• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

First time shooting

This is a discussion on First time shooting within the SA-XD/XD(M) Range Reports forums, part of the Information category; Originally Posted by 91 Whiskey Keep your finger away from the trigger until the gun is pointed down range and you are ready to fire. ...

Old 04-12-2011, 12:05 AM   #11
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 53827
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91 Whiskey View Post
Keep your finger away from the trigger until the gun is pointed down range and you are ready to fire. I went to the range yesterday with someone who kept putting his finger on the trigger while loading a fresh magazine. I asked him if he could stop doing that but he wouldn't listen. Don't thing I'll be going with him again.
Whenever I plan on taking someone "inexperienced" to shoot, I will clear my weapon and let them handle it CLEARED only. Then I watch what they do, correct it and watch them again... if they seem to not get the safety points after some time to learn, then they will not be handling a loaded weapon (and definitely not mine!) anywhere near me
Clinton1621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-12-2011, 12:33 AM   #12
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 37391
Location: The Great State of Texas By Choice, Louisiana by birth
Quote:
Originally Posted by chameleon View Post
Keep your booger hook off the bang button!

Lol!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

KnightyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:37 AM   #13
XDTalk Member

Member #: 56665
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson0317 View Post
The Winchester box of 100 can cost $29. Remington UMC can cost 59 bucks for 250 rounds at Gander Mountain. They just had a sale where a box of 250 cost 49 bucks with rebate. I now have 1150 rounds of emergency ammo squirreled away in addition to the ammo in my range case.

Take advantage of any sale you come across! If you are the really patient type, you can get a somewhat better deal from people who sponsor on this site.

RJ
Thank you for the suggestion. Just out of curiosity, what kind of emergency are you planning for? Lol.

"Those who are critical at heart are just dreamers who forgot to dream." -- Napoleon Hill, (I think so, anyways)
DudemanDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:39 AM   #14
XDTalk Member

Member #: 56665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clinton1621 View Post
Whenever I plan on taking someone "inexperienced" to shoot, I will clear my weapon and let them handle it CLEARED only. Then I watch what they do, correct it and watch them again... if they seem to not get the safety points after some time to learn, then they will not be handling a loaded weapon (and definitely not mine!) anywhere near me
I can honestly say that I handled the weapon very responsibly. I even dropped the slide and put the safety on when the mag and chamber were empty. My movements were slow and deliberate. I can't wait to be an owner and am going to enroll in a CCL class this Friday.

"Those who are critical at heart are just dreamers who forgot to dream." -- Napoleon Hill, (I think so, anyways)
DudemanDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 01:35 AM   #15
XDTalk 2K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudemanDavid View Post
I can honestly say that I handled the weapon very responsibly. I even dropped the slide and put the safety on when the mag and chamber were empty. My movements were slow and deliberate. I can't wait to be an owner and am going to enroll in a CCL class this Friday.
Sounds like you did good, always remember that a little common sense goes a long way... and safety first, foremost, and always! The life you save could be your own!
Old 04-12-2011, 01:37 AM   #16
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 55163
Quote:
Thank you for the suggestion. Just out of curiosity, what kind of emergency are you planning for? Lol.
Resident Evil: Real Life

Quote:
I can't wait to be an owner and am going to enroll in a CCL class this Friday.
That's the spirit! I'm glad I waited so long to become a gun owner. I appreciate it more.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:41 AM   #17
XDTalk 2K Member

Quote:
A thousand or so rounds may sound like a lot... but I have gone through a couple hundred in a matter of minutes at the range

I wouldnt call a thousand rounds an emergency supply, more like a standard range supply
Old 04-12-2011, 12:34 PM   #18
BAJ
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 55984
In less than a half-hour, shooting outside at a private range, I shot over 120 rounds, using 10 pre-loaded mags.

Goes much faster outdoors for some reason. We'd have shot more but two guys wanted to go after us.
BAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:04 PM   #19
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 54228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clinton1621 View Post
A thousand or so rounds may sound like a lot... but I have gone through a couple hundred in a matter of minutes at the range

I wouldnt call a thousand rounds an emergency supply, more like a standard range supply
I agree, I bought 300 rounds this weekend for my new stoeger cougar and i figured itd be good enough, but I ran out saturday quickly and was left without shooting the rest of the day
"Gun control means being able to hit your target. If I have a 'hot button' issue, this is definitely it. Don't even think about taking my guns. My rights are not negotiable, and I am totally unwilling to compromise when it comes to the Second Amendment."
-Michael Badnarik
Johick05 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Information » SA-XD/XD(M) Range Reports

advice, beginner, sr9c

Search tags for this page

if im a first time shooter should i get a .38 or a .45

shooting xd.45 first time ammo

stoeger cougar forum

Click on a term to search for related topics.