• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

First XD40 range day

This is a discussion on First XD40 range day within the SA-XD/XD(M) Range Reports forums, part of the Information category; Hey all, been poking around on the site for a month or so now doing research for a new pistol and decided on the xd40 ...

Old 01-24-2012, 12:57 AM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 67768
First XD40 range day

Hey all,
been poking around on the site for a month or so now doing research for a new pistol and decided on the xd40 4". Been a long time shooter but this is my first larger caliber pistol. First pistol was a sig .22. Most of my shooting has been with riffles. Anywho, I decided on the XD40 for all around play and soon to be carry gun. And so far i am very pleased with it. Put about 150 rounds through it with the Blazer aluminum case ammo. Only had one feed issue and I think it was because of the round. Tried it a few more times and that one round just wouldnt feed. But it ran smooth and fun to shoot. Took a little getting used to the trigger but it shouldnt be a problem. Here are a couple pics of the targets. shot mostly between 15-20 yards.
Attached Thumbnails
First XD40 range day-20120121_191219.jpg   First XD40 range day-20120121_193706.jpg  
speedjunkie44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-24-2012, 01:32 AM   #2
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 68548
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedjunkie44 View Post
Hey all,
been poking around on the site for a month or so now doing research for a new pistol and decided on the xd40 4". Been a long time shooter but this is my first larger caliber pistol. First pistol was a sig .22. Most of my shooting has been with riffles. Anywho, I decided on the XD40 for all around play and soon to be carry gun. And so far i am very pleased with it. Put about 150 rounds through it with the Blazer aluminum case ammo. Only had one feed issue and I think it was because of the round. Tried it a few more times and that one round just wouldnt feed. But it ran smooth and fun to shoot. Took a little getting used to the trigger but it shouldnt be a problem. Here are a couple pics of the targets. shot mostly between 15-20 yards.
I use my XD40 Tactical (5" barrel) as my HD gun with a green laser that fits the gun just perfect! I love shooting it and it's dead on accurate at 50 yards, that's about my max without getting sloppy. Great choice and I think the misfeed was a fluke and maybe just needs a few more rounds through it if it's new. I've pumped about 1k rounds of various types and I'm proud to say not one mis-fire! It's just a great piece, IMO!!

Last edited by XDfantastic; 01-24-2012 at 01:33 AM. Reason: correction
XDfantastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:59 AM   #3
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 38362
Welcome.

Your shot patterns show good trigger control, but might be a bit too quick with it. The spread down would probably tighten up if you moved the finger a wee bit slower. Other that that -- awesome job!

Tactical black cat - sleeps in doorways

A right unused become a privilege for the ruling class.

john_bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:02 AM   #4
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 67965
Congrats on the new xd 40. Nice shooting
XDSPACECADET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:12 PM   #5
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 67768
thanks guys. And I think you might be exactly right John. I take it you have shot once or twice lol. Gonna try to take it out a couple more times before my training and qualification with it this weekend
speedjunkie44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:14 AM   #6
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 38362
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedjunkie44 View Post
thanks guys. And I think you might be exactly right John. I take it you have shot once or twice lol. Gonna try to take it out a couple more times before my training and qualification with it this weekend

Yeah.... maybe twice... for sure once!

A second thing that may help is to hold the trigger back after firing and only after you are back on target allow your finger to relax slightly until you feel the "Click!" of the reset. Then it's just a whisker away from firing again. Less trigger motion = less opportunity to pull it down. You can get the feel for it by dry firing. Rack and move the trigger to fire --- hold it --- slowly relax your finger until you feel / hear the click of the reset.

You should have no problem at al qual'ing with the group you showed. I would make sure to bring quality ammo and clean the gun and especially the striker channel BEFORE going! Even just a hose out with gun scrubber or brake cleaner in the square hole and firing pin hole would probably do it. But I'm old school (and old) and think that taking the striker out and using a q-tip is still the best.

shoot straight!

Tactical black cat - sleeps in doorways

A right unused become a privilege for the ruling class.

john_bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:07 PM   #7
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 68665
Good job! I just shot mine for the first time last night. I really like the XD. Shoots really smooth and comfortable. I didn't want to leave the range...lol
Kalderis10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Information » SA-XD/XD(M) Range Reports

Search tags for this page
aluminum ammunition in xd pistol
any problems with xd 40 tactical pistol?
best ammo to use in a xd 40 tactical 5

blazer aluminum ok for xd40

califorbia xd 40 4
gun scrubber on xd40
how long it's been out is a xd 40

tactical use of xd 40

xd 40
xd 40 at the range
xd 40 fire alluminum case

xd 40 kb

xd 40 range

xd 40 tactical

xd 40 tactical old vs new

xd40 kb
Click on a term to search for related topics.