• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Springfield XDs range report - vison problem!

This is a discussion on Springfield XDs range report - vison problem! within the SA-XD/XD(M) Range Reports forums, part of the Information category; Soooooo... I got my XDs a few weeks ago, but only got to the range last Tuesday for a 120-round trial. I experienced NO FTF, ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Information » SA-XD/XD(M) Range Reports » Springfield XDs range report - vison problem!

Old 09-20-2012, 07:07 PM   #1
XDTalk Member

Member #: 78822
Springfield XDs range report - vison problem!

Soooooo... I got my XDs a few weeks ago, but only got to the range last Tuesday for a 120-round trial.
I experienced NO FTF, no stovepipes, no failure to return to battery, no failure to lock on an empty mag... nuthin'. The gun worked flawlessly.
The empties flew everywhere though. The XDs really launches them! Most went FORWARD off the wall of the range booth, so I left a fai amount of reloading stock on the range floor! Sniff...

Is there a tool or fixture to manage the flight of the ejecta from a semi-auto to make brass recovery easier?

In general, the XDs is a barrel 'o' whuppin' in a very pocket-able vehicle. I guess if I can't hit a BG in 5 shots or less I mas as well run away.
The gun handles well - in spite of my somewhat larger and meatier hands. I can only get 2 fingers on the grip. But, if I paid attention to what I was doing, the groups were acceptable for me and my current skill level. I shot at 7 and 15 yards, and got what I hoped for the first time out.

Now to the vision problem - I need some advice.

I'm left-eye dominant.
I shoot left-handed.
I got cataract surgery on both eyes a month or two back. Both lenses are torics, so vision is very clear with no perceptible distortion.
My left eye is corrected for distance, my right eye for reading.
I'll occasionally wear reading glasses to augment my left eye if my right eye can't handle some finer print.

So, to shooting.
When shooting my XDs or my XD45C, the sights are really fuzzy as you might expect with left-eye dominant southpaw.

I'm shooting with both eyes open.

So, for a mag or two, I shot left-handed, but moved my stance and head to aim with my RIGHT eye. The sights were sharp and easily aligned.
Of interest, the groups were distinctly TIGHTER with the sights in focus and the target more fuzzy. It may not make a huge difference, but it was noticeable.

The question.
I believe my opthamologist can offer some corrective tools like bifocals, contacts (which I've worn for years anyway), etc.

But, what do shooters do to handle the oddities of cataract surgery, clear sight pictures and clear sights?
smokiniron is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-20-2012, 08:40 PM   #2
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 44190
Guess what? Thanks to your current eyeball setup, you're now cross-eye dominant. Do it the way you just did and stick with it. Congrats on the new pistol, sounds like a hoot.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Information » SA-XD/XD(M) Range Reports

range, reloading, springfield, vision, xds

Search tags for this page
sprigfield xds
sprinfield xds
springfeild xds
springfield xd s
springfield xd-s
springfield xdc

springfield xds

springfield xds forum
springfield xds issues
springfield xds problems
springfield xds range report
springfiled xds
springfirld xds
xds flew out of hand
xds range
xds springfield
Click on a term to search for related topics.