• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

XDs vs Glock 36 comparison and 1st XDs range trip

This is a discussion on XDs vs Glock 36 comparison and 1st XDs range trip within the SA-XD/XD(M) Range Reports forums, part of the Information category; Well, here is the promised mini-range report & Glock 36 comparison. Range Report First off, here are the targets. I fired 50 trouble free rounds, ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Information » SA-XD/XD(M) Range Reports » XDs vs Glock 36 comparison and 1st XDs range trip

Old 07-30-2012, 11:57 PM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 7853
XDs vs Glock 36 comparison and 1st XDs range trip

Well, here is the promised mini-range report & Glock 36 comparison.

Range Report

First off, here are the targets. I fired 50 trouble free rounds, all I had time for I am afraid during lunch.* They were 230 gr Remington range ammo, so nothing special. This was just kind of an initial function test and a bit of trigger familiarization.

These are the two best targets. Not too bad for the first time firing the gun. It took some time but after a lot of range trips I can shoot the G36 very well. I must say I did not shoot it this well after only 50 rounds though. I am probably just more used to this type of pistol now.

Glock 36 Comparison

You can see from this side comparison that the G36 is larger. It is certainly longer and taller.

This view from the rear shows the more slender nature of the XDs. Yes, My G36 has factory night sights.

This slide-top view shows that the slide seems a bit thinner.

Here are the magazines. The side view seems pretty close in size, especially if the G36 had a flush fitting magazine. However this view from the fronts of the magazines REALLY shows off the huge difference in magazines. I have always been critical of the thickness of the G36 magazine. I know Glock likes plastic, but look at how much thinner a metal magazine can be. Granted, the G36 magazine has several metal inserts, but it could have been thinner if made of metal. I guess this shows the progress of a few years of magazine design.

Initial Impressions

So far I really like the XDs. I bought it because of the added safety of having a grip safety and the smaller size. It has functioned perfectly, but with only 50 rounds it is too early to tell. My G36 has been perfect and probably has nearly 1,000 rounds through it, so the standard has been set. I really do like the smaller size, but you do loose 1 round unless you opt for the optional larger magazines.

The smaller dimensions make the XDs a lot easier to carry and conceal. It is not a tiny mouse gun though, so do not think you are getting something the size of a Ruger LCP. I think this is about as small as a .45 ACP pistol can get and still retain any durability and usability.

Neither the XDs or G36 are range toys. Both are smallish and a bit challenging to shoot. Both seem capable of similar combat accuracy.

So, bottom line - has the XDs replaced my G36 for CCW duty? Not yet… but it looks very promising.
RioGrande481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-31-2012, 08:47 AM   #2
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 39520
Nice report, thanks for taking the time and the nice pics.
Detonics Mark VI .45 Stainless
SW 686 .357
Ruger .45 Long Colt 8"
Colt .38 Detective Special
coachrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:03 AM   #3
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 49858
Nice write up, good pics. No doubt that the G36 is bigger, but is amazing that it is 1oz. lighter. Can you get 3 fingers on the stock G36? Am sure the 7 round extended mag. facilitates that too on the XDS

Would definitely say that that the XDS conceals much easier. Seems to be impressive to say the least. Can hardly wait for the 9mm release. The Mrs. needs a single stack that's ambi. It would fit like a glove.

"So...they say you have a monster? A curse upon this land?? I am ripper, tearer, slasher, gouger. I am the teeth in the darkness, the challenge in the night. Mine is strength, and lust and power. I am Beowulf!"- Anglo-Saxon Nowell Codex

μολὼν λαβέ
N.E. Tx.XD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:17 PM   #4
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 74079
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.E. Tx.XD View Post
Nice write up, good pics. No doubt that the G36 is bigger, but is amazing that it is 1oz. lighter. Can you get 3 fingers on the stock G36? Am sure the 7 round extended mag. facilitates that too on the XDS

Would definitely say that that the XDS conceals much easier. Seems to be impressive to say the least. Can hardly wait for the 9mm release. The Mrs. needs a single stack that's ambi. It would fit like a glove.
I don't think the flock is lighter. Glocks list there pistols weight empty with no mag and Springfield list theirs empty with an empty mag
inanebignate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:26 PM   #5
XDTalk 1K Member

