• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

How to sell a gun FTF or when FFL are involved?

This is a discussion on How to sell a gun FTF or when FFL are involved? within the SA-XD/XD(M) FAQ & Stickies forums, part of the Information category; Just like the title states, I am really curious in what's involved either way and what is most important, does selling the gun through a ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Information » SA-XD/XD(M) FAQ & Stickies » How to sell a gun FTF or when FFL are involved?

Old 05-13-2011, 05:33 PM   #1
XDTalk Member

Member #: 43809
How to sell a gun FTF or when FFL are involved?

Just like the title states, I am really curious in what's involved either way and what is most important, does selling the gun through a FFL clear your name from the gun. I don't want it to come back and haunt me if I do sell it. Thanks. And I know I don't have a enough post to sell it on the forum so please don't bring that up. My intentions are not to sell it on here. Thanks.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:58 PM   #2
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 21693
Is this FTF in the same state or different state? If a different state or if the person lives in a different state, you have to go through a FFL. If in the same state, it varies, and I would recommend you contact your local law enforcement. Some states do not require a FFL for a FTF sale, but I would recommend it just to be on the safe side. Worth any extra fees to ensure that you're not selling to someone who can't own. I found this link below with some information, but, as always, take advice from the Internet with a grain of salt.

I'm not a lawyer, never was a lawyer, never will be a lawyer and did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Kansas Gun Laws - What Are the Gun Laws in Kansas?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

Old 05-13-2011, 06:04 PM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 54491
I just sold a pistol to my boss and didn't need to go through a FFL. He and I both have a CPL and apparently that makes it so we can do the paperwork just between each other and he goes and turns in the two pieces of paper to the cops and we're done. I did originally meet him at the range I go to because I thought we needed them to do the transfer because of the FFL, but they just gave me a copy of the paperwork and told me I didn't need it because we both had a CPL. I live in MI, so still check with the local LEO and be sure.
Savage 64f .22
operator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:23 PM   #4
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 60036
In Florida if you are selling to another person in person all you need is bill of sale and photocopy of each persons DL.
Maybe it's just me but hearing a guy say he has no interest in knives or guns is like a guy having no interest in horsepower, tools, beer, or boobs. ....it's just somehow wrong. Originally Posted by BryFry on BladeForums.
Smoakie976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:22 PM   #5
XDTalk 20K Member

Member #: 26776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoakie976 View Post
In Florida if you are selling to another person in person all you need is bill of sale and photocopy of each persons DL.
Bill of sale is not required at all. It's a good idea, but not required.
Just gotta have no reason to believe the person was ineligible to own a firearm.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:32 PM   #6
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 60036
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNO3 View Post
Bill of sale is not required at all. It's a good idea, but not required.
Just gotta have no reason to believe the person was ineligible to own a firearm.
I see, I thought that it was, I guess it a good way to CYA.
Maybe it's just me but hearing a guy say he has no interest in knives or guns is like a guy having no interest in horsepower, tools, beer, or boobs. ....it's just somehow wrong. Originally Posted by BryFry on BladeForums.
Smoakie976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 04:46 PM   #7
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 27123
Check your state laws.

Personally, when I sell a handgun privately, I have a bill of sale, and unless I know the person I am selling it to well, I want to see their DL and either their Minnesota Permit to Purchase or Permit to Carry.

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding it's way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge".--Isaac Asimov
Cuda66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:56 AM   #8
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 38362
There are 50 states (some think 57, but my 3rd grade teacher was adamant it was 50) and each state has a little twist to the laws. Always check your state's laws! You aren't the federal government so you can't flout the laws, beotch slap Blind Justice and get away with it like you were a BATFe agent!

Tactical black cat - sleeps in doorways

A right unused become a privilege for the ruling class.

john_bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:56 PM   #9
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 38059
I'm stationed in California and recently bought a pistol from a private party. After checking the laws here, both parties have to go to an ffl with the firearm and do the standard background checks and pay a $35 transfer fee. Needless to say I can't wait to pcs. Ha
ArmyBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:41 PM   #10
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 45818
Sellin in FL

In FL if you both are residents then you can sell person2person and no need for paperwork. If you feel or know that that person should not own a gun (priors, mentally inept, or under the influence of drugs including marijuana) then you've committed a big F. That person lives in another state then your neighborhood FFL (federal firearms licensee) must ship the gun to his states FFL for NICS background check. Good luck
Moses2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Information » SA-XD/XD(M) FAQ & Stickies

Search tags for this page
can i ftf sale gun
different between ffl and ftf
ffl ftf
ffl to sell guns
ftf - firearms

ftf gun

ftf gun sale mo to va

ftf sale

ftf sales handguns
how to sell a gun through an ffl
how to sell a gun through ffl
selling guns back to ffl
what is an ftf sale

what is ftf gun

what is ftf sale
when is a ffl needed in kansas
Click on a term to search for related topics.