you ask me.. oh wait forgot about college boy, I mean its kinda corny looking to me..

but yeah I WANT/NEED a 590a1

BUT there's too many got d@m choices!!! What the jibs man..

I want the 590a1, 20" 8/9 shot capacity. I want it for the heavy walled barrel..and well earned reputation of being a gun fit for survival

but is there any 590a1 experts out here that can help decipher all the different models?

I don't think i want the blackwater model because of what seems to be impractical rail real estate locations, i.e. on moving parts..

BUT once explained what that stock was, I love and want a speedstock, figure you already carrying the stock why NOT keep an emergency 4 in there..

I will not have any funds available for a very long time after the shottie purchase, but I was thinking of at least mounting a FLASHLIGHT on there at some point in the future..

primary purpose of this gun will be a HD/zombie slayer weapon

There you have it gents

any help in deciphering and breaking down the myriad options mossberg gives me would be appreciated..

1. 590 51663 $456 <-- this is the civiliar version of what essentially turns out 2 be a 590a1 since it does have the hvy walled barrel

2. 590a1 51660 $460 <-- i think this is the one i want, original 590a1 plain and simple right?

3. 590a1 51668 $500 <-- not sure on this one.. mossbert site shows it with speedfeed stock, but no one sells it as such..

So there you have it gents, help me understand what the basics are and differences between these 3?

wikipedia says the 51663 is the civilian version of the 590a1 but that doesn't make sense to me since essentially any civilian can buy any of the 590a1's as they are not restricted.. but yeah, not sure what the big difference is between the 51660 and the 51668 versions..

I want one of those 3 for HD and would like to have a speedfeed stock and flashlight sometime in the far, far future..

let me have it gents!

school me!

well after proofreading my post I think in posting it I learned my answers, but in case that I am wrong plus wanna hear from more experienced users I will post the post..

that and I just spent an HOUR writing it all up.. sheesh!

oNe

p.s. i googled but didn't get a real answer, how much would the speedfeed stock cost? how much would the flashlight run me? makes and models?
Sean_Price is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » Shotgun Talk

Search tags for this page

590a1 blackwater

590a1 blackwater for sale
590a1 blackwater review
590a1 blackwater series
590a1 blackwater series review
mossberg 500a1 blackwater
mossberg 51772 reviews
mossberg 590 blackwater review

mossberg 590a1 blackwater

mossberg 590a1 blackwater for sale

mossberg 590a1 blackwater price

mossberg 590a1 blackwater review

mossberg 590a1 blackwater series for sale
mossberg 590a1 review
mossberg blackwater review
Click on a term to search for related topics.