• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

First time shooting

This is a discussion on First time shooting within the SA-XD/XD(M) Range Reports forums, part of the Information category; I have shot guns before, when I was younger. I am 29 now. The first time I shot a pistol it was a 9mm and ...

Old 04-09-2011, 11:26 AM   #1
XDTalk Member

Member #: 56665
First time shooting

I have shot guns before, when I was younger. I am 29 now. The first time I shot a pistol it was a 9mm and it was about 9 years ago in the woods and only a few rounds. I have also shot shotguns when I was in high school. But today I will shoot at least 50 rounds through an SR9c and I am very excited because this will be the first time I ever took it seriously. (I know what that sounds like, that I was careless in the past and I assure you, I was not careless, just didn't know what to do really.) I was wondering if anyone can offer some advice on my outing today? It will be in a field not at a range. I will be with the owner of the gun and he is experienced. Any advice is welcome.
DudemanDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-09-2011, 11:57 AM   #2
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 49152
Treat the gun better than the owner does.
Always point the muzzle in a safe direction.
Treat the gun as if it is loaded at all times.
Go to the store and buy another 100 rounds.

See the classroom section for actual shooting tips.

All my guns were stolen from my moms house by snow ninjas.

"My belief is that they were planning to hijack the coveted Mortal Kombat game unit." SPECOPs to Gecko45
Tornadic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 12:02 PM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 39634
Yes, buy more rounds. Especially since 9 is so much cheaper than other calibers. I would even buy two of the Winchester white boxes (for another two hundred round) and just TAKE YOUR TIME. It feels great to dump a full mag in seconds. But your best experience and learning curve will be had if you take your time to get your sights lined up and feel each shot. Take your time. Have fun.

Last edited by DannyXBOX; 04-09-2011 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Wring Post
DannyXBOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 02:38 PM   #4
XDTalk Member

I plan to take my time with most shots fired. I want to learn the feel of shooting. I know it will vary for each different gun. Thanks. How much do the Winchesters run a box? I picked up some Independence for $12.99. Wanted to buy American for the first time ever purchasing ammo. It was more symbolic than anything else.

"Those who are critical at heart are just dreamers who forgot to dream." -- Napoleon Hill, (I think so, anyways)
Old 04-09-2011, 03:02 PM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 52957
Keep your finger away from the trigger until the gun is pointed down range and you are ready to fire. I went to the range yesterday with someone who kept putting his finger on the trigger while loading a fresh magazine. I asked him if he could stop doing that but he wouldn't listen. Don't thing I'll be going with him again.
91 Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 03:09 PM   #6
Old Timer

Member #: 42730
Keep your booger hook off the bang button!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
chameleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 04:43 PM   #7
XDTalk Member

Well, I took my time. I should have bought more rounds but the guy called and I had to meet him right away if I wanted to shoot. I had decent groupings from 5-7 meters away. I shot a few cans and also some steel targets. I also unloaded 14 of 16 rounds into the cardboard box the ammo came in. I can get used to this. It felt GREAT to fire a gun.

"Those who are critical at heart are just dreamers who forgot to dream." -- Napoleon Hill, (I think so, anyways)
Old 04-09-2011, 04:46 PM   #8
XDTalk Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91 Whiskey View Post
Keep your finger away from the trigger until the gun is pointed down range and you are ready to fire. I went to the range yesterday with someone who kept putting his finger on the trigger while loading a fresh magazine. I asked him if he could stop doing that but he wouldn't listen. Don't thing I'll be going with him again.
I also have never taken a class, but I did use the greatest amount of common sense. I am a fast learner and I just don't want to take any chances. So, I exhibited a lot of caution today. That guy you went with wasn't too bright.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:01 PM   #9
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 55163
Very similar situation here. 28, new to handguns (shot rifles sparingly in my youth). I think the thing that helped me with actual shooting is I picked up a couple higher velocity pellet rifles about a year ago and shoot in my basement range between 100 - 500 pellets a week. Cool, calm, breath control, trigger pull. Patience.

I always hear/read people say "Treat every gun as if it's loaded." I go one step further. I "[T]reat every gun as if it's loaded, and the trigger will pull itself at any inopportune moment." This scare factor keeps me very focused whenever I handle a gun. Not paranoid or scared, just focused.

It's a little late for your specific outing but another thing I go out of my way to do, whether handling a gun or in an area where a gun is being handled, especially at a public range: make slow(ish), deliberate movements.
I always visualize the diner scene from Pulp Fiction. What's Fonzie like? Cool? That's what we're gonna be. We're gonna be cool.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:57 PM   #10
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 53246
The Winchester box of 100 can cost $29. Remington UMC can cost 59 bucks for 250 rounds at Gander Mountain. They just had a sale where a box of 250 cost 49 bucks with rebate. I now have 1150 rounds of emergency ammo squirreled away in addition to the ammo in my range case.

Take advantage of any sale you come across! If you are the really patient type, you can get a somewhat better deal from people who sponsor on this site.

RJ
Glock 30
johnson0317 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Information » SA-XD/XD(M) Range Reports

advice, beginner, sr9c

Search tags for this page

if im a first time shooter should i get a .38 or a .45

shooting xd.45 first time ammo

stoeger cougar forum

Click on a term to search for related topics.