• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Took my daughter out to the range

This is a discussion on Took my daughter out to the range within the SA-XD/XD(M) Range Reports forums, part of the Information category; I took my 12 year old daughter to the range with me for the first time today. She's expressed some curiosity about my XD for ...

Old 02-18-2012, 10:22 PM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 66327
Took my daughter out to the range

I took my 12 year old daughter to the range with me for the first time today. She's expressed some curiosity about my XD for the last few weeks and I figured she should see where her dad disappears off to on the weekends.

I gave her a good safety briefing on the way there and she has a very good appreciation for firearms. We got to the private range I belong to and there was one other guy there with his .38 revolver and his P22. We set up at 15 yards and I did my standard warm up of a full mag into an 8" paper plate. Immediately my daughter got a smile on her face and the other guy came over to ask what I was shooting. My daughter chimed in and said 9mm. I couldn't have been a happier dad.

I've been talking to her about some self defense drills and she wanted to help out, so we put up 5 plates and numbered them 1-5. She called out numbers for me to practice target acquisition and put me under a little stress. It worked great!

I didn't let her get to fire just yet, but I'm thinking next time I might let her behind the trigger to get a feel for it. Great father/daughter bonding time for sure. I strongly encourage all you dads out there to have a "take your daughter to the range" day
Remove Ads
Old 02-18-2012, 10:26 PM   #2
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 66064
Congrats man sounds like you all had a great time. I take my boys 7-1/2 & 13 all the time, once a week when weather permits at an outdoor range. Have fun & be safe!
richeyo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:29 PM   #3
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 64083
I cannot wait to take my daughter I only have a few years to wait. She is only 7 months old tomorrow.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:36 PM   #4
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 42665
Great! I've let my daughter (10) shoot a .22 rifle and .22 semi-auto pistol. She was on the paper her very first shot and got a bullseye on her second at 25 yards. She's a natural. Soon I'll let her fire the new AR. I'm not sure she's ready for full size handguns yet. Pretty close.
Ruger P-90 .45 ACP
Ruger LC9 9mm (Primary Carry Gun)
Ruger LCP .380 ACP
Ruger Old Model Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum
Beretta U22 Neos .22LR
Smith & Wesson Model 10 .38 Special
Windham Weaponry M4 Carbine 5.56 NATO
...and a few others

Don't Californicate Colorado
Gulftanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:14 PM   #5
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 16039
Range time with your children is a wonderful thing for sure.

However, I am mildly disappointed that you didn't let her shoot. Especially with such an empty range....

I would bet she will be a very good shot, too. We will expect a full range report from the young lady and her punched out bullseye target the next time.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:24 PM   #6
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 61701
Yup should've let her shoot at least a 22. If you have one. I get ur apprehension. She's ur baby girl. Trying to teach my 7 year old to shoot but not really that into it yet. My 10 year old son loves it. He plinks at 3 and 2 inch steel plates at about 15 or so yards. Hitting bout 7 out of 10 shots. Awesome

Angry Panda Poon RAAAWR!
petyweestraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:31 PM   #7
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 43432
my girl is 5, and not at all ready to go to a range yet. She shows no interest in firearms yet, and definitely doesn't have the concentration for it yet. Am hoping that will change as she gets older. We'll hope for the best.

Glad you had a good day with your daughter.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:14 PM   #8
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 60655
I'd get her shootin' sooner rather than later, especially if she's really excited to do it. Since it sound's like you'll just be using the XD9, only put 1 round in at first. Don't want her accidentally bump-firing it by accident. Several times I have had the newbie shoot with only one round, and come to find out it's not cocked anymore. Obviously would have been a bump-fire and dangerous situation if it would have been a full mag.

XD40 Service

-Hogue Handall grip sleeve
-Nebo Protec Elite light/laser
-TruGlo TFO night sights

Olympic Arms K16-SST
-16" stainless bull-barrel
-Quad-rail forearm
-Millet SP2 red-dot scope
-Fore grip w/ bi-pod
-Nebo Protec Elite flashlight

KelTec P11
-Bone stock; Not much you can do to these little guys.

Last edited by HighFlyingA380; 02-20-2012 at 01:15 PM. Reason: spelling error
HighFlyingA380 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Information » SA-XD/XD(M) Range Reports

Search tags for this page

take your daughter to the range day

Click on a term to search for related topics.