• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Marksmanship Training Software Q&A

This is a discussion on Marksmanship Training Software Q&A within the SA-XD/XD(M) Range Reports forums, part of the Information category; Hey all, a few questions for those of you nerdy or committed enough to track your marksmanship progress in the newfangled digital era. First, do ...

Old 03-04-2011, 06:44 PM   #1
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 54622
Question Marksmanship Training Software Q&A

Hey all, a few questions for those of you nerdy or committed enough to track your marksmanship progress in the newfangled digital era.

First, do you own or know of any MTS (Marksmanship Training Software)?
And how much did / does that software cost?

Secondly, what features would be in an MTS suited to your needs?
And how much would you pay for a full-featured software suite?

Any input you can provide would be awesome!

Last edited by memo; 04-30-2013 at 10:10 PM.
memo is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-04-2011, 09:48 PM   #2
XDTalk Member

Member #: 27308
The only software program I use is the program I use to print out the targets I designed. The target sheet has info listings such as the weapon used, ammo type, date, time, weather conditions, distance, and of course the target itself. I keep these in a binder where I can see my progress with the turn of a page. It is also my way of keeping track of ammo characteristics such as the all important accuracy when I try a different brand or grain. I also keep a summary page in the binder to remind me of which ammo works best in each firearm. I couldn't find a MTS either so I had to come up with my own log book. Hope this helps.
Diligent1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:04 AM   #3
XDTalk 1K Member

Ammo grain tracking option too!

@Diligent1:

That's a good idea to track ammo grain / load performance as well as shooter performance.

Would it be helpful if a program could, given your previous performance with ammo 1, determine whether or not ammo 2 performed better? And not just "I think it did better", but be able to tell you within a measurable degree "there is a 95% probability that this ammunition type will consistently perform better for you". Would that be a desirable feature?

How do you typically measure "accuracy"? E.g., some people like to use a 1" square or 1" diameter circle for rifle benchmarking... others use a spread-hand width for defensive marksmanship inside 7 yards.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:56 AM   #4
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 53056
I don't know what it is, but I've seen folks using some kind of competition timer.

Someone ought to be able to make this as a smartphone app using the phone's microphone. Might also be cool if you photographed your target and it was able to log your shots, measure groups, and track progress.

Should be pre-programmed with drills designed to improve various skills. 2-second drill, etc.
Obscura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:14 AM   #5
XDTalk 1K Member

Thanks Obscura!

How large are your targets, typically? (Cardboard box or standing rigging, etc)

Also, what's your typical distance-to-target?

Old 03-05-2011, 01:23 PM   #6
XDTalk Member

Member #: 27308
I print my targets on graph paper with quarter inch grid lines. Helps in shot spacing measurements when I'm on the range (backyard). As for a program for ammo performance, yes some ammo performance will be different depending on such things as the lot number. This is usually the case on cheaper ammo though.
Diligent1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:40 PM   #7
XDTalk 1K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diligent1 View Post
I print my targets on graph paper with quarter inch grid lines. Helps in shot spacing measurements when I'm on the range (backyard). As for a program for ammo performance, yes some ammo performance will be different depending on such things as the lot number. This is usually the case on cheaper ammo though.
I've yet to put a round of that Tula or Wolf "stuff" through either of my weapons. As long as I can get S&B quality brass for about $0.20/shot, I'm using it. That said, both my subcompact and service models seem to like the S&B Green Box ammo better than the WWB, which is nice because the price point on S&B is lower in bulk anyway.

Here's another question: what if you could track your performance across various target engagement ranges?

For example, a 4" diameter shot spread covers (x) degrees at (r) feet. Knowing that, I don't need a shot group profile for every distance I practice with; I just need to know how much variability there is in the angle of my aim profile. Ideally, the only thing that should change with distance is elevation compensation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obscura View Post
Might also be cool if you photographed your target and it was able to log your shots, measure groups, and track progress.
That's my original idea, but not enough to market a feature-rich suite. Hence the thread -- many thanks for input!
Old 03-09-2011, 08:51 PM   #8
XDTalk Member

Member #: 54957
I keep track of every shot I fire through all my new weapons especialy my handguns which can be more finicky about ammo. Things I keep track of are winds, humidity, realtive temperature, shots fired, what ammo I shot (new heading for every round type I fire, so if I fire 25 180gr and 25 165gr thats two headings) the date of course, how many malfunctions and what type, I keep track of how many rounds I shoot through each mag so I can measure mag life and predict around when they might fail (I number them on the baseplate), and my general understanding of the ammo's performance. Relyability, accuracy, and how dirty it is (dirt I rate on a 1-5). I would love to have a program to keep track of all this, being able to print paper backups would be cool too. right now I just keep track in whatever little book I come across. My XDM .40's current shot book is a little girls gellyroller journal I found while cleaning up after an estate sale.
HobbyShootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 03:21 PM   #9
XDTalk Member

Member #: 53907
I shoot at 4" dots at 7yrds most of the time. I just track how many shots fall outside of the dots in a notes application in my phone. I'm getting around 90% hits for now. Probably time to move to 10yrds.

Anything more than that would probably be more data entry than im interested in.
FauxReel is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Information » SA-XD/XD(M) Range Reports

features, marksmanship, software, training

Search tags for this page
keep track of marksmanship
marksman log
marksman log book
marksman logbook case
marksman software
marksman training

marksmanship log

marksmanship software

marksmanship tracking log
marksmanship tracking software
marksmanship trainer software

marksmanship training software

off the grid holster
rounds tracking software
softwear to inprove marksmanship
xd in marksmanship
Click on a term to search for related topics.