• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

First time shooting a semi auto

This is a discussion on First time shooting a semi auto within the SA-XD/XD(M) Range Reports forums, part of the Information category; So thanks to all of the great advice here and lots of trips to gun shops I finally bought my first handgun (XDm 9mm 4.5") ...

Old 01-25-2012, 08:30 PM   #1
JCT
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 64260
First time shooting a semi auto

So thanks to all of the great advice here and lots of trips to gun shops I finally bought my first handgun (XDm 9mm 4.5") and took it to the range. I had never shot a semi auto before, and the last time I held a handgun was 30 years ago -- and that was a revolver. My husband didn't think I would go through with this...

My eyesight is not stellar and lucky me I am right-handed and left-eye dominant.

Here are the results from my first two trips!

Week 1:

First 30 rounds at 15 feet: OK, I was totally hooked by the end of the 2nd magazine.

After 100 rounds, the last 30 or so at 21 and then 30 feet. Overall I was pretty pleased for my first time. But I clearly had the classic "low and to the left" thing going. So I sent pics of my targets to a Marine friend for advice. He suggested some dry firing drills and more attention to trigger control. So I practiced during the week and headed back to the range with another 100 rds and some snap caps mixed into my magazines.

Week 2:

My practice paid off a bit -- this was after ~ 30 rounds at 15 feet. Not rapid firing, but concentrating. All of a sudden the rangemaster came up and asked me if I was "bored" shooting through the same holes and drew me some new targets .

Moved the target back to 21 and then 30 feet. Obviously need some serious practice, but overall I am encouraged and most importantly, had a really great time. The last 10 shots were rapid and "aimed" at the top target .

Already warned my husband that the ammo bill is about to go up and after another 1000 rounds or so will start thinking about my next pistol.. hmmm, maybe that new XDS .45ACP

Thanks to all for all of the help and encouragement!

Last edited by JCT; 01-26-2012 at 08:12 AM.
JCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-25-2012, 08:33 PM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 65586
wow HORRIBLE GROUPING.. nah i'm just kidding. good job. nice groups
I ask for strength
Strength of body to protect others And strength of spirit to lead others...
I ask for dedication
Dedication to my job, to do it well Dedication to my community To keep it safe...
Give me Lord, concern For others who trust me
And compassion for those who need me...
And please Lord Through it all Be at my side...
BigMoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:33 PM   #3
Old Timer

Member #: 42730
Congrats on the new gun and great shootin there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
chameleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:25 PM   #4
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 14738
Great .. you'll just get better with practice ... am sure you are glad you took the plunge

Welcome to the forum
"[I]f the citizens neglect their duty and place unprincipled men in office, the government will soon be corrupted. ... If a republican government fails to secure public prosperity and happiness, it must be because the citizens neglect the Divine commands, and elect bad men to make and administer the laws." --Noah Webster
GerryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:38 PM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 66951
Welcome from Texas. Shouldn't be too hard to convince the husband to buy more ammo!
Hake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:42 PM   #6
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 49858
Congratulations! Looks to "qualify" to me.

"So...they say you have a monster? A curse upon this land?? I am ripper, tearer, slasher, gouger. I am the teeth in the darkness, the challenge in the night. Mine is strength, and lust and power. I am Beowulf!"- Anglo-Saxon Nowell Codex

μολὼν λαβέ
N.E. Tx.XD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:11 PM   #7
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 38362
Looks like the week 1 and week 2 pictures are doubled up some how -- either that or you intentionally shot the 2nd week exactly like the first week! Wow! Talk about good!

Tactical black cat - sleeps in doorways

A right unused become a privilege for the ruling class.

john_bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:19 AM   #8
JCT
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 64260
Hah, good eye john_bud -- that's what I get for setting up the post from a cramped airplane seat! And here I was all happy to obliterate the "X" the second time out. Fixed!

Thanks for the encouragement, guys -- I was pretty nervous the first time I went, had planned on waiting for Ladies Night at the range, but couldn't get off work. So I just dove in.

Was actually shocked at how much fun it was (not that I didn't think you guys knew what you were talking about ) -- and the XDm was so easy to shoot. NOW I understand the "gun is better than I am" comments.

I'll be curious to see my guy's reaction to the climbing ammo bills (OK, 9mm is cheaper than shoes!) -- he actually has never shot a handgun. I moved to AZ before he did....
JCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:59 PM   #9
XDTalk Member

Member #: 68503
Week two target has no center "X" left that is pretty good shooting!
drp1371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:10 PM   #10
XDTalk 80K Member

Member #: 14053
Good shooting!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Information » SA-XD/XD(M) Range Reports

Search tags for this page

advice for shooting semi automatic

auto range by first one ????????????

bored shooting xd

shooting semi-automatic pistol first time

what is a good first time shooter semi-auto hanggun

Click on a term to search for related topics.