• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Winchester SXP Defender Shotgun

This is a discussion on Winchester SXP Defender Shotgun within the Shotgun Talk forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; Originally Posted by stevieachi Jtx I think I read somewhere that since it's made in Turkey they limit the mag tube to the 5 for ...

Old 03-19-2011, 12:49 PM   #21
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 53960
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieachi View Post
Jtx I think I read somewhere that since it's made in Turkey they limit the mag tube to the 5 for import purposes. I might be confusing it with all the other junk I've been reading but I think it either has the dimples that would have to be grounded off or something with the quick cap system they have on the end of that tube makes it a little more complicated to extend. I'm sure if you put your mind and wallet into it though it can be done. Looks nice!
Thanks for the info. I went on Winchester's site and in the FAQ someone had addressed the question about extensions and W's reply was they can't offer extensions for imports because it's illegal. I'll probably just leave it stock.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:08 PM   #22
XDTalk 100 Member

Took the sxp to the range today after work. This is a great pump shotgun. I've been shooting 870s for years. The sxp is definitely quicker to cycle. I shot a variety of loads from birdshot to buckshot to slugs. I even shot some defense loads with a slug and 3 00 buck pellets per round. The 3 inch slug shells are brutal to shoot, but all the 2 3/4 shells are manageable. I was putting slugs on paper easily at 25 yards. #4 buck at 7-10 yards is devastating no doubt. Good zombie gun I guess.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:51 PM   #23
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 22287
Congrats. I am glad you like it. I knew you would. The controls (safety and action release) are the most intuitive of any shotgun. The action, rotating speed bolt, and takedown simplicity are aces. The SXP the best home defense shotgun nobody knows about. I shoot 2-3/4" birdshot for high volume practice and 2-3/4" buckshot for fun and home defense. Since it is a relatively light weight shotgun (alloy receiver), it does have some kick with powerful loads, but the soft recoil pad helps tame it a bit.
Wild Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:53 PM   #24
XDTalk Supporter

Member #: 20418
I've still got my eye on one of those, mainly because the way the controls are set up..
I like it..

"Scheiße nicht gegeben"......Deer Slayer
1lowlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:12 AM   #25
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 22287
As far as a mag tube extension, there are two inner dimples inside the muzzle end of the mag tube which retain the mag spring retainer. With the gun unaltered, you can unscrew the mag cap to remove the barrel and the retainer will keep the spring from flying out. These dimples would interfere with additional rounds and would have to be drilled out or ground down for an extension to work. This means the spring and spring retainer would fly out during take down. Then you would have to find an extension with the right threading. A two round extension would probably stick out past the muzzle (not good). The mag tube is a solid one-piece thick aluminum alloy tube that is highly resistant to dents and rust. You could argue that since the mag tube is one piece and set back from the muzzle, that it is less vulnerable to damage with rough handling or accidental dropping. 5+1 capacity and a shell carrier should be plenty.
Wild Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 04:51 PM   #26
XDTalk 100 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Rice View Post
As far as a mag tube extension, there are two inner dimples inside the muzzle end of the mag tube which retain the mag spring retainer. With the gun unaltered, you can unscrew the mag cap to remove the barrel and the retainer will keep the spring from flying out. These dimples would interfere with additional rounds and would have to be drilled out or ground down for an extension to work. This means the spring and spring retainer would fly out during take down. Then you would have to find an extension with the right threading. A two round extension would probably stick out past the muzzle (not good). The mag tube is a solid one-piece thick aluminum alloy tube that is highly resistant to dents and rust. You could argue that since the mag tube is one piece and set back from the muzzle, that it is less vulnerable to damage with rough handling or accidental dropping. 5+1 capacity and a shell carrier should be plenty.
I've come to the conclusion that 5+1 is plenty for home defense purpose. I ordered a Laserlyte Tri-Rail for shotgun so I can mount a light and perhaps a cup holder for refreshments.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:49 PM   #27
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 27123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Rice View Post
Why not good? I wouldn't want a mag extension sticking several inches past the muzzle, but a +2 or +3 extension would only extend past it an inch...it's not going to get in the way of anything.

And on the subject of damage...the tube extending past the muzzle could prevent your muzzle from being damaged in the event of a drop; the end of the mag tube may get dented (no harm done), but your muzzle would be undamaged.

As for the spring coming out...I fail to see a problem. be mindful when you remove the tube, and it won't go flying anywhere.

And, if this is purely based off of a Winchester, any old 1300 extension should work...unless the Turks buggered up the thread design, that is.

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding it's way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge".--Isaac Asimov
Cuda66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:42 AM   #28
XDTalk 100 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
Why not good? I wouldn't want a mag extension sticking several inches past the muzzle, but a +2 or +3 extension would only extend past it an inch...it's not going to get in the way of anything.

And on the subject of damage...the tube extending past the muzzle could prevent your muzzle from being damaged in the event of a drop; the end of the mag tube may get dented (no harm done), but your muzzle would be undamaged.

As for the spring coming out...I fail to see a problem. be mindful when you remove the tube, and it won't go flying anywhere.

And, if this is purely based off of a Winchester, any old 1300 extension should work...unless the Turks buggered up the thread design, that is.
A LGS has 1300 tube extensions in stock. I guess I could go in with the gun and see if it's a match for length and threads. I've always thought the more the merrier, within reason of course. I appreciate everyone's input. Great forum, XDtalk!
Old 03-31-2011, 10:09 PM   #29
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 56252
Additional Barrels

I just won the Winchester Defender 12 ga and am wondering if anyone knows where I can pick up an additional 26"-28" barrel for skeet shooting/birds?
mortymay5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:27 PM   #30
XDTalk 100 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortymay5 View Post
I just won the Winchester Defender 12 ga and am wondering if anyone knows where I can pick up an additional 26"-28" barrel for skeet shooting/birds?
Outstanding! Congrats on the new gun. When you find out where to get one let me know. I just put a call in to Winchester parts and service number I got from their website. Of course, they're closed. Have you shot the SXP yet? I really like mine.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » Shotgun Talk

Search tags for this page
are winchester 1300 and sxp barrels interchangeable
how far will an sxp shoot
how to remove speed plug on a sxp defender
sxp extreme defender accessories
will a winchester sxp 512293291 shoot 2 3/4 and 3 shell
winchester defender shotgun magazine extension

winchester super x defender

winchester sxp accessories

winchester sxp camp field combo
winchester sxp changeable barrels

winchester sxp defender

winchester sxp defender accessories

winchester sxp defender reviews
winchester sxp defender tube extension
winchester sxp extreme defender magazine extender
winchester sxp magazine extension
Click on a term to search for related topics.