Thanks I have been waiting to see size comparisons of the 2 my edc for the past couple years has been a glock 36 it's a really good size carry gun the plus zero pearce grip extentions on the mag does wonders. I got a xdm 45 compact and was suprised that the mags were just barely thicker than the glock mags. I have not carried it much but it does not seem that much harder to carry than the glock. I am thinking I will eventually get a xds but I hear a good bit of problems with them and I definitely would wanna wait till the price goes down.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:54 PM   #6
XDTalk Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.E. Tx.XD View Post

I have a postal scale, so I will weigh both guns and post the numbers.

I can get 4 fingers on the G36. I only use standard magazines. I have a pierce grip/baseplate but did not find it helped me shoot better. Some complain about the mag/grip of the G36 pinching them, this has not bothered me once I developed my grip when firing the gun.

The XDs is a 3 finger gun... I will seriously look at the 7 round mags. But for right now it is time to just go and shoot the thing!
Old 07-31-2012, 05:28 PM   #7
XDTalk 1K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioGrande481 View Post
I have a postal scale, so I will weigh both guns and post the numbers.

I can get 3 1/2 fingers on the G36. I only use standard magazines. I have a pierce grip/baseplate but did not find it helped me shoot better. Some complain about the mag/grip of the G36 pinching them, this has not bothered me once I developed my grip when firing the gun.

The XDs is a 3 finger gun... I will seriously look at the 7 round mags. But for right now it is time to just go and shoot the thing!
I found the grip with the pearce to be a big improvement for both cosmetic and shooting purposes. Anyway how is the recoil between the 2?
Old 07-31-2012, 07:20 PM   #8
XDTalk Newbie

Well, here are the weights using my postal scale:

XDs: Pistol = 19.5 oz. Magagzine = 2.2 oz. Total = 21.7 oz. Fully loaded (5+1) = 25.5 oz

Glock 36: Pistol = 20.4 oz. Magazine = 2.3 oz. Total = 22.7 oz. Fully Loaded (6+1) = 27.2 oz.

This is with both gun and magazine unloaded. The loaded weight is with standard magazine capacity plus one in the chamber, so 6 rounds for the XDs and 7 rounds for the Glock 36. This is with Corbon DPX 185 grain ammo loaded.

So, unloaded and without magazine the Glock 36 weighs .9 ounce more and fully loaded weighs 1.7 ounces more.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:26 PM   #9
XDTalk Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by inanebignate View Post
I found the grip with the pearce to be a big improvement for both cosmetic and shooting purposes. Anyway how is the recoil between the 2?
I want to get a 6 round mag for the XDs before I answer this. Stock I can get 4 fingers on the Glock 36 when held right. I can only get three fingers on the XDs no matter how I hold it.

Right now I would say the recoil is more brisk with the XDs, but being able to hold it with a 4 finger grip might well cure this. I would bet given the slightly smaller weight of the XDs the two pistols would feel pretty close if both were gripped with 4 fingers.

I like your question... Another excuse to hit the range is always welcome!
Old 07-31-2012, 07:32 PM   #10
XDTalk Member

Member #: 70576
Thanks for the report

Thanks for the report and comparison. I just picked up a bitone XDs today, actually found a local shop where I live that had one in stock . It's an early birthday present to myself, and that's the justification I told my girlfriend LOL. Unfortunately, I have to hit the books hard tonight or I'd be at the range right about now . The other one is a 4.5 9mm XDm and I was lucky enough to spend some time with a XDs at the range a few weeks back.
Attached Thumbnails
XDs vs Glock 36 comparison and 1st XDs range trip-xdsxdm.jpg  
Chikara is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Information » SA-XD/XD(M) Range Reports

comparison, g36, glock 36, range report, xds

Search tags for this page
g36 vs xds
g36 vs xds 45 acp
glock 36 or xds
glock 36 vs springfield xds 45

glock 36 vs xds

glock 36 vs xds 45
springfield armory xds 45 vs glock 36
springfield xds 45 vs glock 36
xds 45 vs glock 36
xds 45 vs glock 36 for 2014
xds vs glock

xds vs glock 36

Click on a term to search for related topics.